PDA

View Full Version : Carving one piece both sides

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Ok guys right brain/left brain time here. I am making a chair thats arms can be carved both sides. What I'd like to do is run one side as a rough rectangle would I just mirror the pattern and run the board back through for the Bside?

Thanks in advance for 'splaining it to me' in advance.

J

Aaron B
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
If I am understanding what you want, you must rotate the pattern 180 degrees and then do flip horizontally. You would do this to the pattern on the back side only.

This is just assuming you take a pattern from the file and just place it on the front side of the board on don't do anything to it. If you do something to the front pattern, like rotating it, you must take that into account when doing the back.

If you flip the board back and forth from front to back or rotate the board around you should be able to see what you need to do. Hope this helps

BobHill
02-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Julie,

Make your front design as you'd wish it, but do not cut through the wood. Copy (Control C) that design and click the "R" side and Control V (paste) and then flip vertically and now either cut through or if you did the outline cut 1/2 way on the front, do the same to the rear. Make your own tabs in this case so your bit won't catch anywhere while doing the cut out, then remove the insides manually when the carving is done.

Bob

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you very much both of you - I'm sure some of you where smacking your heads asking yourselves whats wrong with her. But I just couldnt 'see it'.

Thanks allot. I'll be sure to post photos and let you know how this all turns out.

BTW I wont be cutting the wood with this- its going to be out of white oak, and over 1 1/2" thick. I'll be cutting it out with the bandsaw after the fact.

Julie

BobHill
02-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Julie,

I know you just love to use your bandsaw <g>, but why not have the CarveWright do the cut out? Remember that the limit is 1", but since you can use up to 5" thick wood, why not have each side with a bit cut out depth of 3/4" and that'll do it just fine (with manual tabs, of course).

Bob

pkunk
02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Julie,

I know you just love to use your bandsaw <g>, but why not have the CarveWright do the cut out? Remember that the limit is 1", but since you can use up to 5" thick wood, why not have each side with a bit cut out depth of 3/4" and that'll do it just fine (with manual tabs, of course).

Bob
Maybe because a bandsaw is 10 times faster that the CW.:)

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 08:46 PM
LOL Bob that was funny- yes I do love my bandsaw but pkunk is right it is faster.

I will use the CC for cutting out filigree work- but then I have to ask myself why I own a Hegner scroll saw. Its painful to set aside these wonderful tools I worked so hard to get and besides while I'm cutting the one out I can already be carving another !

Julie

BobHill
02-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Good points <g>.

Bob

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Well a girl has to have her priorities straight and besides I just bought my Hegner about 3 weeks before I learned about the CC. My husband would KILL ME if I told him sorry hun don't need that 1300.00 scroll saw anymore.

J

liquidguitars
02-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Maybe because a bandsaw is 10 times faster that the CW.:)

yes on large cuts for sure. But I just did a small 2 sided project and the objects just fit like a glove, if the design size is right like Bob said, you will not even have to cut the outside shapes.

Liq

Julie Coffey
02-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks for your imput Liquid- btw I went to your site- you do some VERY nice work.

Julie :)

liquidguitars
02-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Julie,
Set you depth just under the size of the board, so if you work is .75 you can set the cut to .74 making your own tabs is a good idea too. "thanks Bob"