PDA

View Full Version : Designer 3.0 and Vector Grouping feature

Ton80
06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
So this "sounds" like what I've been waiting for but I am hoping that there will be some videos possibly posted over the next few weeks addressing exactly how it works and doesn't work... Reading the new 3.0 manual that Connie posted, it sounds like the vector files have be drawn in a very strictly formatted way in order for the importing to work. This just makes me a bit curious as to exactly what this means and what I need to do with existing vector art which has worked fine for font/centerline importing up to this point.

Maybe the videos can address what types of issues with vector drawings would cause designer to not allow the vector grouping option to work.

I am also gathering that the DXF importing feature has to be license for all of this to come together, right?

I'm sure all of this is going to be addressed so forgive me... i've been holding my breath for a few years on this feature so I am gasping a bit at the moment ;)

lynnfrwd
06-30-2014, 01:04 PM
You can use drawing tools or, if you have DXF Importer, you can import a DXF file.

lynnfrwd
06-30-2014, 01:04 PM
I think it has to be a closed path.

fwharris
06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
I think it has to be a closed path.

And if I heard it all correctly the paths should not touch or cross.

mtylerfl
06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
I copy/pasted this from the Senior Members section so that all can read...

It works like every other CNC V-carve task. You draw closed vector shapes making sure none of the outlines overlap another (i.e., no vector line shapes can touch another).

You can draw your designs within Designer, or draw them in another program such as CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator or the free InkScape drawing program. If drawn using another program, then the drawing has to be saved/exported as DXF format.

Once that is done, you can import the drawing into Designer with the DXF Importer add-on software. This add-on has proven invaluable to me, long before the V-carve capabilities were available! Free vector patterns, logos, drawings are already available for free from a number of online sources. One of my favorite sources is http://vectorlady.com/ (http://vectorlady.com/) tons of vectors totally free and no restrictions on their use...either for personal or commercial. Remember though, you MUST convert the vectors to DXF (can do that with InkScape or the other drawing programs mentioned previously) and you MUST own the DXF Importer to be able to put them to use in your Designer software.

So, YES. You can import then carve V-carve designs with the new version 3. A feature many of us have had on the "wish list" for quite some time and it is here now!

mtylerfl
06-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Here's some pics of a test V-carve I did...

Ton80
06-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Michael, that is a nice example and looks like it came out great! I'm very excited about this new feature set...even if it means I'll need to plunk down about $500 in software upgrades... ouch.

The part that made me wonder a bit is the non-overlapping of vector lines. SO, no paths can intersect anywhere in a vector drawing then? To use an example of something I'm wondering how you would deal with, what if you drew a vector image of a face and included some lines that formed eye lashes. You may very well have some of those paths that intersect to have to proper look to the eyelash. Would you need to use a command in the vector program that transforms those overlapping paths into a solid, closed path? Something like the UNION command in INKSCAPE? I hope I am using proper terminology on this but I think you will understand what I'm asking based on thinking about drawing eyelashes.

mtylerfl
07-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Yes, you can merge overlapping shapes to end up with a solid closed shape in InkScape or other drawing programs. In the CarveWright 2D Drawing tools, you can draw overlapping shapes, then just use the Line Trim Tool to merge the shapes into a single, closed vector shape.

For V-carving, no lines or shapes overlap or touch. Your design can certainly include open vectors that you could assign a bit manually to, but those cannot be part of the make vector group intended for V-carving.

Tip: you generally want to make the closed shapes and gaps in between them (not the actual shape SIZE but the distance between the lines of a shape or gap), no wider than the diameter of the bit being used (the CarveWright 60 or 90 degree v-bits, in this case). That is not a 'hard-and-fast' rule, but keep in mind that if a shape area exceeds the bit diameter (i.e., distance between the vectors), there will be an uncarved area or 'island' in the center of the shape (similar to when doing large centerline lettering). These uncarved islands can actually be a decorative detail enhancement to the overall design, so it's something to keep in mind when doing your V-carve drawings/layouts.

cestout
07-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Are we going to get some video examples of the new features?
Clint

lynnfrwd
07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Working on all that...

FWMiller
07-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Do you have control over the max allowed depth in v-carve? Or is it fixed like with centerline?

mtylerfl
07-01-2014, 06:35 PM
V-Carve depth is always determined automatically by the distance between the vectors...similar to the way centerline text is calculated. A v-bit travels down into the wood as far as the distance between enclosing vectors allow, but no deeper than the depth of the cutting flutes of the bit itself. Again, this is the same as centerline text carving.

Even if you wanted to manually control depth (which you really don't), it would distort/spoil your design (and text).

BTW, if you own the Conform add-on, you can V-carve on domes, a dished area and within carve regions!

mtylerfl
07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Do you have control over the max allowed depth in v-carve? Or is it fixed like with centerline?

I may have misunderstood your question...I think you meant can you set a Max Pass for V-carving so the job would be performed in multiple passes (sort of like the drill, manual bit assignments or Cut Path functions). Answer - No, you can't. I don't think this will be a problem - the tests I have done don't seem to have the "need" for that anyway.

FWMiller
07-03-2014, 09:44 AM
V-Carve depth is always determined automatically by the distance between the vectors...similar to the way centerline text is calculated. A v-bit travels down into the wood as far as the distance between enclosing vectors allow, but no deeper than the depth of the cutting flutes of the bit itself. Again, this is the same as centerline text carving.

Even if you wanted to manually control depth (which you really don't), it would distort/spoil your design (and text).

My question is related to whether or not the software limits the max depth it will allow the bit to go, in effect limiting the width of the v-carve you can do. I don't want to manually control the depth of the entire carve just the max depth. I notice in centerline that the maximum depth is about .225 before it splits the carve into two paths. My 90 degree bit can cut about 3/8" deep and up to about 5/8" in width at max depth. I think the CW bit is about the same. I would like the ability to cut deeper than .225, which would also require multiple passes.

In a related topic on vector carving, if the cut out region between two vectors is wider than the max width that can be done on one pass, is the bottom be carved flat at the max depth or does it simply make a pass at each edge leaving two overlapping v-grooves?

RMarkey
07-03-2014, 09:53 AM
limiting the width of the v-carve

same as in centerline, it splits into multiple paths. The bottom is not carved flat (not possible w/ a 90v... :p )

I should state you can convert the vector path into a pattern and edit it, or otherwise add raster regions to achieve the flats you are looking for

mtylerfl
07-03-2014, 10:03 AM
In a related topic on vector carving, if the cut out region between two vectors is wider than the max width that can be done on one pass, is the bottom be carved flat at the max depth or does it simply make a pass at each edge leaving two overlapping v-grooves?

Please see the earlier post #8 (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25822-Designer-3-0-and-Vector-Grouping-feature&p=231103#post231103) in this thread.

Ton80
07-06-2014, 09:55 AM
same as in centerline, it splits into multiple paths. The bottom is not carved flat (not possible w/ a 90v... :p )

I should state you can convert the vector path into a pattern and edit it, or otherwise add raster regions to achieve the flats you are looking for

I have done this in the past with v-carves that needed islands of wood leveled out but I instead do it by hand in the shop with a router because it's a bit faster but it's a good point to note!

OK Michael, here is an example to see what you think is more suited to the type of carvings I am doing. I have downloaded the demo but haven't installed yet because my time has been stretched to it's limits lately.

This represents a typical level of detail I have in a project that is currently V-carved with Centerline as a font. Process is to vectorize the image in inkscape then export that image as a PNG. The PNG file is them imported to font software where it's again traced automatically with the import feature available ( in my case Fontlab's ScanFont ). Then imported into designer as a font or multiple fonts which are placed and scaled appropriately. I guess my question is if I told you that this particular project took about 10 minutes to import using that routine, do you see any problems with the way grouped vectors are dealt with based on the B/W image which I have attached? I am not sure if some or many of these lines/paths would be considered a problem.
This is the PNG export of my SVG vector from inkscape70417
This is the resulting Centerline carve after I have imported that PNG into my font software as font glyphs70419

This is the preliminary painting work which makes it easier to see how detailed of a v-carve I am able to fairly easily get using my current process.70418

brdad
07-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I've not had great luck using the same font software making anything that detailed especially when they are carved large, so I hope the vector groups make it easier.

Regarding the limitation of not overlapping vectors, can you make two independent vector groups and have those overlap without issue? In other words, if I had a dog as a vector group and a fire hydrant as a separate vector group, could those overlap?

DocWheeler
07-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Ton80,

That looks great. I need to use my time better and learn how to do that.

DickB
07-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Is it possible to import a black-and-white image as a pattern, outline the pattern, then apply v-carve?

70434 70435

Capt Bruce
07-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Can't swear to this as I'm still waiting for my Ver 3 license. You are on the right path to get the vector lines as you illustrated using outline. Each dotted line would then become a vector and you can assign a V Bit (60 or 90 degree) and save the design. Since all are vector lines you should be able to size the whole thing to what you want.

Designer 2.007 will carve them as single lines centered on your pattern's lines at the single depth you specify and that will determine their width. With new Designer Ver 3 Vector Carving feature you would be able to click the individual groups or closed vector shapes and the bit will carve to the width and depth of that space or line. If the line or area exceeds the max carving diameter of your V Bit I think it will resort to following the outline of the vector shape but not do the center area that exceeds that diameter.

Again, others who have worked more with it will probably give you a more fact based answer.

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
OK.. Call me stupid but I have a question..

After a vector group is made and bit selection, etc is finished.. How do you go back to the vector group window to change things if you don't like the actual appearance? Is there a way to change a 'Vector Group' back to a normal path?

Thanks,

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Suggestions for Vector Group feature:

1 - have a way to change a Vector Group back to a normal path without having to use 'Undo'.
2 - Have a way to edit the properties of a Vector Group after you have pressed the 'OK' in the dialog box.
3 - Have a way to adjust the bit depth. I could not find this.
4 - Disable (ghost/gray out) in the drop down menus, any puffing, etc. after a vector group is established as these features are no longer available to these groups. I can select them now to a vector group and go to the requester where it is ghosted out but is should be done in the drop down menus and not be able to be selected in the first place.

Added: I just found that if I select a closed vector and hit the cutout button there is no 'Cancel' button on the dialog box. To get out you have to press 'Accept' then 'Undo' the operation. Is this normal? I just tested this with a Windows version and it does not have a 'Cancel' either but it DOES have a close dialog/window button in the upper right corner. If the Mac version had this same feature that would solve the issue.

Added-2: If I place a simple closed circle and make it a vector group it displays correctly. If I select that group and 'Delete' it the drawing line disappears but the carving on the board remains. If I do the same thing but instead assign a 90 degree V-Bit it shows the board with the carving. When I select and delete it the carving on the board goes away as it should.

I work with vectors a good bit and simulating chip carving is a great add-on. These changes are not suggested to be critical but to help with the software. If I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks,

DickB
07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Can't swear to this as I'm still waiting for my Ver 3 license. You are on the right path to get the vector lines as you illustrated using outline. Each dotted line would then become a vector and you can assign a V Bit (60 or 90 degree) and save the design. Since all are vector lines you should be able to size the whole thing to what you want.
Capt, what I want is the v-bit to carve out the area BETWEEN the dotted lines, to make a carving that if colored in black would look like the graphic at the left.

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Dick,
Are you asking for a Pocket Carve with a straight bit? VCarve Pro can generate these types of tool paths for a straight bit but Designer doesn't yet have that capability to my knowledge. I wish it did!

You have a DXF file of that design I can see if I can generate the tool paths for you in VCarve. PM me if you would like.

Thanks

SteveNelson46
07-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Is it possible to import a black-and-white image as a pattern, outline the pattern, then apply v-carve?

70434 70435

Something like this?

dltccf
07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Something like this?

Wow, I wasn't getting the possibilities of this vector grouping in 3.0 yet until I saw that, I must go search a random internet pattern and try that. If it works then it opens some amazing possibilities.

dave

mtylerfl
07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
OK.. Call me stupid but I have a question..

After a vector group is made and bit selection, etc is finished.. How do you go back to the vector group window to change things if you don't like the actual appearance? Is there a way to change a 'Vector Group' back to a normal path?

Thanks,

Just right-click on the vector group header (from your Carving List is easiest) and select the Make Vector Group again...this allows you to make edits as often as you wish.

You can simply drag any vectors you want, out of the group if you want them to become "normal" vectors again. Don't forget to re-select the vector group/make vector group to update the remaining (if any) vectors you had already made into v-carves.

DickB
07-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Something like this?Yes, the first one, exactly. Edit: Actually, I was looking to do the second, but the first looks cool as well.

DickB
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Wow, I wasn't getting the possibilities of this vector grouping in 3.0 yet until I saw that, I must go search a random internet pattern and try that. If it works then it opens some amazing possibilities.

dave
Yes, agreed!

SteveNelson46
07-07-2014, 05:08 PM
I used CorelDraw to trace the bitmap and then saved it as a .dxf and imported it. You could import the image as a pattern and then use the Designer vector tools to manually trace the outline but, the trace bitmap feature in Corel Draw was faster.

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks Michael.

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 05:55 PM
I used CorelDraw to trace the bitmap and then saved it as a .dxf and imported it. You could import the image as a pattern and then use the Designer vector tools to manually trace the outline but, the trace bitmap feature in Corel Draw was faster.

How did you get designer to clear cut the areas between the vector lines?

Thx,

SteveNelson46
07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
How did you get designer to clear cut the areas between the vector lines?

Thx,

The Vector Group function did it. I just left everything set at the default settings.

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 06:03 PM
You using the Windows version? On my Mac I tell it what to clear out and I get two VCarve areas but between is untouched. I am wondering if is the Mac version or me..

DickB
07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
So I can't use Outline Pattern?

henry1
07-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Something like this?
Guest you need the 3.0 to able to do this type of carving

SteveNelson46
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
So I can't use Outline Pattern?

Apparently not. Outlining the pattern does not make true editable vectors so the Vector Group feature doesn't work.

lynnfrwd
07-07-2014, 06:57 PM
My paths from outline were closed in that I could assign a carve region or cut path, but wouldn't let me make vector group. I'll try to figure that out with software engineers tomorrow to see if it is possible.

SteveEJ
07-07-2014, 07:00 PM
For the Designer programmers:

1 - I have verified that on the Windows version of Designer the option "Make Vector Group" works correctly from the 'Tools' Menu, Carving list right click and the 'Utility' tool bar button. Once the Vector Group is made, it still works from all three options. It DOES NOT work that way on the Mac version. After the Vector Group is established it ONLY WORKS from the carve list. The Toolbar button and the Tools menu items are disabled.

2 - The Cut Path dialog box in Windows contains the standard Windows Close/minimize/maximize buttons, the Mac version does not have these options in its dialog box. The only way out for a Mac is to accept and undo where as for Windows users can select the close window button to exit.

Hope this helps.

SteveNelson46
07-07-2014, 07:18 PM
My paths from outline were closed in that I could assign a carve region or cut path, but wouldn't let me make vector group. I'll try to figure that out with software engineers tomorrow to see if it is possible.

Attached is the file of an outline of the pattern after editing in the PE. Also attached is a .mpc with the dxf file imported. Maybe someone can come up with ideas that I missed,

DickB
07-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks! It would be a big plus if this were or became possible.

Capt Bruce
07-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Evening Group,

In another thread I had posted the MacKenzie Clan file (1st below) as imported with DFX Importer. That showed what you would get carving every single vector line (Some 200+ lines) supplied by Vector Clip 3D. Today I loaded up Ver. 3.0 and took that design through the whole process of Vector Group. Here are some screen views of the output. Wow, does exactly what I've been waiting for, just like Centerline Text.

When each picture opens be sure to click on it again to open it to full size and really see the details

70455 70457 70459
Vector Lines only, Full Vector Group, Vector Detail

You can clearly see the variable carve depths of each line and the variable line width being created by the 60 degree V Bit.
I'll try carving this 11 x 11 plaque tomorrow and add some more photos here to show the real carving result in the wood.

I hope this will aid others in deciding if Designer Ver. 3 will do what you want.

Time to go inspect the inside of my eyelids for the night.

Capt Bruce
07-08-2014, 11:10 AM
To Michael, or someone who has worked with Vector Group function more than I have . . . .

When I fully processed the VC3D vector image of the Ram Head it renders in what I expect will be the Vector carving using the 60 degree V bit. Upon zooming in on that rendering the lines and valleys look like they are going to carve with the default 1/16" carving bit as raster areas rather than what I expected to see from the V bit. Please see images below.

70466 70467

I have not carved this yet and before I commit to a piece of wood and the estimated 1 hr 56 min carve I just wanted to ask if I'm expecting too much of the rendering system using this new Vector Group technique (or if I messed up and did not fully save the vector design). Your advice would be appreciated and thanks Gents. Still learning every day thank Goodness.

mtylerfl
07-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi Bruce,

It won't carve with the regular 1/16" bit...that's not allowed for the v-carve function (can use the 60 or 90-degree only for now).

I would go ahead and carve it as usual, using the 60-degree you already assigned to the Vector Group.

One thing people will learn ....certain v-carve regions that are very, very close together will likely "blow-out" (chip out). You can get surprisingly close alright, but you will learn what you can and cannot get away with on certain woods and certain designs. Hard to take account of every situation...experience is the best teacher.

I predict that there will be some areas of your design that will chip out, but even so, it may be acceptable. A test carve will tell. Let us know how you make out after you run it.

SteveNelson46
07-08-2014, 03:04 PM
You still can do some interesting things with just the 2D and 3D add-on tools

lynnfrwd
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
OK...official word from software engineers is that you cannot outline a pattern and use that to Make Vector Group. You must use the drawing tools or import a dxf file. The reason was GREEK to me, but it has to do with the programming for outline pattern function that was produced 6 or 7 years ago.

:(

brdad
07-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Perhaps the outline function needs to be re-written then. It would also benefit other functions, I know I wish I could edit an outline on projects before.

mtylerfl
07-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Perhaps the outline function needs to be re-written then. It would also benefit other functions, I know I wish I could edit an outline on projects before.

For now, you can easily use the FREE Inkscape program to import a bitmap, trace it, then save the vectors to DXF. You do need to own the Carvewright DXF Importer. I consider the DXF Importer a "staple" add-on anyway - long before the V-Carve functionality was added. DXF Import is a very useful function - I use it for the majority of my CW project layouts, as I often draw my vectors in other programs (albeit more out of habit than necessity sometimes).

If anyone is "foggy" on how to use Inkscape to do a bitmap trace and save the vectors as DXF...holler. Either me or someone else can answer your questions on that.

mtylerfl
07-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I did a one minute search on yahoo...here is a video tutorial on bitmap tracing in Inkscape. I think just about anyone can learn the basic process from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzmdqwFpxp8

After you have your traced vectors, you use "Save As" and choose the Desktop Cutting Plotter R13 DXF format. Then import that into Designer via the DXF Importer.

EDIT: Here is another video tutorial on tracing with InkScape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEnQW_rOGw

DickB
07-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the update lynfrwd. I'm with brdad, I think this would be a great enhancement. mtylerfl, thanks for pointing out another way to do this, but it would be nice to not require DXF Importer. I will consider getting the DXF add-on. I hope LHR keeps having contests so I have a chance at winning more store credit!

brdad
07-08-2014, 07:30 PM
I have Inkscape I use for other non-carving work on occasion. But for me I can't justify the DXF importer. Most items I trace I make a custom wood with the image I want and trace manually in designer. I'm sure it takes longer but I just don't sell enough projects and usually they are not overly complicated. And at that point I end up applying a fixed-depth vector to the lines or a depth profile. Hopefully vector groups will eliminate the need to do most of that.

Also, in the latter part of my example, I have had times when I've outlined a pattern (often someone else's so I do not have the original graphic) and want to alter it, or to repair those un-closed outlines so you can make a carve region out of it.

mtylerfl
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I have Inkscape I use for other non-carving work on occasion. But for me I can't justify the DXF importer. Most items I trace I make a custom wood with the image I want and trace manually in designer. I'm sure it takes longer but I just don't sell enough projects and usually they are not overly complicated. And at that point I end up applying a fixed-depth vector to the lines or a depth profile. Hopefully vector groups will eliminate the need to do most of that.

Also, in the latter part of my example, I have had times when I've outlined a pattern (often someone else's so I do not have the original graphic) and want to alter it, or to repair those un-closed outlines so you can make a carve region out of it.

Sounds to me like you could benefit greatly and immediately with the DXF Importer. But, to each his own!

SteveEJ
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Connie,
Were the engineers able to verify the issues I brought up? Do you know if they are on the list for fixes?

Thx,

Capt Bruce
07-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi Bruce,

It won't carve with the regular 1/16" bit...that's not allowed for the v-carve function (can use the 60 or 90-degree only for now).

I would go ahead and carve it as usual, using the 60-degree you already assigned to the Vector Group.

I predict that there will be some areas of your design that will chip out, but even so, it may be acceptable. A test carve will tell. Let us know how you make out after you run it.

Thanks Michael,

I fully expect that it will carve completely with the assigned 60 degree V Bit not the 1/16" Carving bit. It was just curious to me that in looking at the close up detail view, that the bottoms of the "carved lines" look more like the bottom surface that would be left by a raster carving (rounded rather than sharp V). I hope I will find this is just a default of the rendering system rather than a true prediction of the carved output. Sometimes I worry too much about these processes, and instead I should walk down to the shop with the card and carve the darn thing. Paralysis through analysis.
Thanks again

lynnfrwd
07-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Suggestions for Vector Group feature:

1 - have a way to change a Vector Group back to a normal path without having to use 'Undo'.
2 - Have a way to edit the properties of a Vector Group after you have pressed the 'OK' in the dialog box.
3 - Have a way to adjust the bit depth. I could not find this.
4 - Disable (ghost/gray out) in the drop down menus, any puffing, etc. after a vector group is established as these features are no longer available to these groups. I can select them now to a vector group and go to the requester where it is ghosted out but is should be done in the drop down menus and not be able to be selected in the first place.

Added: I just found that if I select a closed vector and hit the cutout button there is no 'Cancel' button on the dialog box. To get out you have to press 'Accept' then 'Undo' the operation. Is this normal? I just tested this with a Windows version and it does not have a 'Cancel' either but it DOES have a close dialog/window button in the upper right corner. If the Mac version had this same feature that would solve the issue.

Added-2: If I place a simple closed circle and make it a vector group it displays correctly. If I select that group and 'Delete' it the drawing line disappears but the carving on the board remains. If I do the same thing but instead assign a 90 degree V-Bit it shows the board with the carving. When I select and delete it the carving on the board goes away as it should.

I work with vectors a good bit and simulating chip carving is a great add-on. These changes are not suggested to be critical but to help with the software. If I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks,

I will bring this to their attention and ask.

brdad
07-09-2014, 06:23 AM
Sounds to me like you could benefit greatly and immediately with the DXF Importer. But, to each his own!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but how do you end up with a single trace line using Inkscape trace bitmap / DXF Importer? I just played with both using the demo for DXF as well as looked at several videos and it would appear I'd have to manually create my own single traces anyway as the trace bitmap function merely traces the outline of the lines of a line drawing. I can see where it might help if I want those outlines to make carve regions and it should work fine with the new vector groups, but I don't see it making a single trace suitable for making a centerline-ish vector cut. Example below is a current project - generally my original artwork is better quality, but this was the customer's artwork from a PDF. I used my custom woods method and manually traced for this and would guess it took a bit less than 10 minutes to trace.

Ton80
07-09-2014, 07:02 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but how do you end up with a single trace line using Inkscape trace bitmap / DXF Importer? I just played with both using the demo for DXF as well as looked at several videos and it would appear I'd have to manually create my own single traces anyway as the trace bitmap function merely traces the outline of the lines of a line drawing. I can see where it might help if I want those outlines to make carve regions and it should work fine with the new vector groups, but I don't see it making a single trace suitable for making a centerline-ish vector cut. Example below is a current project - generally my original artwork is better quality, but this was the customer's artwork from a PDF. I used my custom woods method and manually traced for this and would guess it took a bit less than 10 minutes to trace.

Just to jump back a few days, you mentioned you weren't able to get the same results I was using the ScanFont software... if you tried to feed it the pdf image your customer sent you that would be part of the problem. I always import such artwork to inkscape and vectorize it before exporting back to raster format ( PNG ) and letting ScanFont do it's thing. That way you have a very clean image with no artifacts or pixelations, which will cause problems. Even the folks at FontLabs were surprised at the amount of detail I am able to get into those font glyphs... not sure why because I'm only using their software and I don't have any special tricks that I incorporate.

I'm going to have play with the 3.0 demo/DXF demo a bit because I am really not sure whether it's a better answer for my work... I've gotten pretty good at using font software to import my images and a $500 investment that might not work with the vector images I currently have on file is a big concern.

Maybe I am wrong but maybe the 2d drawing tool package is a better investment for you than the DXF import is. Since it sounds like the 2d drawing package combined with Designer 3.0 will allow you to trace your images directly within Designer and then create a vector group. Sounds like that is much closer to your current process than using inkscape/DXF is.

SteveEJ
07-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Connie.. This is what I verified and wanted to bring to their attention:

"For the Designer programmers:

1 - I have verified that on the Windows version of Designer the option "Make Vector Group" works correctly from the 'Tools' Menu, Carving list right click and the 'Utility' tool bar button. Once the Vector Group is made, it still works from all three options. It DOES NOT work that way on the Mac version. After the Vector Group is established it ONLY WORKS from the carve list. The Toolbar button and the Tools menu items are disabled.

2 - The Cut Path dialog box in Windows contains the standard Windows Close/minimize/maximize buttons, the Mac version does not have these options in its dialog box. The only way out for a Mac is to accept and undo where as for Windows users can select the close window button to exit.

Hope this helps."

I will bring this to their attention and ask.

mtylerfl
07-09-2014, 10:05 AM

As far as I know, InkScape does not have centerline trace capability. The later versions of CorelDraw do (after version X3 if I remember correctly...I have X6 and it does centerline trace) and so does Adobe Illustrator. Before Corel added centerline trace, I bought Illustrator for that and also to be compatible with my Mac friends' files.

brdad
07-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Just to jump back a few days, you mentioned you weren't able to get the same results I was using the ScanFont software... if you tried to feed it the pdf image your customer sent you that would be part of the problem.

I have the same font software and even upgraded to Scanfont as per your recommendation a couple years ago. My biggest issue is I can create the font and open it in other software and enlarge it to fill the page without issue, but in Designer I can often only make them real small - we're talking less than an inch square - if I drag it any larger, Designer fails to show the font on the screen. As far as the image I just posted, I was very aware it would not be suitable for a font as is and decided it was much quicker to just manually trace the vectors in designer as in the attached picture, and it worked well. I do not think the 2D drawing tools would have helped much short of it's ability to import an image directly as opposed to placing the image on a custom wood.

Anyway, I will be eager for your report on vector groups because I know we're both trying to do pretty much the same thing. If it doesn't work for you I'll get back to you for help with the font software.