PDA

View Full Version : Non-Rectangle objects

caraguitars
02-25-2007, 06:32 PM
My CarveWright is sitting here in the box, as I am learning the possibilities before I chatter up the joint.

I make Solid Body Guitars. I don't plan on using the machine to cut the body shapes, but I do plan on using it to do custom routing for parts and inlay work.

First, let's tackle the custom routing, in a 2" thick guitar body. Flat on Top and Back. It is 12" wide and 17" long.
The white areas you see are the areas I need to route at 1" deep.
http://www.caramedia.com/file/jagbody.gif

Questions:
1) Must I laminate the body to a sled and set the board dimensions to the sled?
If so... how is this done the best?
2) How do I accuratly position the software so that it routes in the exact spot I need on the body.

I've experimented with the software, and have imported my body shapes on top of a 12" 17" board, then placed the route areas on top, then removed my body shape.

I run a pin router that cuts my body shapes, and I also run an engraving machine that cuts my plastic parts from Vector art. I've also used a laser CNC to cut my thin plastic parts from my vector files.

Here is my first cry for help to the users of this Forum

CallNeg151
02-26-2007, 02:29 AM
This is an interesting design issue.

This might not be the best solution, but this is where I would start...

1. Set the board size in designer to match the dimensions of your sled.

2. Create an outline of your guitar and import it into designer, being sure to scale it properly. Use the outline tool to create a vector outline of your guitar. Choose the cutting bit, and set a cut depth that will very slightly carve the outline of the guitar. Carve it into a piece of scrap wood to confirm that it matches the size and shape of your guitar body.

3. Set the cutting depth so that it very slightly carves into the body of your sled. Given the depth of the guitar, you will probably have to use lower side walls on your sled than you will eventually use.

4. Replace the side walls of the sled with sides that are identically thick, but of the correct height. Secure your guitar body on the sled so that it matches the outline that you just carved.

5. Make a copy of your pattern file, and work only with the copies from now on, saving an original in case you screw it up.

6. Unselect the bit for the outline of the guitar. You will only be using it as a reference shape.

7. Create the patterns you wish to carve inside the reference shape.

8. Carve away. Please note that you will probably need to play with the way you set everything up to ensure that the CarveWright finds the correct height of the guitar when it initially taps the bit to the surface.

Having not tried this, this is just a guess as to where I would start to experiement.

It sounds like a fun project. Good luck!

liquidguitars
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
1) Must I laminate the body to a sled and set the board dimensions to the sled?
If so... how is this done the best?

tricky the way the board sensor see the depth over 1/2
I added 3.5 filling the top ends of sled tricking the Carvewright to messure, after carving I have to place paper over the sled project to fill voids for it to cycle- I like to edit my work on the fly.

2) How do I accuratly position the software so that it routes in the exact
spot I need on the body.

try this: when it aks you to "stay under rollers press "03" "place on end" it will hit the same spot every time!