PDA

View Full Version : To The Bard: Pic of Homing Sensor Broken

Baron Richard
02-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, is this new file size limit restrictive! Hope you can make out the little bitty image I was able to upload (19.5kb??? limit )

Here is the picture I mentioned in my email about the homing sensor attachment breaking while I was trying to reattach the screw and get the sensor to read clear.

Jeff_Birt
02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Dollars to doughnuts that your Z-axis is a bit loose and/or the z flag a little bent (bet it is bent now). This lets the home sensor hit the z flag and break it.

liquidguitars
02-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Here is the picture I mentioned in my email about the homing sensor attachment breaking while I was trying to reattach the screw and get the sensor to read clear.

Bummer

The home sensor is a trip; I move the black bar to fix the homing error. No need to mess with the homing sensor for me, just use a rag to swipe clean.

I really not sure how the Z bar gets bent after a carving, but once you fix it "should only take 5 min", your good to go.

BTW the screws are hard to get back in overall, so take some time removing them.

Baron Richard
02-26-2007, 05:37 AM
You owe me a bakers dozen of the new Washington dollars coins then. :-)

The flag being out of place would be problem if it would not show blocked even when homed on either the Z of Y flag... my problem is it shows Blocked no matter where the truck is, except for when I undid the screw and was able to move it a little towards the inside of the machine. There is no play in the truck at all, it isn't frozen in place, but there's no jiggle and both flags are tight.

I first thought a wood chip was lodged in the sensor. But now with the sensor showing clear only when significantly out of position, I think there may be something around the sensor circuit board that is causing a short, but I can't get the screws out of the truck to get back there to check.

Dollars to doughnuts that your Z-axis is a bit loose and/or the z flag a little bent (bet it is bent now). This lets the home sensor hit the z flag and break it.

benluz
02-26-2007, 07:17 AM

The flag being out of place would be problem if it would not show blocked even when homed on either the Z of Y flag... my problem is it shows Blocked no matter where the truck is, except for when I undid the screw and was able to move it a little towards the inside of the machine. There is no play in the truck at all, it isn't frozen in place, but there's no jiggle and both flags are tight.

I first thought a wood chip was lodged in the sensor. But now with the sensor showing clear only when significantly out of position, I think there may be something around the sensor circuit board that is causing a short, but I can't get the screws out of the truck to get back there to check.

Mine showed blocked regardless of where the head was,but if I put light finger pressure on it would read correctly .I put a dab of liquid nails behind the back side of the sensor and put a small washer under the front screw that is accessible
checked and ajusted the flags and that will hold me until some new one's come in..but take your finger and with the screw loose while moving the head up and down see if you can get it to read properly if you can then tr and replicate what you were doing with your finger with shimms and etc. ,until the sensor works all the time ,it may not work on yours ,I guess it just depends where the crack is..good luck
Ben

forqnc
02-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Mine showed blocked regardless of where the head was,but if I put light finger pressure on it would read correctly .I put a dab of liquid nails behind the back side of the sensor and put a small washer under the front screw that is accessible
checked and ajusted the flags and that will hold me until some new one's come in..but take your finger and with the screw loose while moving the head up and down see if you can get it to read properly if you can then tr and replicate what you were doing with your finger with shimms and etc. ,until the sensor works all the time ,it may not work on yours ,I guess it just depends where the crack is..good luck
Ben

Same here I duct taped a thin piece of cardboard behind, and has been fine since.

Pictures shown in this thread http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2168&highlight=homing+sensor

Jeff_Birt
02-26-2007, 10:12 AM

The problem is that the flag came in contact with the sensor and broke it. The scratch you see on the casting is from the flag. This sensor has two wires coming out from each side that attach to a circuit board underneath. The side of the sensor with the screw has longer leads that attach to only the sensor and the board. If the sensor gets hit by the flag it will crack the thin plastic between the two halves and eventually break the leads on the front (screw) side of the sensor. When you puch on the sensor you are just reconnecting the wires.

Come to think of it, it would be the case that vibration is casuing the sensor leads to break letting the sensor have too much play and then the flag could hit it. A bit of a chicken and egg problem.

The fact remains that the scratch on the casting of the Z truck shows the Z flag is bent. You will need a new homing sensor board which is a bit of a PITA to get to.

liquidguitars
02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=Baron Richard;15492]
my problem is it shows Blocked no matter where the truck is, except for when I undid the screw and was able to move it a little towards the inside of the machine. There is no play in the truck at all, it isn't frozen in place, but there's no jiggle and both flags are tight.=QUOTE]

I am sure you know this, but the sensor will always show blocked if the
truck is all the way up in the black bars face.

once you lower the truck it is should show "clear" if ok, bend the black Z bar up and down and in and out untill working prop.

Liq