PDA

View Full Version : questions about lithopanes

t-townwilson
06-20-2014, 10:37 PM
I want to start carving and selling lithopanes. I haven't done any yet. Realizing that every market is different, what would be a reasonable selling price for 8"x10" lithopanes? Is the best way to display them in a shadow box? I've seen several posts on here about different light sources-puck lights, rope lights, Christmas tree lights, etc. Is there an optimal distance from light source to back of litho (i.e. necessary depth for shadow box.)

I have 10 8x10 1/4" white dorian I purchased on eBay. Don't want to waste it at $10 a piece, but I know I will have to start carving at some point. I've downloaded the tips sheet, and plan to follow it closely.

Thanks for any help offered! :)

Canemaker
06-21-2014, 04:55 PM
I usually charge $1.50 per square inch and have no problems with customers paying that price. I do include a window holder in black walnut since I have a large supply with four rubber feet on the bottom. I use a table saw and a dado blade to carve the grove for the lithophane to sit in tight and give the option to the customer whether or not glue it in place.. I explain that if they place it on a window ledge that they will enjoy it as the sun moves during the day. I have found that if you provide a shadow or lighted box it takes away from your profits, unless you have a way to mass produce at a low cost. I you do happen to use a shadow or lighted box you can get a pre-wired plug with an on/off switch from your local hardware supply store. If you make the light source yourself, you could be liable. (Just a thought) Besides we want return customers and word of mouth is the best advertising.. most of mine are roughly 5x7. Send me a private message and I'll try to find my order sheet. John