PDA

View Full Version : Importing .stl files

tcough3475
06-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm trying to import an .stl file of a mermaid but the one provided here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182231/ needs to be rotated 45 degrees to get the look my SO wants. I can rotate it in Blender and save it out to a new .stl and import it but when I do, there isn't a lot of relief. I assume it's due to the depth of the .stl and it needs to be "compressed" to generate a better image. I don't know how to accomplish this and looking for tips/tricks to bring it in. Any help out there?

Thanks,
Tracy

bergerud
06-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Can you not rotate it after you make it into a pattern in Designer?

fwharris
06-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Why don't you just rotate it in the STL importer??

bergerud
06-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Oh, I get it. You want to rotate the 3d object around a vertical axis before you make the pattern. The problem is that it is too deep. This is a bas relief problem. By the time the tail and arms are compressed, the body is flat. Can you do bas relief in Blender?

tcough3475
06-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Sorry folks had to step away a bit. Bergerud is dead on with his last post. I've heard of bas relief but have not done it or really understand it. Can you give some general directions to try?

eelamb
06-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Here is information on the bass relief in blender.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20592-Blender-bas-releif-node-patch/page12&highlight=bass+relief

tcough3475
06-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks Eddie. Will take a look and let you know how it's going.

Love the forum because of folks like you all!!!

eelamb
06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Not sure what rotation you wanted but here is one I just did. It is gray scale so just import it using file import.

tcough3475
06-20-2014, 09:26 AM
That's pretty close to what the LOML is looking for Eddie, but need a little more of the front showing. I tried to follow the conversation in the link but as it's an old string, not sure if I still need to purchase/download the bas-relief node. I'm running ver 2.70, is it included now and if so, where (or what is it called). I would like to start learning the package, and $38 isn't much if it gets me what I want. I like all the free models on the web and want to start making my own.

Tracy

eelamb
06-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Tracy, I will see what I can do later. Heading out for 2 jobs scheduled this afternoon.
As for blender, I am not sure about version 2.7. I have not kept up with it, since what I have is working. The node and software is free, the video is for teaching you how to do the bas relief.

tcough3475
06-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks again Eddie. Is the node something I need to download from somewhere? And is the $38 for the video?
Looking forward to hearing more.

Tracy

jpaluck
06-20-2014, 03:37 PM
http://buy.3drelief.net/ link for the videos and how to's. If you have some basic 3d knowledge it's pretty easy to follow. They are worth the 38 they charge for them. I bought Aspire a year ago and it's latest upgrade has an emboss feature which is close to blender but I thinks blender wins over it for more control and plus blender is free and the vids are 38 bucks or so. One tricky thing is though if your going to be using a lot of free models they are made up of MANY peices so remember you have to tick Pass Index to 1 on each peice or combine the model to one piece. I use zbrush decimination master to combine to one piece. Once you get it down it's a lot of fun

eelamb
06-20-2014, 03:58 PM
John pointed you to the link for the bas-relief video, and yes it is $38. On blenders site is the node as well as the blender software.
Is this the angle you wanted?

tcough3475
06-21-2014, 08:44 AM
That is great Eddie, thanks for working on this for me. I hope to return the favor someday. A greyscale in .png would be fine when you get the chance.

Tracy

tcough3475
06-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks John. I have some 3D experience but it's more from using AutoCAD to do roadway and site development. 3D modeling for CNC is another story though. As an engineer, I tend to look at things from a functional perspective, the artistic side is something I'm working to overcome and is the reason I didn't become an architect. ;-)

jpaluck
06-21-2014, 12:37 PM
tcough3475 - With CAD experience you will be able to easily figure it out. If your using free models off the net the artistic part is done and the rest is more technical - learning to navigate in blender and placing model on angle you want it with the camera, combing all the pieces into one etc.

eelamb
06-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Ok here is the mermaid image of the front view. tcough3475 you will get the hang of it. John taught me that once I got a model into blender, and was able to get the nodes right, to save that blend file, then use it as a template for the future. That is my tip to you. Sure saves rebuilding the nodes each time.

tcough3475
06-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks Eddie, I appreciate it. Going to try downloading the instructional video tonight and hopefully start doing these myself.

Tracy

bergerud
06-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I just got Blender up and working with the bas relief. Very cool.

eelamb
06-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Good going Dan, blender bas-relief works great.

henry1
06-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Good going Dan, blender bas-relief works great.
Does work well ED and Dan

henry1
06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Dan were you get tutorial for blender I just download it I have to learn this my memory is very short

bergerud
06-24-2014, 09:53 AM
I did not get the video tutorial. There is a link to it in post 12.

henry1
06-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Thx for the reply I found all kind of tutorial , now down to learn all this hope I can capture it all

bergerud
06-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I think the video tutorials may be for an older version of Blender and the add on.

bergerud
06-24-2014, 10:45 AM
I do not think it is as complicated as the earlier version that Eddie and John have been running. The new add on is really for Blender Cam which is somehow Blender on steroids to produce g-code for CNC. Go to:

http://blendercam.blogspot.ca/p/bas-relief-addon.html

Make a donation and you will get an email link to the add on and pdf instructions. You may donate any amount you like.

I found that the add on works just fine in the new version (2.70a) of Blender and so the Blender Cam program seems a red herring for us non g-coders.

cestout
06-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Years ago I bought Blender for Dummies on Amazon.
Clint

bergerud
06-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Anybody else tried this bas-relief with Blender 2.70a ?

eelamb
06-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Dan I have thought about the upgrade. But what I have works and I have not gotten into blender as much I had planned on. Fact is I am doing less and less of 3d or 2.5d modeling.

tcough3475
06-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Just did the download of the BAS Relief module and ran a sample. I figured I'd follow Dan's link first as I could make a small donation just to see if it works as easy as I'd hoped it would. So I downloaded the Blender CAM version and got the link to a web site in some foriegn language but was able to download the BAS module and tutorial. In regards to Dan's question about running it in ver. 2.70, yes it seems to work great, in fact, I haven't ran Blender CAM other than to look at the interface. The splash screen seems to indicate that its ver 2.69, maybe it's been incorporated into 2.70, but not sure. I brought in several .stl files and had great results with each model. There's a little learning curve for me using Blender but it won't take long to overcome. In hindsight, wish I would have held off purchasing the STL importer, but being able to do slabs will come in handy soon enough.

I'd say you can't go wrong with this version if you want to bring in 3D STL models for patterns. Couple notes though: First, the administrator of the module link only sends out links/passwords in batches once he/she gets enough names to make it worth their time. I had to send a follow up email otherwise I might still be waiting. Second, the web site only accepts payment in euros and I started with 0.01 euros which equals $0.02 when the currency is converted. Save yourself a penny by donating 0.005 euros ;-). And lastly, for now, make sure you SAVE the changes to the USER PREFERENCES when you initially instal the module. That step was missing from the tutorial and it keep unloading after I exited and came back in.

A special thanks to Eddie and Dan, along with everyone else who gave input. The help a person can get here is great!!!

Tracy