PDA

View Full Version : JULY 2014 Project of the Month - Starfish Candle Holder

mtylerfl
06-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Hello,

Get your “beach on” with nautical-themed Starfish Candle Holders! The included project file makes one complete candle holder. You can run this file several times to make a set of any number of candle holders you wish. The candle holder is about 9.5" round x 1.5" tall.

The entire project is carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Starfish_Candle_Holder.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
0.75" x 11" x 24"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) Glass votive candle containers or tall glass contained candles 2.25" diameter or less.

4) Wood glue, epoxy or silicon, sandpaper, wood stain, and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my own “Starfish Candle Holder” made from Select Pine:

• Applied Kilz White Primer spray to all surfaces

• Applied Rust-Oleum Desert Beige # 223524 textured spray paint to the starfish base

• Applied Rust-Oleum Golden Mahogany Stain to the starfish then wiped most stain off to enhance the texture and slightly tint the white background

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic spray on the starfish ONLY (no clearcoat on the textured base)

SteveNelson46
06-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Very nice, Michael.

mtylerfl
06-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Thank you, Steve!

TerryT
06-20-2014, 08:59 AM
The only thing that impresses me more than the great projects is the fact that after all this time you STILL can come up with new ones.
A nice nautical project.

mtylerfl
06-20-2014, 09:33 AM
The only thing that impresses me more than the great projects is the fact that after all this time you STILL can come up with new ones.
A nice nautical project.

Thanks, Terry! More ideas than (life)time to do them all, I'm afraid.