PDA

View Full Version : re-sharpeing carving bits

lovejoys
06-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Hello, I have a company that re-sharpens my bits. They have a minimum order. They will only do the 1/16th carving bits. So, what I am offering is a bit exchange. You would send me your old bits and I will send you re-sharpened bits. If they are sent with adapters, they will come back with the same kind of adapters. You will not receive the exact bits back as I have a large stock of re-sharpened bits on hand. This eliminates the turn-a-round time. You will handle the shipping to us and we will handle the shipping back to you, US shipping addresses only. I am asking for a minimum order of 5 bits per mailing. Each re-sharpened bit is $20. If you wish to contact us for more information, please send a PM through here. Thank you

fwharris
06-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Jason,

That sounds like some great news! Have you done any carvings with the re-sharpened bits yet? If so how were the results?

lovejoys
06-16-2014, 06:15 AM
We have been testing the bits for 2 months and have seen no difference in the lifetime of the bit after the re-sharpening.... compared to the new bit, we are getting the same carving quality and usage

myshop1044
06-16-2014, 07:08 AM
First Lovejoys where are you located? Second this could be a gold mind, I have some old bits the could use some sharpening.
Thanks for the info.

SteveNelson46
06-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Hello, I have a company that re-sharpens my bits. They have a minimum order. They will only do the 1/16th carving bits. So, what I am offering is a bit exchange. You would send me your old bits and I will send you re-sharpened bits. If they are sent with adapters, they will come back with the same kind of adapters. You will not receive the exact bits back as I have a large stock of re-sharpened bits on hand. This eliminates the turn-a-round time. You will handle the shipping to us and we will handle the shipping back to you, US shipping addresses only. I am asking for a minimum order of 5 bits per mailing. Each re-sharpened bit is $20. If you wish to contact us for more information, please send a PM through here. Thank you

This sounds like a great deal but, the problem is that I don't have 5 old bits. when they are dull and dis-colored I have been throwing them away. I just figured they were not much good for anything.

Digitalwoodshop
06-16-2014, 09:55 AM
This is a good idea....

AL

lovejoys
06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks Al

I am located in MN not far from IA

SteveNelson46
06-16-2014, 02:27 PM
I wonder about accuracy. Re-sharpening removes a little of the metal and the 1/16" bit makes .005" per pass on optimal setting. I guess it just depends on how much metal is removed during the sharpening process which depends on how dull the bit is to begin with. (fuzzies?)

lovejoys
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
accuracy-Carvewright that's kind a funny

Yes they do remove little of the metal when re-sharpening I have not see any real difference

SteveNelson46
06-16-2014, 02:37 PM
accuracy-Carvewright that's kind a funny

Yes they do remove little of the metal when re-sharpening I have not see any real difference

I guess I'll have to try a few before I make any real opinions.

umpabill
07-28-2014, 08:20 AM
I would be interested in having some bits sharpened. Please contact me by email