PDA

View Full Version : Out of the box issues

embossllc
02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Well my week old machine is going back to Sears, I did not get to carve anything the only thing I was able to do was measure a board. Error after error, & the machine asking me to insert the bit. After reading all the post regarding theses issue plus more I don't feel like I can afford the time to keep this unit up & running. It's too bad the concept is great but I think that maybe it was introduced before all the kinks where ironed out. When I buy something expect it to work, not get problems from the get go, & then having to sit a watch it in case it malfunctions & ruin what might be an important piece for a customer. I own a Laser engraving machine that has never given me any problems in the 18 months I have had it. So it's not that I don't understand the mechanics of the machine, it's not the software it's the fact there are too many problems, & there doesn't seem to one common problem that could be addressed & all would be fine but there isn't. So this is my one & only post good luck to all that decided to stick it out.

pkunk
02-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Well my week old machine is going back to Sears, I did not get to carve anything the only thing I was able to do was measure a board. Error after error, & the machine asking me to insert the bit. After reading all the post regarding theses issue plus more I don't feel like I can afford the time to keep this unit up & running. It's too bad the concept is great but I think that maybe it was introduced before all the kinks where ironed out. When I buy something expect it to work, not get problems from the get go, & then having to sit a watch it in case it malfunctions & ruin what might be an important piece for a customer. I own a Laser engraving machine that has never given me any problems in the 18 months I have had it. So it's not that I don't understand the mechanics of the machine, it's not the software it's the fact there are too many problems, & there doesn't seem to one common problem that could be addressed & all would be fine but there isn't. So this is my one & only post good luck to all that decided to stick it out.

Too bad you don't have the patience to get it running. I(and many others) have produced so many people pleasers and $$ makers. Some one will appreciate your CW. :)

benluz
02-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Well, maybe you'll be back, many of the problems will soon be history due to software and some hardware changes.
Ben

Kenm810
02-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I read many of the Troubling posts on this forum before buying my machine.
And I knew there have been several problems along the way and I can only hope there will be fewer in the future. Many of us admit it is a leap of faith owning one of these machines and will try to stand by our choice.
Sadly some will fall away, but as long as we can get help from CarveWright and the support of all the members of this forum. I for one will keep making as much sawdust
And as many chips as I can.

Thanks Ken

Autodoc
02-25-2007, 12:14 PM
So ... where are you taking it back too? Tried to look up your info, but no city listed.

dpowli
02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't know if I'm too late.... but my machine did the same thing. After reading al the posts I could find, I decided to check out the cover switches even though I wasn't getting a cover error. Sure enough, a cover switch was the culprit and haven't had the problem since. Sure, I've had a few problems, but the knowledge base and terrific people here have kept the ole CW humming. Thanks to all.

icando49
02-25-2007, 12:50 PM
just got my machine and am getting an error message of 398 ?????????????

does any one know what it means????

thanks

embossllc
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I live in Nashua NH I'm returnig the machine to Sears RT101 location. Thanks for the input but alas I don't have the time to struggle with problems, if you work for your self you know time is money. I was go to add this to my business but now maybe at later time.

mikevds
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, maybe you'll be back, many of the problems will soon be history due to software and some hardware changes.
Ben

When that happens I'm in.

benluz
02-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I live in Nashua NH I'm returnig the machine to Sears RT101 location. Thanks for the input but alas I don't have the time to struggle with problems, if you work for your self you know time is money. I was go to add this to my business but now maybe at later time.

oh...yes I can know what you mean, I have been in the custom cabinet bus. for 17 years and have slowly moved into the lumber side of the business.I'll still do some medium sized commercial jobs. I found as I got older my patience level with dealing with home owners became less and less.At least with a commercial job I don't have to hold their hand all the way through the process.When I first started the business I didn't mind the long hours and helping customers choose a design ,doing the drawing...etc,but after marriage , kids and all the things that come with it.I wanted to still be self employed but more of a 9 to 5 schdule ,of course it nevers works out quite like that....lol
Good luck
Ben

embossllc
02-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks Ben

One of the Rough Cuts
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM

I am having the same problem as described in this entry. After a while of the machine asking me to insert the bid I would finally hit cancel/stop and it would then eventually display an error code of 484 (Board Find Error). I contacted the tech support peeps at CW and they told me that I needed to upgrade my software version from 1.113 to 1.117, and then try it again.

After the 1.117 upgrade, the machine continued to do the same thing; except for this time it generated an error code of 246? (Board Find Error). Different code, but apparently same error.
I also made the adjustments outlined in the "Bit Plate Adjustment" troubleshooting pdf., which still did not seem to help.

I noticed that in this same discussion someone was able to correct this issue by checking/replacing? a cover switch. I would love to find out more info about this as I am still waiting to carve my first piece.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided!!

The Bard
02-28-2007, 12:12 AM
often the culprit is a piece of plastic.

if you look inside the machine, to the back right corner, you'll see the cut motor cables being held out of the way by a little plastic clip. This clip is designed to straddle the head and be sandwiched between the head and the cover. However, often they're not seated properly (often right after someone removed the cover) and they push everything slightly forward.

strangely enough, this actually keeps the bit finding arm from coming all the way out AND can cause "close cover" errors.

stupid little plastic piece is really needed hehe.

Ray Larkin
02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
after 15 hrs. of no problems I started to get the load bit message and board find fault, and then Z-axis stall...finally talked to Chris at CW tonight...downloaded version 1.117 and that didn't seem to help....read in bit plate adj pfd about the bearing sweeper needing to be modified....this seemed to do the trick...hope so anyway.......again thanks to Chris he made my night

The Bard
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM
*I'd blush but you can't see it on me*

One of the Rough Cuts
02-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I checked the little plastic piece located in the back right corner inside the machine (thanks by the way for adding the picture...it made it a lot easier to find), but it seemed to be in the proper position. Thought maybe the problem may have been the bearing sweeper as previously mentioned, but it didn't seem to matter if I ran it with it in, with it out, or with the rib filed down. Still having the same issue, "Board Find Fault" error 246. Love to find out what this means!!

I'm not getting any cover errors, but I wonder if it could be the switch. Anyone have any additional info on this???

Thanks again!!!!