PDA

View Full Version : Stairstep

texasinmi
06-14-2014, 03:41 PM
I am carving a cutout. On one end in the x direction I am getting a stairstep pattern as the bit goes deeper.

It has happened more than once. Any ideas?

texasinmi

FWMiller
06-14-2014, 03:57 PM
I've had that x slip happen not too infrequently. To get the best results I make sure the machine is clean, get the head pressure close as possible to the recommended and make sure the board slides easily between the rails. If I hear the x drive labor more than normal during setup I remove the board and start over. The longer the board gets, the easier it is to get the slip. I did a project last week and for lucky that the stair steps actually looked nice. If anyone asks, it was part of my design...

Digitalwoodshop
06-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Like posted above, it is ALL ABOUT THE BRASS ROLLER loosing contact with the board on each pass...

Like above... Plus Masking Tape on the bottom of the board.....

And one side has stair step and the other is short as it did a full depth cut... cutting off the end of the board....

Even happened to ME... :) Masking Tape helped... When the board comes out from under one roller the board can TIP UP loosing contact with the brass roller.

AL

texasinmi
06-16-2014, 07:54 AM
That makes sense. I am hearing the x motor laboring, it speeds up and slows down during the measurement. I get exactly what you have Al in your attachment.

I am going to invest in 3M for all the tape I am using.

texasinmi