PDA

View Full Version : Scanning for Rotary Carving

jackh
06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Is it possible to "flat" scan a semi-round item on both sides, join the scans making a semi round item and then carve it on the rotary?

bergerud
06-12-2014, 09:29 AM
That seems possible. If you output the two scans as stls and stitched them together in another 3D program before importing into the stl importer, it would work. It might be possible to import them as separate rotary projects and put them together in Designer. That would take some experimenting.

bergerud
06-12-2014, 10:25 AM
As an experiment. I took a hemisphere into the PE and exported to stl. Then made it into a rotary. Then I did it again (with a 180 flip) and made a second rotary. Copy and pasted from one to the other and I have a sphere. So, it can be done. The joint may not come out so well.

SteveNelson46
06-12-2014, 10:40 AM
As an experiment. I took a hemisphere into the PE and exported to stl. Then made it into a rotary. Then I did it again (with a 180 flip) and made a second rotary. Copy and pasted from one to the other and I have a sphere. So, it can be done. The joint may not come out so well.

Dan,

Unless I missed the point, it might be a little easier like this. I used Extrude.

bergerud
06-12-2014, 10:52 AM
The question was can two scans of an object be made into a rotary. It is clear that one can make the two scans and convert them to stl using PE and the STL importer. Can the two be put back together into a single rotary project? To test, I just took a simple pattern. I was able to put two "half" patterns together which shows it is possible. (I was not really trying to make a sphere!)

SteveNelson46
06-12-2014, 10:55 AM
The question was can two scans of an object be made into a rotary. It is clear that one can make the two scans and convert them to stl using PE and the STL importer. Can the two be put back together into a single rotary project? To test, I just took a simple pattern. I was able to put two "half" patterns together which shows it is possible. (I was not really trying to make a sphere!)

Well then, I guess I really did miss the point.