PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Accessory Menu

mannwranglers
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
If anybody knows how to get this machine from off the Accessory Menu......
Please let me know...... I put the cutting motor back in and now it is stuck on the Accessory Menu and I need to get it back to the Projects Menu.

Thanks
George

bergerud
06-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Do you have a scanner plugged in? If you do not and stop does not work, check the top cover wire plug.

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
I think he got that fixed.... but today he is telling me his cut motor is running backwards.... looking down from the top, the motor is spinning counter clockwise... He has a bit burning problem.... And on a whim I mentioned direction since he swapped out the shell of the motor.. My thought is he swapped the brush wires... He swaped them and no change.. I am having him swap the other armature....

?? AL

Edit:

I just made a quick call to LHR and talked to Isreal and likely a wire swap in the cut motor is causing this motor to spin in the wrong direction.. After talking to him I thought that if the Stator was placed in the shell 180 degrees out that might cause this too....

Interesting....

AL

bergerud
06-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Is that even possible?? Field flipped? (Would the flex unwind?) This would be a new one!

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Poor George has reached his breaking point messing with this.... He took a break...

I remember seeing a post years ago with the Cut Motor runnng backwards... Thought it was a miss match of Brushes to Stator... Is that even possible? Plus he has swapped Armatures between motors.. Normally I would not expect a problem but one never knows...

I would love if a Hardware Tech would chime in on this... I ran this thread off in a different direction but it is the same user and machine...

LHR thought it might have been a wire changed on the X Termination Board.. But I don't believe he ever worked in that area...

But swapping the Cut Motor Shell.... so many options.. It IS possible to get something in the wrong place.....

AL

lynnfrwd
06-12-2014, 01:06 PM
There is a reason we rebuild instead of selling shells (cut motor case). It is not easy to get right.

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
That is a understatement.... I know... He bought the motor from a member. Let this be a lesson to others swapping a case to mark every location... and take pictures....

So he has 2 options... Keep working with it until it rotates in the correct direction.... or buy a new motor and send it as a core...?

A Rubics Cube of Cut Motors..... It is possible the motor was opened by the first owner...?

On the bright side I am heading to the shop to put in the 20th board for my 80 handle cut project on the CW... About 60 hours of cut time over a week. 1 Breakdown.... The Cross Connect 45 degree gear screw snapped... Quick fix... Screw twice as long.. and a pilot error bit load by ME... :)

Thanks,

AL

TerryT
06-12-2014, 02:35 PM
wires crossed on the starter winding, kicking it in the wrong direction?

bergerud
06-12-2014, 02:46 PM
He said he switched the brush wires and it did not fix it. I think these are universal AC/DC series motors. The armature and the field are in series. Switching the brush wires is the same as switching north for south on the field. He should recheck the wire switch to make sure it does not work. I think that has to be it. (Now I want to take mine apart just to test!)

ktjwilliams
06-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Very Strange in deed !!! This shouldn't even be possible

scootertrash
06-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Reminds me of a funny story at work.

A server (computer) needed some hard drives replaced so my buddy John, a constant prankster, replaced them. Another guy had a project held up by the faulty drives. So John tells the guy (who is a PITA) that the drives are replaced but they sent the wrong drives and the new ones spin in a different direction so they have to wait on a 'data inverter' to get shipped and installed (For those of you not familiar with computers, this is total bunk). The guy says "Well, you need to come tell my boss because this is holding me up." So my buddy john goes and tells the boss. he got about three words past 'data inverter' when the boss started laughing and threw him out of his office.

RMarkey
06-13-2014, 11:21 AM
The stator has two black wires with clips on the ends - those control the poles. The black wire with the white wire next to it is the SOUTH pole. The other is the NORTH pole.

The NORTH connects to the brush on the TOP cover (the cover with the PORT). The BOTTOM cover is the SOUTH pole.

SteveNelson46
06-13-2014, 03:04 PM
The stator has two black wires with clips on the ends - those control the poles. The black wire with the white wire next to it is the SOUTH pole. The other is the NORTH pole.

The NORTH connects to the brush on the TOP cover (the cover with the PORT). The BOTTOM cover is the SOUTH pole.

If you get the wires connected backwards will it make the motor run in reverse?

earlyrider
06-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Yes, the motor will run backwards. I did that years ago, and wondered why the bit cut poorly and burnt the wood. Al helped me out on that.

TerryT
06-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I think an AC motor is OK with running in either direction. It doesn't care which. Just depends on which way you spin it to start. Of course I may be wrong. Again. LOL

TerryT
06-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Reminds me of a funny story at work.

A server (computer) needed some hard drives replaced so my buddy John, a constant prankster, replaced them. Another guy had a project held up by the faulty drives. So John tells the guy (who is a PITA) that the drives are replaced but they sent the wrong drives and the new ones spin in a different direction so they have to wait on a 'data inverter' to get shipped and installed (For those of you not familiar with computers, this is total bunk). The guy says "Well, you need to come tell my boss because this is holding me up." So my buddy john goes and tells the boss. he got about three words past 'data inverter' when the boss started laughing and threw him out of his office.

Here is another funny story:
When I was about 12 I asked my sisters boyfriend if he knew the difference between a motor and an engine. He didn't so I explained in great detail. I had just learned it in Boy Scouts. 50 years later my sister starts dating this guy AGAIN! I am told that he was so impressed with my explanation that he spent his life becoming an engineer for Ford Motors. He has condos in three states and takes my sister and her favorite brother out for dinner on occasion. At least that what he says. LOL

Digitalwoodshop
06-14-2014, 07:42 PM
It is all about Phase Angle and Lines of Flux... I called George the other day and told him the FIX was posted here by #1.... :)

With the swapping of the case and the other user of the motor, lots of variables here... I am sure George will get the right combination of the Rubic's cube of a Motor to make it spin in the right direction.

AL

bergerud
06-14-2014, 08:25 PM
It may be that he flipped the field 180 when he switched the wires on the brushes. The two would cancel. Both are like switching north and south. Either rotate the field 180 or switch the wires. Whichever fits best with the wires.

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Following the instructions here black wire in and then white wire in should solve the problem. Works just like a reverse switch on a AC powered electric drill.

AL

bergerud
06-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Even if the wires are connected right, the stator being rotated 180 still makes it reverse. Can the stator fit both ways in the casing? I do not have a motor apart, but, I bet it does.

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Even if the wires are connected right, the stator being rotated 180 still makes it reverse. Can the stator fit both ways in the casing? I do not have a motor apart, but, I bet it does.

I believe you are correct... Either way...