PDA

View Full Version : Load bit, z-axis belt, I think i know what it is

scootertrash
06-10-2014, 09:26 PM
While diagnosing the fun "load bit, rinse, repeat" scenario I discovered when moving the Z up and down there's a noticeable "hitch" towards the bottom. This was after trying the dime trick and setting the tension on y.

I cleaned the wipers and wiped the tracks and the outside of the bearings and that got me past "load bit." I couldn't see anything wrong with the belts but I can't see all of the Z belt. Y'all suppose I got a little chip of wood stuck in there?

38 hours on the motor so it's still a baby but I'm setting to get my work out and baby is gonna grow up in a hurry!! 8^D

unitedcases
06-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Had that happen once and it was the plastic over the big white gear. Eventually wore itself away.

fwharris
06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Was the bit plate coming out all of the way so that the bit could go down two times to touch it? Or was the bit plate only coming out part of the way and the bit trying a third time before moving to center and asking to load the bit?

scootertrash
06-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Was the bit plate coming out all of the way so that the bit could go down two times to touch it? Or was the bit plate only coming out part of the way and the bit trying a third time before moving to center and asking to load the bit?

Forgot to mention I lubed the bit plate. It's coming out fine and the bit is touching it the same place all the bits do, as evidenced by the tiny little dot where the paint is worn off :)

scootertrash
06-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Hmm maybe I have some junk in the gears? I've never looked in there and have no idea if a wood chip could get in.

bergerud
06-10-2014, 11:48 PM
It could be a little dirt in one of the truck rollers. Hold them and make them slide up the rail one at a time. See if the lump moves to a different place. If it does, you have found the bad roller.

scootertrash
06-11-2014, 08:21 AM
I half-heartedly tried that but couldn't get them to not spin as I moved the truck. I may try again.

unitedcases
06-11-2014, 08:37 AM
I half-heartedly tried that but couldn't get them to not spin as I moved the truck. I may try again.
Why don't you just take the whole carriage off and do a good ops check on it? If your going to get the work out there and start pushing the machine you will definitely be taking it apart every now and then. You will definitely be able to get a better look at it.

Digitalwoodshop
06-11-2014, 09:04 AM
The Z has a screw and spring on top.... I would reset the belt tension by loosing the screws that hold the GEARBOX to the Z Truck and let the spring take up the proper tension then re tighten the mounting screws.

scootertrash
06-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Why don't you just take the whole carriage off and do a good ops check on it? If your going to get the work out there and start pushing the machine you will definitely be taking it apart every now and then. You will definitely be able to get a better look at it.

LOL, I have never been afraid to tear something apart! That was pretty much my next step but I had some carves that needed to be done ASAP and was carving into the wee hours and again at breakfast time - only to find out the event they're for has been postponed a week. Ain't that the way it always happens?