PDA

View Full Version : Ivac switch and Contactor

SteveNelson46
06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
For those who are looking for a solution to auto-starting and stopping a high volume dust collector such as the 2 HP Harbor Freight DC (20 amp) try this:

http://www.ivacswitch.com/default.action?itemid=54

I'm using it in conjunction with the iVac switch to activate it and just finished a couple of 30 minute test carves. It seems to work great. They also have combo packages that are much cheaper than buying individual components. It's also much cheaper buying directly from them than anywhere else on the web.

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2014, 08:42 AM
I have the Cheaper Version and if you wanted to run a 220 volt Dust Collector you can buy a low voltage transformer and a relay at a Electrical Store. I have some 24 volt relays and transformers from a Electrical Supply place. Let the Switch turn on the low voltage transformer that turn on the relay for the high voltage Dust Collector. The weakness to the small one is that if you operate a collector that draws too much Amperage or Current the little Transistor Switch burns out... This version has the same or similar transistor/SCR/Triac that turns on the CUT MOTOR on the X Termination Board... Q1.

AL

DickB
06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Al,

I purchased an i-Socket like yours recently, and they are now using a relay in it in place of the triac. I did not see any difference on the outside, so I guess you need to open the case to find out.

I took this photo while making this modification: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25272-i-Socket-Autoswitch-modification-for-the-Carvewright

bergerud
06-04-2014, 09:17 AM
I have the Ivac switch. I find it annoying that it sometimes turns on with just the servos. There must be a way to raise the trigger current threshold. Anybody done that?

SteveNelson46
06-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I have the Cheaper Version and if you wanted to run a 220 volt Dust Collector you can buy a low voltage transformer and a relay at a Electrical Store. I have some 24 volt relays and transformers from a Electrical Supply place. Let the Switch turn on the low voltage transformer that turn on the relay for the high voltage Dust Collector. The weakness to the small one is that if you operate a collector that draws too much Amperage or Current the little Transistor Switch burns out... This version has the same or similar transistor/SCR/Triac that turns on the CUT MOTOR on the X Termination Board... Q1.

AL

The iVac contactor will handle 220 volt 3 phase 40 amp running current with 150 amp surge and 115Vac control voltage. I thought for $72.00 it was a pretty good buy.

DickB
06-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I have the Ivac switch. I find it annoying that it sometimes turns on with just the servos. There must be a way to raise the trigger current threshold. Anybody done that?That's what my modification does. Follow the link.

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2014, 10:34 AM
At $72.00 that is a great buy... When I tested my Switch it did not turn on with the Servo's... but I did not put a heavy board on it...

I like the relay version.... much better than the version I have...

AL

SteveNelson46
06-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I have the Ivac switch. I find it annoying that it sometimes turns on with just the servos. There must be a way to raise the trigger current threshold. Anybody done that?

Maybe it's just my opinion but, it seems a bit trivial to me. One solution would be to leave the switch to the DC off until the Carvewright begins to carve.

DickB
06-04-2014, 10:53 AM
The issue for me is that without the mod the DC turns on and off each time the cut motor spins up for bit changes. I run projects with 4-5 bit changes. Hard on the DC motor. If I turn off the DC, I forget to turn it back on!

If someone wants to send me an iVac sensor, I'll take a look at it ;).

cnsranch
06-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Got mine at Lee Valley - works great.

CNC Carver
06-05-2014, 06:49 AM
For those using 110 DC I have Harbor Freight 2HP unit. I've been using this great item from sears less than $20. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-auto-switch/p-00924031000P

chebytrk
06-05-2014, 12:00 PM
So where does DC Unit plug in to and where does CW plug in to? I've got the I-Socket, but looks like this Sears will do the same thing. I've been using my I-Socket for about 4yrs.

For those using 110 DC I have Harbor Freight 2HP unit. I've been using this great item from sears less than $20. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-auto-switch/p-00924031000P

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2014, 12:32 PM
So where does DC Unit plug in to and where does CW plug in to? I've got the I-Socket, but looks like this Sears will do the same thing. I've been using my I-Socket for about 4yrs.

The way it works is that it watches the Current going through the outlet that the CW is plugged in and when the Cut Motor starts up the box turns on the Vacuum Outlet. When the Cut Motor shuts off the Vac shuts off soon after....

AL

CNC Carver
06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Power tool plug is carvewright and accessories is dust collector.

SteveNelson46
06-05-2014, 07:51 PM
In the past I have used all three of the types of switches (I-Socket, Sears, and the iVac. Of the three, the iVac worked for the longest period of time but, every 3 or 4 months it would quit working and had to be replaced. I was using a Jet 650 cfm DC with all of my woodworking tools and apparently my DC was using close to the max current (15 amps) for the iVac switch. When I contacted the iVac people they explained to me that when operating the switch at the max current that it would shorten the life of the switch which explained why it had to be replaced so often. They recommended the Contactor. The outlet that was used for the vacuum on the switch is now used as the control for the Contactor that operates on a separate circuit. The operating range of the Contactor is from 120 volts to 600 volts with a max sustained current draw of 40 amps. Since I have two 120 volt 30 amp circuits in my shop this worked out great. Especially when I recently upgraded to the 2 hp Harbor Freight DC that is rated at 20 amps.

TerryT
06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I have 3 of the sears units. One on my table saw (has it's own 6 hp. vac), one on my band saw (3 hp vac) and one on my spindle sander (5 hp vac). They all work very well. I tried one on the CW but I drove me nuts when the DC would start every bit change, measure and spin up. So I took it off. They have been working great for two or three years now.

I have a remote switch on the DC. I bought two of them on the same frequency at Christmas time. They were for the outdoor lights. $9.99 each. 15 amp. has been working great for two years. I have two remote switches, one at each end of my shop so I don't have to go too far to turn on the DC.

SteveNelson46
06-05-2014, 08:16 PM
I have 3 of the sears units. One on my table saw (has it's own 6 hp. vac), one on my band saw (3 hp vac) and one on my spindle sander (5 hp vac). They all work very well. I tried one on the CW but I drove me nuts when the DC would start every bit change, measure and spin up. So I took it off. They have been working great for two or three years now.

I have a remote switch on the DC. I bought two of them on the same frequency at Christmas time. They were for the outdoor lights. $9.99 each. 15 amp. has been working great for two years. I have two remote switches, one at each end of my shop so I don't have to go too far to turn on the DC.

Are you sure your vacuums are rated at 6 hp, 3hp and 5 hp? A 5 hp motor on a 115 volt circuit would draw over 50 amps.

TerryT
06-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Ridgid rates their 5hp at about 9 amps. The 6.5 hp at 12. I haven't tested either the HP or the power draw. Each is sufficient and it works well.

SteveNelson46
06-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Ridgid rates their 5hp at about 9 amps. The 6.5 hp at 12. I haven't tested either the HP or the power draw. Each is sufficient and it works well.

They must calculate hp differently than the standard. Listed here are some of the standard electrical calculations.

At 1800 rpm, a motor develops a 3 lb.ft. per hp
At 1200 rpm, a motor develops a 4.5 lb.ft. per hp
At 575 volts, a 3-phase motor draws 1 amp per hp
At 460 volts, a 3-phase motor draws 1.25 amp per hp
At 230 volts a 3-phase motor draws 2.5 amp per hp
At 230 volts, a single-phase motor draws 5 amp per hp
At 115 volts, a single-phase motor draws 10 amp per hp

The motor in the Harbor Freight DC is an actual 2 hp motor and draws 20 amps as stated in their user manual. If they calculated it as Ridgid does it would be equivalent to 12 hp.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck. Just clarifying that some manufacturers calculate hp differently.

TerryT
06-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Umm, ok. Thanks

bergerud
06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
I do not know how these shop vacs rate their power. I see the little things say 3 HP Peak and I know the motors are nowhere near as big ag a 3 HP router motor. They must mean 3 HP for the fraction of a second before it stalls. It certainly cannot mean a continuous 3 HP.

bergerud
06-06-2014, 10:26 AM
To quote Hilary "what difference does it make?". It's the amperage that is important when talking about these switches.

It makes a difference if you try and convert HP to Watts using 746 Watts/HP. The HP should give you the approximate amperage if it was measured correctly. I have a shop vac which says 5.5 HP Peak. It draws 10A at 120V and so it really is about 1200/746=1.6 HP or less.

TerryT
06-06-2014, 10:28 AM
It certainly cannot mean a continuous 3 HP.
It performs pretty well. I like ridgid better than most others. I guess they can call it what ever they want or what ever the consumer protection outfit lets them get away with. LOL

TerryT
06-06-2014, 10:30 AM
It makes a difference if you try and convert HP to Watts using 746 Watts/HP. The HP should give you the approximate amperage if it was measured correctly. I have a shop vac which says 5.5 HP Peak. It draws 10A at 120V and so it really is about 1200/746=1.6 HP or less.

Yeah, I used to do that. Now I just plug it in and hope it sucks.

Digitalwoodshop
06-06-2014, 04:52 PM
It's like MPG on a car.... You can't always trust the numbers... and 47.2 % of Satistics are made up.... :)