PDA

View Full Version : Optimal, best vs normal

kelsky
06-03-2014, 11:37 AM
As I am newbie to the machine, I am trying to garner the value between machine time and the higher quality settings. Seems to me, that machine time is precious and going from a 1 hr carve time to 4 hrs doesn't excite me. I am curious how the experienced users resolve in their mind that longer machine time is always better. Thx

TerryT
06-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Using Optimal setting can save a lot of labor time sanding.
I have found that my machines are capable of carving nicely on walnut and cherry with very little sanding by just using Best setting. That is what I use most of the time. Carving other woods that are softer and fuzzier I might use optimal to reduce my labor time. I use, almost, exclusively walnut and cherry. Therefore the majority of my carving time is on Best.

DickB
06-03-2014, 12:10 PM
It comes down to experience with your particular carvings, wood species, and what you are trying to accomplish. There is no one answer.

I design and build clocks with hidden battery compartments and the like. I use "Draft" mode on these pockets which are hidden from view. In many cases, such as large raised lettering in a recessed region, "Normal" works well, as it is relatively easy to sand the flat recessed carved areas. I use "Best" for my lake maps, particularly in hardwood like oak, for minimal sanding. I tried "Optimal" once, but did not see sufficient benefit over "Best".

55president
06-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Draft —96 passes per inch
Normal -128 passes per inch
Best- 192 passes per inch
Optimal -256 passes per inch

gashawk
06-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Also it does change the boldness of the tops of carves.