PDA

View Full Version : first carve y axis error

shasta
06-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Got my machine in trying out my first carve on a 6x24 peice of poplar, and about 75% of the way through it gives me a y axis error and says to press stop....I assume it was from dust build up so I cleaned it out and it seems to have gotten over the error, so my question is can I continue the job I was carving or does it have to start over? Can I restart the project and recarve it on the same board? If not can I flip it over and carve the back side?

fwharris
06-02-2014, 12:40 PM
You can recover your carving by modifying your project by placing a carve region with a 0 depth over the area that has been carved. re save the project and upload it to the card. You might have to run some masking tape over the area that has been carved to fool the board sensor so it sees a flat surface when doing the board measurement at start up. Just run the piece of tape so that it is under the Z truck for the board sensor.

shasta
06-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks ill give that a try

Digitalwoodshop
06-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Could be the 7 inch rule of wood jumped up and bit you... As in if the project was 75% done and the project setup to let the board come out from under the roller and TIP UP into the bit causing it to stall in Y or left to right. It is slightly less than 7 inches between the 2 rubber rollers that hold down the board with the bit in the center or about 3.5 inches from each roller. When the board is not held by both rollers it can tip UP into the bit. Check the in feed and out feed tables as they can be high or low...should be the same as your belts.

It is best to design projects to be held down to the table FLAT by BOTH Rollers and just how to do that can be found in Tips and Tricks.

I do it by sometimes taping a scrap piece of wood on the end of the board and using Place on END and plan that 4 inch dead area in my artwork.

Some use a Sled too.

In my pictures see how I place a blank area to the right side of the screen that is the block of taped on wood. Brass Roller in on top of the screen in relation to the board in the machine. And like I said, I use place on end and not center on board.

WELCOME !!!!

WE are here to help.

AL

shasta
06-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Could be the 7 inch rule of wood jumped up and bit you... As in if the project was 75% done and the project setup to let the board come out from under the roller and TIP UP into the bit causing it to stall in Y or left to right. It is slightly less than 7 inches between the 2 rubber rollers that hold down the board with the bit in the center or about 3.5 inches from each roller. When the board is not held by both rollers it can tip UP into the bit. Check the in feed and out feed tables as they can be high or low...should be the same as your belts.

It is best to design projects to be held down to the table FLAT by BOTH Rollers and just how to do that can be found in Tips and Tricks.

I do it by sometimes taping a scrap piece of wood on the end of the board and using Place on END and plan that 4 inch dead area in my artwork.

Some use a Sled too.

In my pictures see how I place a blank area to the right side of the screen that is the block of taped on wood. Brass Roller in on top of the screen in relation to the board in the machine. And like I said, I use place on end and not center on board.

WELCOME !!!!

WE are here to help.

AL

thanks al, I tried adding 3.5 inches on either side of the carve but this time got a z axis error, is it possible that I have my rollers on the ends set too low and could be causing this?

myshop1044
06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Shasta, give me a call, maybe I can help you ,I am a lot closer to you.
this is what START U members can do for new users.
Perry B.

Digitalwoodshop
06-08-2014, 02:50 PM
I got a Z Stall and 0313 error the other day that I was not expecting... We have seen a bunch of posts in the past with a Z Stall or 0313 error. In my case it was when the bit went down on the left side to touch the Brass Roller Plate... And it stalls on the first down stroke... Turns out I am using a ROCK Chuck and I installed the 1/8 Cutting bit TOO LONG.... I did not insert it all the way to my 1/4 inch ring stop... and just 2/10's of an inch long and it HIT on the down stroke not expecting to hit and stalled.... I inserted the bit all the way and I already have a Cut Path FIX loaded on my card as I am doing a large batch of wood handles and expected to need a fix... I am 1/2 way... Cutting the 10 of 20 boards and only one Stall and it was...... wait for it...... :)"PILOT ERROR":)

My phone number is on the bottom of my web page if you need help... or email me and I will call you.

AL