PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" vs 1/16" carving bits

pqkenai
06-01-2014, 02:56 AM
What are the pros & cons of using a 1/8" carving bit instead of the 1/16"? Is it faster, or does the machine just slow down to compensate for the wider cut path? Does it leave more jaggedness? I am not doing especially fine work.

Ton80
06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
The only obvious thing I could say is you won't be able to get the same resolution carve using a 1/8" carving bit. My thought would be this may work for low res carvings if that is what you're working with. Can't say how the machine changes as far as feed rate but I don't think it would run much slower and if the bit is in good condition it should carve as smoothly as the 1/16" bit would

bergerud
06-01-2014, 09:41 AM
What you may need is the 3/16" carving bit. The program uses the 1/8" carving bit for carving soft materials ("basswood and foam"). It was introduced for the CW racing software.

The 3/16" carving bit is quite a bit faster at carving larger surfaces. If the detail you need can be accomplished with the 3/16" ballnose, it is the way to go.

ktjwilliams
06-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Agreed Dan !!! I use my 3/16th bit whenever I can ... Really speeds up carving ... If I have a smaller detailed graphic in my project with raster letters.. I will do the Graphic with the 1/16th bit and then do the lettering with 3/16ths ...

pqkenai
06-04-2014, 03:04 AM
Thanks, guys, I will have to get one. Next question: I tried using my 1/4" & 1/2" bullnose bits for centreline carving, & both of them barely touched the surface but would not allow me to set the depth in the "choose bit" option. I am sure I am missing something! Do they only carve to a certain preset depth? If there is a solution to this, can I use the 1/4" for raster carving instead of the 3/16, or is it too big? I am carving only in spruce.

DickB
06-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Did you mean centerline? Centerline is designed for the 90 degree or 60 degree v bits only. The depth is not selectable because the depth is automatically set, and constantly varied, to yield the desired width of the character strokes. It works only with those v bits.

I would not use a bullnose bit for carving - I think it will move too aggressively.

lynnfrwd
06-04-2014, 10:07 AM
PQ:

See the Tutorials under Support at www.carvewright.com

Here is a link to Centerline: http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/centerline/

SteveNelson46
06-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks, guys, I will have to get one. Next question: I tried using my 1/4" & 1/2" bullnose bits for centreline carving, & both of them barely touched the surface but would not allow me to set the depth in the "choose bit" option. I am sure I am missing something! Do they only carve to a certain preset depth? If there is a solution to this, can I use the 1/4" for raster carving instead of the 3/16, or is it too big? I am carving only in spruce.

The depth of the bit will vary as the space between the lines varies. For example, if you have 2 parallel lines the bit will use a "centerline" down the middle and plunge the bit as deep as necessary to fill the space between the lines. If the space between the lines varies, the bit depth will be adjusted to fill the space.

FWMiller
06-04-2014, 02:05 PM
If the space between the lines varies, the bit depth will be adjusted to fill the space.

It does this until a max depth, not controlled by the user, is reached. If the max depth doesn't fill the width, then it does two passes and starts to look similar to"outline".

pqkenai
06-05-2014, 04:18 PM
This is all good stuff. Next, when would I use a 90 degree bit & when a 60 degree? What are the pros & cons of each?

DickB
06-05-2014, 05:04 PM
This is all good stuff. Next, when would I use a 90 degree bit & when a 60 degree? What are the pros & cons of each?I use the 90 degree on larger letters with wider strokes, and the 60 degree on smaller letters with thinner strokes. Centerline will limit the depth of cut, so this only makes sense. That is, with the 90 degree bit you can cut a wider stroke with out hitting the depth limit. My typical process is to stain Centerline lettering with a darker stain, or use a spray ink, then sand away the overspray. A 60 degree bit cut is more tolerant of removing material - if you remove too much, the lettering is misshapened and/or the thinner strokes shrink or disappear.

pqkenai
06-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Got it. Thanks.

pqkenai
07-30-2014, 02:18 PM
So, just to be clear, so I don't blow up my machine, I can use a 3/16" carving bit on same material that the 1/16" will do [spruce, in my case].

SteveNelson46
07-30-2014, 07:05 PM
So, just to be clear, so I don't blow up my machine, I can use a 3/16" carving bit on same material that the 1/16" will do [spruce, in my case].

Yes but, you will lose some detail. The 3/16" bit is best used on patterns that do not have a lot of intricate detail.