PDA

View Full Version : What are PTN files

pathman
02-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I am a newb and do not know the differenct in PTN an MPC files. I downloaded a PTN file, but do not know how to use it. I tried to open it, but no luck. Any help is appreciated.

HandTurnedMaple
02-24-2007, 06:56 PM
.ptn is a pattern:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2566

.mps is a project.

ptn is in your library and can be applied to any project. Once a board has a pattern on it it becomes a project, which is saved as a .mpc.

pkunk
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
I am a newb and do not know the differenct in PTN an MPC files. I downloaded a PTN file, but do not know how to use it. I tried to open it, but no luck. Any help is appreciated.
In Designer, open the Pattern file(blue shell), double click on 'favorites'(command click-Mac), & chose import-the file you downloaded. The files there are PTN, while something you have created on a board in Designer becomes an MPC file.

pkunk
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
you type too fast, HTM. :)

pathman
02-25-2007, 07:58 AM
My thanks for setting me straight.

So far I have had my machine for 2 months and have cared 54% of one project.

The CW was a gift to myself after I had to have a heart stent in mid December. My idea was to carve on weekends for my four graddaughters and my wife.

First the four corner post were out of alignment and thanks to reading the forum, I was able to correct this situation.

I started carving and at the 54% mark, the bit dug through the piece and stopped. Machine is back at CW for repairs. I am not sure when it will return, but I watch everyday for the FedEx truck. My hope ramains high, but my heart is sad.

I hope to "learn by reading", as so far, I cannot "learn by doing". Thanks again for the help.

The Bard
02-25-2007, 12:37 PM
don't assault a Fedex truck there.... assault the DHL truck, that's how we send them hehe.

MJ carver
02-25-2007, 05:31 PM
In Designer, open the Pattern file(blue shell), double click on 'favorites'(command click-Mac), & chose import-the file you downloaded. The files there are PTN, while something you have created on a board in Designer becomes an MPC file.
pkunk,

Thanks for the Mac instructions, but when I followed them, I got an alert that this was not a recognized graphic format. It was a ptn of a dragon downloaded from this forum. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

pkunk
02-25-2007, 05:53 PM
pkunk,

Thanks for the Mac instructions, but when I followed them, I got an alert that this was not a recognized graphic format. It was a ptn of a dragon downloaded from this forum. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Is your PTN still zipped?

MJ carver
02-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Now that's an interesting question. When I went to the folder to check, I did not find zipped files. I double-clicked to open and view the file, it came up as a quicktime movie. Has anyone else downlaoded these: oriental-dragon-patterns-528 from this forum?

pkunk
02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Now that's an interesting question. When I went to the folder to check, I did not find zipped files. I double-clicked to open and view the file, it came up as a quicktime movie. Has anyone else downlaoded these: oriental-dragon-patterns-528 from this forum?
You Cannot double click on a PTN file. Mac-control cilck on your favorites >import> PTN from whatever location, it will be imported into your favorites.A pattern looks like this.

MJ carver
02-25-2007, 07:07 PM
You Cannot double click on a PTN file. Mac-control cilck on your favorites >import> PTN from whatever location, it will be imported into your favorites.A pattern looks like this.
Okay, I have the same type of file as your thumbnail, but it still will not import into Designer. It must be the file, as the normal procedure works with other files, such as jpg. I am not able to import ptn files for some reason. I also tried another ptn file but that didn't work either. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Jeff_Birt
02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Click the icon that looks like the shell, DO NOT use the file menu. Right click a.k.a Control-click and then import.

BobHill
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
How did you try to import the PTN file? Did you click on the Pattern Tool icon (blue shell) RIGHT CLICK on Favorites in Designer, then click IMPORT and browse to where you stored the PTN file on your system? That's all you should have to do. Then just start a new Project and drag the icon of the PTN on to the board and adjust as needed.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

BoardSilly
02-25-2007, 07:22 PM
If you are running on a PC and not a Mac, click on the blue shell on the toolbar to open the patterns window. If you can't see the blue shell - click on 'carving' then the 'pattern tool'. In the patterns window, RIGHT CLICK on the 'Favorites' word and it will open a small window that presents you with the 'import' selection. Select import and then browse to your ptn file.
You do not 'double click' on Favorites to get it open on a PC.

MJ carver
02-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Click the icon that looks like the shell, DO NOT use the file menu. Right click a.k.a Control-click and then import.
Thanks to everyone who helped! I think the right-click thing was lost on me, seeing as my macbook doesn't have a right button. Once I hooked up a mouse, it all worked. I must say that "IMPORT IMAGE" comand in the file menu is misleading... Thanks again, I'm back on track now.

ps- message to pkunk: my bad in misreading your instruction to control-click. In macland, I read that as command-click. Obviously, it didn't work, but control-click does. I'll try to pay closer attention from now on!

BobHill
02-25-2007, 07:44 PM
MJ, Pkunk is also a MAC user.

Bob

pkunk
02-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Okay, I have the same type of file as your thumbnail, but it still will not import into Designer. It must be the file, as the normal procedure works with other files, such as jpg. I am not able to import ptn files for some reason. I also tried another ptn file but that didn't work either. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Are you control clicking here? I just imported 1 of your dragon PTN's. What is your Mac? OS & memory?

pkunk
02-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped! I think the right-click thing was lost on me, seeing as my macbook doesn't have a right button. Once I hooked up a mouse, it all worked. I must say that "IMPORT IMAGE" comand in the file menu is misleading... Thanks again, I'm back on track now.

ps- message to pkunk: my bad in misreading your instruction to control-click. In macland, I read that as command-click. Obviously, it didn't work, but control-click does. I'll try to pay closer attention from now on!On every Mac I've ever had (been quite a few) the keyboards all had a 'control' button.:) Glad you finally got it. This was frustrating.