PDA

View Full Version : Wide Signs

bullricd
05-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I have been asked, by a customer, to do my first wide sign.
I will need to carve two pieces of wood and fit them together.

Can anyone please share any tricks that will help me be successful?
I need to know how exactly to do the two separate designs so that they fit together.

easybuilt
05-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Here is a great detail on that by Michael Tyler and should answer most of your questions.
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Jul09.pdf

Digital_WoodWerks
08-21-2014, 04:27 PM
How would you go about making a wide sign (lets say with 2 12"x 60" boards) if you don't have CorelDraw to create the sign in another platform. From what I gather, Michael created it in Corel, put it into pattern editor, then put it in the pattern library and pulled it up on a "NEW" carve. But he mentioned this wasn't the only way. So, what are the other ways??

dltccf
08-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Simply make it smaller on one board until you like it. Then select all and drag the corner until it is the size you want with half of it off the board. Save it then move it down until the other half is off the board. Save it with another name. You now have two projects one with the top half and one with the bottom. Carve both and glue them together.

Dave

easybuilt
08-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Simply make it smaller on one board until you like it. Then select all and drag the corner until it is the size you want with half of it off the board. Save it then move it down until the other half is off the board. Save it with another name. You now have two projects one with the top half and one with the bottom. Carve both and glue them together.

Dave

Good answer Dave! That is how I do all of them.

ktjwilliams
08-22-2014, 01:08 PM
I've made several multi part signs ... 71260 Here's one example ... I've made some that span 4 boards wide and more ... For something under 29 inches, you design your project on one board 14.5 inches in width ... After your design is complete, Center project on length !!!! Now grab an upper corner and stretch the project to the size you want .. Now, move ur project up or down and line up the yellow center dots on the top board edge .. Snap to Grid and Snap to edge are helpful.. Now save this as bottom board MPC ... The project is still open do not close ,,, Now move your project down until center dots snap to bottom edge of board, just move the design do not resized or remove center ... Save this as top board MPC.. upload each and carve ... after carving there may be some uncarved material left on edge to be joined ... Good measurements and trim on table saw ... Join N Done ....71263

Kevin !!!!

Digital_WoodWerks
08-22-2014, 08:33 PM
There was a sign in your pic? I only saw 3 cars, all which are my favs, I used to own a 69 Camaro. LOL. Thanks for the help guys. I re-created the sign and saved it to card this afternoon. My only question is, when placing the yellow arrow at edge of board, should it go to the exact edge in hopes you are not just a hair too far or place it a hair onto the board? I placed it at the exact edge, I hope it was the right call.

ktjwilliams
08-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Center markers get placed on the edge. Chances are that you'll have to trim that edge anyway. Use snap to grid n snap to edge.