PDA

View Full Version : Spot Blaster

jackh
05-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Harbor Freight sells what they call a Spot Blaster Gun. Has anyone tried blasting a carved project to "clean up" the fuzzes/irregularities? If so how did it work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13512.jpg

Capt Bruce
05-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Jack,
I tried an old sandblaster I had several years ago but with very inconsistent results (even using crushed walnut shells). Didn't really do what I wanted, and with no enclosed blast booth made a real mess and lots of dust in the air . . . so I moved on the 4" and 6" double sanding mops mounted in my stationary drill press. I use 100 grit first to take off any big stuff and then 240 grit to clean off the fine stuff, smooth the flat areas and soften the edges. I have to limit myself or I end up polishing the wood and it prevents even absorption of the stain or finish coat.
I then generally touch up problem spots with diamond dust coated micro file rifflers that let me get down into narrow areas and clean up the details.

Some users report using a gas cylinder torch to lightly burn off fuzzies and other swear by rotary scotchbrite type discs. Hope this gives you some ideas and let us know if you try the blaster.

cestout
05-25-2014, 08:35 PM
I agree with the Captain, mops are the way to go. I use 180 then 220 and have an older 220 to use between coats of finish. Use mops long before the CarveWright came along. I also use mini mops, but they can be a little aggressive. Bothe are avalible from sears. They are the ones from RJR Studios, the inventor of the sanding mop and the Sand Flee. Meet him back in the '90s at a couple of woodworking shows. I have the original version of the Sand Flee. My son bought is and never took it out of the boxes, so he gave it to me.
Clint

zan29
05-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Also agree with Capt. Bruce, the sanding mop does a very good job!

cjudas
05-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I agree, all I used on this carve was a sanding mop #120 I think and all the fuzzies are gone. Very nice little tool.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69693&d=1401060766