PDA

View Full Version : Project design problem! HELP please!

Iron Mike
05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Could use a little help on my first design; don't know how to correct the drawing to get 90degree sides. Sorta confused with the feather, draft, routing and bit optimization operations. :confused: I carved a quick test using pine and as shown in the photos but the bit profile (1/16" carving) causes the inside of the pattern to not be 90 degrees. Can someone point me in the right direction please? A couple of tweaks on final dimensions and a fix for my question and I'll be off and running with 1" walnut/cherry (not 3/4" as for my test carve).

THANKS any assistance.

fwharris
05-23-2014, 04:52 PM
The 1/16" carving bit has a 7* tapper so you will not get square (90*) corners or pockets. You will have to use one of the straight bits (1/8, 1/4, 3/16 or 3/8) to get square edges. Note though they are not intended for pattern type carves.

Iron Mike
05-23-2014, 05:00 PM
I thought about that but those bit options don't show up on the bit selection menu in designer. Can I add them someway and do a 'dome surface'? Is that possible?

bergerud
05-23-2014, 06:04 PM
There are two different basic operations you can do with the machine. Carving with the tapered carving bit or routing (cutting along a path) with a long list of other bits. To see all the bits possible, draw a circle and then choose "select bit" either from the Tools Toolbar or the Tools menu.

If you post the project file here in the forum, (look for the Go Advanced button) someone might have some suggestions as to the best method to do what you want to do.

Iron Mike
05-23-2014, 08:52 PM
There are two different basic operations you can do with the machine. Carving with the tapered carving bit or routing (cutting along a path) with a long list of other bits. To see all the bits possible, draw a circle and then choose "select bit" either from the Tools Toolbar or the Tools menu.

If you post the project file here in the forum, (look for the Go Advanced button) someone might have some suggestions as to the best method to do what you want to do.

This is the project I'm interested in doing. Could cut the center slot on the table saw I guess but I would prefer to have the CW do it. Suggestions for making the vertical cuts 90* per 1st post pics?

Thanks

fwharris
05-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Real nice card holder design.

Is the area you are asking about the center divider between the two deck areas to hold the divider? If so, instead of a carve region use the 1/8" bit to cut the pocket. Assign the bit, set depth and max pass and inset 0.063.

Iron Mike
05-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks . . . . but the design is from one my wife's uncle made many, many, many years ago; I thought I would duplicate for a gift for friends.

Yes, the center divider is the main area I want to fix. I'll give your technique a try tomorrow. I'd like to get the inside wall along the 'inverted dome' to be 90* as well if possible. Not so important really but it might come up in a future project and knowing how to handle it would be nice.

I take it that your technique would allow me to carve the wide center pocket (w/o the inset) using the 3/8" straight bit. Would save a lot of machine time if so.

Again, THANKS!

fwharris
05-23-2014, 10:41 PM
I did the change I suggested so you can see..

fwharris
05-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks . . . . but the design is from one my wife's uncle made many, many, many years ago; I thought I would duplicate for a gift for friends.

Yes, the center divider is the main area I want to fix. I'll give your technique a try tomorrow. I'd like to get the inside wall along the 'inverted dome' to be 90* as well if possible. Not so important really but it might come up in a future project and knowing how to handle it would be nice.

I take it that your technique would allow me to carve the wide center pocket (w/o the inset) using the 3/8" straight bit. Would save a lot of machine time if so.

Again, THANKS!

Getting the dome area wall to be 90* might not be possible to do like the center area since it does have a slope. Doing vector cuts you can not set it to follow a slope (that I know of), it is one depth.

Yes you could use the 3/8 bit for the center cut. I was just going off of the size of the area, .250" that you had set. You would still want to control the depth of cut (max pass) though.

Iron Mike
05-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Super help -now to get'r done!