PDA

View Full Version : carve time

aokweld101
05-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I've been struggling since I've bought the carvewright on how much to charge for carve time. For instance the condiment caddy, takes 4hrs. 15 mins to carve at the best setting, on the machine what do other carvers charge for the time? then there is the wood that for this project cost, $18.75 all total... polyurethane, sandpaper, stain, and the time to put it together. What would be the a reasonable price for it?

cestout
05-23-2014, 06:53 PM
I start with about $40 a sq ft (rounded up) then figure in cost of wood, complexity of the design (time to design it) etc. It can not be an exact science, but too often ends up more that people want to pay - unless they understand what they are getting. The import stores don't help.
Clint

Ton80
05-24-2014, 09:15 AM
I don't know what the project is that you are referring to but selling your woodworking projects can be difficult. Unless it's something that is really unique or fits a niche that no one else is filling. Lots of factors involved.

There are a number of books on the subject and you should look into them as many woodworkers undervalue their time and skill which doesn't do anyone any good. This is a good one to start with. 69661

dbemus
05-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I have had good luck by charging $10 an hour for machine time plus the cost of the wood. Anything extra might include purchase of a pattern that is unique to the project. Some projects have to be adjusted downward based on practicality. I always charge for the material up front.