PDA

View Full Version : cutout

lone star
05-20-2014, 10:23 PM
We need to cut this design completely from the board. We have never done this kind of cut out before. I created this with the outline feature in text. While it cut a good part of the design, it is loose while cutting and the bit broke.

Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

fwharris
05-20-2014, 10:40 PM
I assume you used the "cut path" tool for this. One thing to check is the tab height and number of tabs settings in the cut path input box.
Set the tab height to the max setting.

bergerud
05-20-2014, 11:07 PM
You really should post the project file so we can best advise you.

SteveNelson46
05-21-2014, 01:06 AM
We need to cut this design completely from the board. We have never done this kind of cut out before. I created this with the outline feature in text. While it cut a good part of the design, it is loose while cutting and the bit broke.

Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A pierced carve region will probably yield the best results. Place the text on the board as raster and size it. Draw a rectangle around the text, make it a carve region and then check the pierced check box on the tool bar. You can use the connected lines tool or the spline tool instead of a rectangle to get a closer proximity to the text. Don't forget to add some manual tabs to hold the text in place. See example

lone star
05-21-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure how to attach a file here. That was what I intended to do but could not find the command. I think I may have attached it now.

I am working in version 1.187 so I was not able to open the file that was posted- by SteveNelson46.

SteveNelson46
05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure how to attach a file here. That was what I intended to do but could not find the command. I think I may have attached it now.

I am working in version 1.187 so I was not able to open the file that was posted- by SteveNelson46.

Attached are two different examples. One is a pierced carving and the other is a standard cutout. I made the standard cutout by changing the text to raster, outlining the text (Tools, Outline Pattern) and then used the cutout tool (Tools, Cut Path). For the inside cutouts I had to flip the cutout to the inside. Both examples are done in version 1.187