PDA

View Full Version : The advantages of a bricks and mortar Sears store....

LZee
02-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I see there's been some trouble ordering the CompuCarve through sears.com---evidently it's always out of stock or having very long wait times, yes?

I'd like to put in a plug for going to your closest Sears store and ordering it there. We've had great luck in getting machines very close or dead on the order date when we've gone through our store system.

I looked this morning, and ordering one today (to take advantage of the Craftsman Club discount), has a release date (ie. it will be out of the warehouse and onto a truck) of 6 March, 2007.

We've ordered several machines for folks, and they've always arrived within one week of the date given warehouse release.

So, if you're not having much luck through sears.com, why not try your local store?

Linda
The "What's that big red lever do?" Sears Tool Consultant

Julie Coffey
02-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Hello Linda, many of us had gone into the stores because of the .com issues. But delivery and distribution logistic issues on a apparently VERY popular tool left many of us experiencing what could be called a 'hurry up and wait' situation. To the best of my knowledge all of those last generation kids (myself and IM2HAPPI included) have gotten ours and have experienced very few issues with them.

Just in today's fast food society- we order something and have grown complacent in expecting the same. Want a crash course in artisan appreciation? Several of my knife making/knife gun engraving mentors have a 1-3 yr waiting list for their engraving/work. Nothing like going back to the days of old eh? Three weeks wait wasn't an issue, but looking back Sears loosing my order entirely was. But now with my machine safely nestled in the furnace room all nice and warm it's all good.

Julie

Footnote- FYI this was the first time in over 24 yrs of buying through Sears I'd had any sort of issue. I will not let this singular situation reflect on my being a ongoing customer. I did get on a first name basis with our stores area manager and have shared what I've learned about the tool with the people in the tools dept. so its a win win.

LZee
02-24-2007, 02:24 PM
"Three weeks wait wasn't an issue, but looking back Sears loosing my order entirely was."

Wow---it's almost virtually impossible to lose an order...that's been properly placed.

Take a look at the original sales reciept---the one we lost?---and see if it has the words: "Merchandise on Order/Customer Pick-up" in big bold letters.

If it does, than yes! we lost your order! Yikes! A bajillion pardons!

But if not...then it wasn't rung up correctly. My guess is that it was rung up as a regular sale, ie. as if you had taken an actual compucarve to the cash register, paid for it, and hauled it out to your car.

Linda
The "Big Red Lever" Sears Tool Consultant

Julie Coffey
02-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes it did have it on there- and yes they could not find my order. When I called to check to see if it was in(on the day indicated on my slip) and they ran my number they could not find me. I had to bring in my receipt to prove I had paid for it. Then that and talking to the manager got the ball rolling.

Like I said I met some very nice people along the way and it all worked out ok- its not your fault so no harm no foul but not every Sears Associate is as efficient or as cordial as you. I know who to pick and choose when I go into my particular store.

Julie

Jeff_Birt
02-25-2007, 01:30 PM
And yet another reason: If all else fails you can take it back there and get a good one. I finally had to admit defeat today and return my unit to get a replacment. I think the pinched board edge sensor wire damaged something on the control board. The people at Sears were super nice, and even called me back when I got home to say they forgot to put in the 12 months no interst financing that I got when I orderd it in December, but they will get it fixed promptly.

All that being said, CW really tried to work with me to get it going. now, it's on it's way (via Sears) back down to Bards capable hands....

PS. At no time during all of this did I find it necessary to yell, cuss or get angry. I can understand the frustration that others feel when your machine does not work but honey will go further than vinegar.

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
but honey will go further than vinegar.

I couldn't agree with you more.

J

LZee
02-26-2007, 07:42 AM
"Yes it did have it on there- and yes they could not find my order. When I called to check to see if it was in(on the day indicated on my slip) and they ran my number they could not find me. I had to bring in my receipt to prove I had paid for it. Then that and talking to the manager got the ball rolling. "

Well...I'm sorry to say it sounds like we lost it! I'm glad it worked out for you...even with a longer than promised wait.

(South Central Michigan---I'm in Grand Rapids!)

"The people at Sears were super nice, and even called me back when I got home to say they forgot to put in the 12 months no interst financing that I got when I orderd it in December, but they will get it fixed promptly."

We're supposed to be super nice---we're *paid* to be super nice. It shouldn't be that hard!

We are now in the process of using our CompuCarve until we break it. One of our Lawn and Garden guys loaded on a couple of .jpg of a Craftsman tractor and a Craftsman 80th anniversary graphic and a picture of the Sears tower---even one of Founding Father Richard "The Biggest Catalog in the World" Sears!

One question: I'd like to glue the carving bit into the adapter as a permanent mount. What do I use? I've got Super Glue at work...or do I need to buy something else?

Linda
Sears Toolz

Jeff_Birt
02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Linda,

Are you trying to prevent someone from removing the bit/adapter and walking away with it? The big draw back I see to glueing the bit/adapter into the chuck is that WHEN (not if) the bit breaks it will be impossible to replace withough major surgery.

And, I'm very impressed that you are going out of your way to learn about the products your selling. You mentioned before that you guys 'get paid' to be nice. If that is true then not everyone is earning their keep. :) But, it is reassuring that there are some good folks like you out there who give it 110%.

LZee
02-26-2007, 10:56 AM
No, I don't want to glue the bit/adapter to the chuck, I want to glue the bit *into* the adapter...didn't I read somewhere that if you were going to be doing quite a bit of carving with the same bit, you might want to add a drop of permanent thread cement to the bit and adapter?

Because after all, we'll use the same bit over and over and over. I can't imagine our store manager (even if he is the best on the planet) ever okaying a new bit purchase.

So, maybe I ought to say that we're going to carve with our bits until we break the *bits* (and not the machine!)

Linda
Sears Toolz

revved_up
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
still think you ought to glue it to the chuck or I might be tempted to come and get it and swap it out with one slightly "shorter" (read missing tip) bit. LOL