PDA

View Full Version : How I survived the Sears In-store demo...

LZee
02-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Hiya!

We did indeed demo the CompuCarve in our store this morning, and it was a rousing success!

The machine performed beautifully, though we had some learning curve issues---one of our boards had a rough, splintered edge, so that when the board was read, it was read wrong and stopped the carving before it was completed.

We figured that out, put in a board with a clean bottom edge, and got a grand carving.

Also, someone (who, um, shall remain annoymous) didn't quite grasp the significance of big red lever (which locks the head in place on the board); once we figured *that* out, the carving quality improved dramatically.

So, now we have a couple of examples of what not to do as well as some really beautiful carvings to show off.

It's really a fabulous machine, and with that Craftsman Club discount ($1699.99 through March 3rd), you can't go wrong...

Linda
The "What's that big red lever do?" Sears Tool Consultant

Julie Coffey
02-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Hiya!
Also, someone (who, um, shall remain annoymous) didn't quite grasp the significance of big red lever (which locks the head in place on the board); once we figured *that* out, the carving quality improved dramatically.

Your secrets safe with us we'd NEVER laugh at you. (snicker behind your back maybe but NEVER laugh)

Julie

CallNeg151
02-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Way to kick butt and take names!

Julie Coffey
02-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I had to laugh when I read your tag line- a good sense of humor is always a good thing to have- Great job!

Julie

mtylerfl
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM

Hello Linda,

I was told by a CW rep that they "never" use the red lever, that it "didn't matter" whether you lock it or not. So, I haven't bothered with it.

I've done several carvings, none with the red lever locked - quality seems fine. Do you feel locking the lever really made a difference? I guess the only way to verify is to do 2 carvings of the same subject - one with and one without locking the lever, then compare the results. Is that what you guys did?

Thanks in advance for clarification on this.

LZee
02-26-2007, 08:40 AM
You mean the big red lever does precisely....nothing????

We did indeed do two carvings, one wi'da big red lever and one wi'dout.

I thought the carving on the "with" was better. I was exaggerating a bit when I said "dramatically", but yeah, I thought the detail on the inside of the shell was better.

On the other hand...our biggest problem turned out to be the cheap, crappy pine we used. Come to think of it, the two carvings ended up on two different boards (the board senor actually stopped the first carving uncompleted because of a huge divot running the width of the underside).

Maybe the detail on the seond carving was better because the board was better?

Linda
Sears Tool Consultant

mtylerfl
02-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

You mean the big red lever does precisely....nothing????

...I guess so...according to the CW rep I talked to a few weeks ago, it makes no difference whether the red lever is used or not.

On the other hand...our biggest problem turned out to be the cheap, crappy pine we used. Come to think of it, the two carvings ended up on two different boards (the board senor actually stopped the first carving uncompleted because of a huge divot running the width of the underside).

Maybe the detail on the seond carving was better because the board was better?

...I imagine that is the case, yes. I may run my own "test" of 2 carvings on the same wood stock, just to see for myself if the red lever yields any kind of quality difference when it is used or not. Maybe CW could comment on what the importance of the red lever really might be.

LZee
02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Michael!

As for the significance of the Big Red Lever....man, if it doesn't make any difference to the carving, then maybe it's an ironic post-modern statement on the meaning of life. Or on man's search for God.

Because otherwse it's just another piece o'plastic, eh?

Linda
Sears Toolz

BKing
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
OK I just couldn't stand it. After selling my sign and banner shop, 15 years of working by myself, I saw the ads, read the forum and was convinced.
I just unpacked my machine and can't wait to go get some boards and start carving. I have many years practical experience with Corel, now using ver. 12,
If I can help just let me know. I feel like I know several of you already and am
looking forward to your replies, advice and probably help.

Julie Coffey
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Congrats BKing and welcome- it will be wonderful to see some new photos in the gallery- we love pictures. People rank pretty high here too.

J

Jon Jantz
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Welcome BKing to the world of carving and also the forum... Like Julie said, be sure to post pics of your work....

pkunk
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome BKing, I hope you got a good machine! Any way we can help, we will. Remember you can find lots of answers by using the 'search' function here.:)

Kenm810
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the peanut gallery, we need all the help we muster to make the chips fly
Ken