PDA

View Full Version : More questions than answers

aokweld101
05-13-2014, 09:39 PM
I seen Dan's (Bergerud) bowl that he give as a example to someone today I did the carve and didn't like the way the outside edges didn't line up, but Dan struck again... He made me start thinking, so I made what I wanted for three boards on top of one another 2.25 thick. Question #1 how do I get the file into the STL folder..#2 How is the feather made for each board for the cut out...I get these two ? answered and I'm going to get this 3-d going to do the minor things and start learning how to do gimp to keep stepping up.

fwharris
05-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Answer #1. Why do you want to take it into STL?

#2. Cut outs can only go 1" deep so you can not cut out on this.

aokweld101
05-13-2014, 10:01 PM
#1...I thought by putting it into the STL files that I could slice them into .75 thick to make the bowl and do the cut outs

aokweld101
05-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Floyd you can see what I want to do, could you please tell me what I have to do to get it that way. If I can do it at all.. Thanks

bergerud
05-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I just threw that example together to demonstrate a concept. I have not carved it myself. It should have worked out. What went wrong? What did not line up?

If you want to create an STL from a pattern, you can double click on the pattern in the favorites list to open it in the pattern editor. Then export as STL. There is really no reason, however, to do this unless you want to use the STL in another program. (You would be just going around in a loop??)

There was no feather. I made the files in 1.187 and so when opened in 2.005, the patterns get the floor feather by default. It has to be turned off.

aokweld101
05-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Dan, the outside edges had no feather they where stair stepped anywhere up to .75 on each slice and I didn't turn off the feather I read it on the forum but didn't implement it...I didn't even think of it..

aokweld101
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
It still leaves me with the question how do I do it ?

aokweld101
05-13-2014, 10:38 PM
I have gotten the front side but not the back into the stl file how do I get the backside included and get the front and back as one complete pattern

bergerud
05-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I have gotten the front side but not the back into the stl file how do I get the backside included and get the front and back as one complete pattern

The STL is a thin (mathematical) surface. It has a front and a back. You choose which side to carve when you make patterns in the STL importer.

(Try turning of the floor feather on the original file. (Checkbox beside the conform box) It is an important thing to understand.)

SteveNelson46
05-14-2014, 11:06 AM
#1...I thought by putting it into the STL files that I could slice them into .75 thick to make the bowl and do the cut outs

Maybe this will help.

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Dan, I must be dense, cause I do not understanding how do I get the front and back as a whole pattern, and how do I get the conform box up and the feather tool is the one that looks like a feather if I'm right. Steve your input on the pattern is great The only problem I have is I want to learn on how to do it I don't want someone doing it for me. All Of the Input is greatly appreciated...Thank you !!

fwharris
05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
You can not make a front and back a pattern, only each side.

Conform in for vectors applied to a carve area.

Feather will appear when you make a carve region or a pattern.

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Floyd, I have the patterns loaded into my STL files now my next question is the thickness on my working pattern is 1.755 on the back side of the pattern how do I get the two patterns to produce three boards to do the splicing. Bear with me gents I'm getting closer....

bergerud
05-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Here is an STL of an elliptical bowl. It is a real 3d object. Import it into the STL importer. Fool around with the orientation (so you are looking into the bowl) and then make the thickness (z) 2.25 so it will slice into 3 X 0.75. Just play around. Go back and forth. It takes awhile to figure out how to get what you want.

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Dan. that pattern has a certificate of trust on it I can't open it...

henry1
05-14-2014, 06:34 PM
you need the STL software to be able to open it up

bergerud
05-14-2014, 06:40 PM

I do not know what that means. You have to save it to your hard disk first and then import it from inside Designer. Have you imported STL's before?

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 06:42 PM
I have all the software all but the rotary jig software

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Yes I have Dan, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time learning this..

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I had my stepson help me and have the file now...It sure was getting around about way to get it ..

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm going to have to go back and go threw the tutorial but thanks Dan, If not for you I would still be dumbfounded, after I figure this out I have some more question on making of my own STL files. That can wait till another time...Thanks Dan !

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 08:36 PM
I have what I think it needs to be ...the problem is the same though the outside edges don't have the contour as it has on the STL

bergerud
05-14-2014, 08:42 PM
I think it is just feather. Choose feather - none. Looking good.

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 08:56 PM
I turned the feather off and I still think the edges are not contoured maybe I'm wrong or I'm not doing something right..

bergerud
05-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Looks good to me.

aokweld101
05-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I guess the best thing to do is run one of the patterns to see if to if its right at least give me peace of mind. Thanks Dan I have a lot more questions but I will wait my brain is fried..:rolleyes:

aokweld101
05-15-2014, 05:22 AM
I couldn't sleep I had a nightmare about this bowl, I thought that since you could make a pattern on the front and back of the board that instead of making the two carves and making it split the two boards at 1.125, to make the top and bottom pattern so I made the top 1.5 and the bottom carve at .75 to make the 2.25 and using three boards but as usual I hit another Quirk as I was downloading into the STL file doing the top pattern It crashes at about 97 percent downloaded and tells me to much run time and it done it twice. Some more input is needed....Thanks

bergerud
05-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Do you mean the importer crashes when importing the STL in the beginning or crashes when making a pattern at the end?

aokweld101
05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
When importing the file at the beginning.

bergerud
05-15-2014, 09:36 AM
I think that that may be a memory problem. Maybe you have many programs open?

aokweld101
05-15-2014, 09:52 AM
I think that that may be a memory problem. Maybe you have many programs open?

I closed all the programs and just had designer open, this is the message that I'm getting. It gets to 97 percent then crashes

bergerud
05-15-2014, 10:03 AM
That is the pattern editor. I thought you were talking about the STL importer. I get the odd pattern editor crash trying to save patterns but not when opening them. I will see if I can reproduce the crash.

aokweld101
05-15-2014, 10:15 AM
That is the pattern editor. I thought you were talking about the STL importer. I get the odd pattern editor crash trying to save patterns but not when opening them. I will see if I can reproduce the crash.

The crash is when I am generating an STL file

liquidguitars
05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
I noticed some transparent voids in this model that is probably confusing the polygon generator... try to smooth it a few times.

bergerud
05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
I created a similar pattern (with voids as well) and it worked fine for me in 2.006.

liquidguitars
05-15-2014, 10:51 AM
I think inside voids would be hard for the software to compute overall but like you say not impossible. Regardless the model would be useless.

Other than that I would look to manage the system memory.

aokweld101
05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
I've been playing with the pattern since my last post and I'm seeing voids in the bottom of the pattern also.. its got me backed up against the wall.. I'm stumped

aokweld101
05-18-2014, 03:38 PM
When making a pattern to go into the stl files, when making a pattern you can only a pattern on each side of the board front and rear pattern so maybe I'm not using the thickness right when I make a pattern and put it on the right side as a pattern what size should I use for the front for a 2.25 thick board and what size for the back in order to get to get my splices on three .75 boards? I'm trying so hard to comprehend this 3-d

bergerud
05-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I think you should give up trying to make STL files out of patterns. You can only really make sides of surfaces. STLs are really 3D objects. Exporting patterns to STL out of the pattern editor is not that useful. Find real 3D STL files on the web and play with chopping them up in the STL Importer. Otherwise, find a 3D program that creates STLs that you can then import.

liquidguitars
05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Dan, I find Designer to make excellent STL objects that can be imported into a ton of programs like Aspire, ZBrush, Lightwave and even back into Designer after editing... it's a powerful tool option that should not be overlooked.

gashawk
05-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Dan, I find Designer to make excellent STL objects that can be imported into a ton of programs like Aspire, ZBrush, Lightwave and even back into Designer after editing... it's a powerful tool that should not be overlooked.Does that mean the E bay Aspire compatible patterns will work with STL?

bergerud
05-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Dan, I find Designer to make excellent STL objects that can be imported into a ton of programs like Aspire, ZBrush, Lightwave and even back into Designer after editing... it's a powerful tool option that should not be overlooked.

Ok, I stand corrected. I just never had much use for the feature and was not impressed by the output.

As far as Aokweld is concerned, I think his time would be better spent chopping up pre-made STLs to make carveable 3D patterns. (I do not think he is not going to be using Aspire or Lightwave.)

aokweld101
05-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Hey Dan, Mom always said I had a hard head, I thought that I just wasn't pushing the buttons right .... I have been trying to think what I have been doing wrong. The carvewright ad said all you need is a imagination... looks like I need more programs ...lmao

liquidguitars
05-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. I just never had much use for the feature and was not impressed by the output.

I am impressed overall with the quality of the STL and have been with the exception of bottom edge tends to be " selected and cut" as opposed to " Booleans cut" with a clean line if you not filtering it correctly.

I would like a few more options when saving tho and a non ASCI option.