PDA

View Full Version : My rollaway compact CarveWright setup

DJKnutsen
05-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I have a very limited shop area, so I came up with a very functional setup for my CarveWright machine. I started with a Harbor Freight rolling tool cart and stiffing the top with 3/4" plywood, but found it was too shaky during tooling operations... so I used four Grizzly bar clamps and removed the stationary end completely.. then I perminently bolted the bars to the four corners of the cart, and when I use the CW I slip on the sliding heads of the clamps and jack the whole thing up, which gives it a slightly wider stance, and makes it very solid! I've added the Dust Deivl collector hood (which I am very happy with!!) but found that my shop vac was being overworked in the long run times... I though about the Dyson approach to home vacuums and went looking for a similar (less expensive) alternative... I found a free Dirt Devil Scorpion on Craig's List, and modified it by removing the rug brush floor head, and the upright handle and building a wood base to support it... It has a high volume air flow, and works great (6 hr run longest to date) and has the advantage that I can knock it down and it stores on the bottom shelf of my rolling cart... a neatly packaged, compact system! And it all works well together!:D

mcQ
05-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Nice neat job adding the shop vac reducer to the Dust Devil, it looks like you cut off the 4" connection and cut down the adapter. I am guessing you then cemented the adapter to the Dust Devil? Thanks for the good word on the Dust Devil.

Also, using the bar clamps looks like a pretty good idea to widen you carts stance and preventing the cart from rolling around.

Erwin

I have a very limited shop area, so I came up with a very functional setup for my CarveWright machine. I started with a Harbor Freight rolling tool cart and stiffing the top with 3/4" plywood, but found it was too shaky during tooling operations... so I used four Grizzly bar clamps and removed the stationary end completely.. then I perminently bolted the bars to the four corners of the cart, and when I use the CW I slip on the sliding heads of the clamps and jack the whole thing up, which gives it a slightly wider stance, and makes it very solid! I've added the Dust Deivl collector hood (which I am very happy with!!) but found that my shop vac was being overworked in the long run times... I though about the Dyson approach to home vacuums and went looking for a similar (less expensive) alternative... I found a free Dirt Devil Scorpion on Craig's List, and modified it by removing the rug brush floor head, and the upright handle and building a wood base to support it... It has a high volume air flow, and works great (6 hr run longest to date) and has the advantage that I can knock it down and it stores on the bottom shelf of my rolling cart... a neatly packaged, compact system! And it all works well together!:D

DJKnutsen
05-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I did in fact perminently modify the outlet of my Dust Devil to accommodate my 2" shop vac hose... and I'm very pleased with it's performance... it probably sucks up 90% of the swarf, and virtually all the fine dust... Post project clean up is a snap! Thanks Erwin

pqkenai
05-26-2014, 02:11 PM
I am using a Shop Vac, but found that the filter needed cleaning after every job. So, I cut a hole in the shop wall, put the Shop Vac outside [under a shelter], removed the filter & let it blow the shavings out onto the ground. [Being on 10 acres of forest means that the dispersed shavings don't bother anyone else].