PDA

View Full Version : carve OK, cut not so much..

kyeakel
05-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I just got my machine back from LHR where it got the entire carve tight upgrade. This was my first carve in 4-5 years. I did a heart box, something I've done in the past. Starting with the lid, the machine carved the bottom of the lid first, I did the board flip, it asks for the cutting bit, I do it, it asks for the carving bit, I do that. It then carves the top of the lid just fine. It then asks for the cutting bit again, So I put it in, it goes through it's checks and says it's routing but never turns on the cutting motor. It traces the outline like it should and then when it gets back to the top center of the heart it breaks the 1/8" bit right off. I'm kicking myself for not stopping it, but why would the cut motor not turn on? Why doesn't it know the motor is not running? What should I check, something in the pattern I used?

Thanks,
Kipp

DocWheeler
05-09-2014, 04:45 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that a plug disconnected enough to cause this.
Shipping is hard on plug connections as well as other components.

bergerud
05-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Shipping might also be hard on the plastic cover tab and motor switch. Check the switch under the top right side of the cover.

kyeakel
05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Shipping might also be hard on the plastic cover tab and motor switch. Check the switch under the top right side of the cover.

Thanks for the replies,

The axis all moved though, is the cut motor the only thing interlocked via the cover? Is there a way to simulate the carve to verify that the motor on command is given in the pattern? My machine would plunge threw the boards, and I didn't have time or inclination to fix it, so it's been many years since I last used it.

kipp

Digitalwoodshop
05-09-2014, 06:46 PM
The Right Switch is in the return power path of the Cut Motor and if that switch does not engage then the cut motor will not start. Other things can be the X Termination Board with a likely 2007 machine the bad QC's vibrated the C1 Capacitor until it snaps...

And remember that the clear cover does not have a mechanical stop when the whole cover is removed and moved. The clear cover rests on the SWITCHES and sometimes damages them or snaps off the clear cover tang that pushes the switch. So support the cover when moving it.... I even had a clear tang snap in 2007 before I learned.

The Left Switch tells the computer you opened the cover and can be monitored on the LCD under options, sensor data, and cover Switch.

It might be a good time to review Tips and Tricks to refresh your knowledge of the machine.

Sorry you lost the bit... After cleaning the machine once I broke a 1/8 inch bit then I left the head down and slid a board into the machine hearing a "Clink" of the bit snapping and a $35.00 loss then.... :mrgreen: I never did that again...

AL

bergerud
05-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Try the cut motor test (new). 0 - 8 - 4 You can fiddle with the cover switch and try it again if the motor does not go the first time.

kyeakel
05-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Try the cut motor test (new). 0 - 8 - 4 You can fiddle with the cover switch and try it again if the motor does not go the first time.

I now figured this out. I had added a dust collector to my machine. The instructions for it say to cut the clear cover straight across from the ends. This works but any deviation when the cover closed allowed the switch to be left open. Repeated opening and closing the cover would result in the switch being sometimes in the closed position and others in the open position. This explains why it worked on the carve but not on the cut.
My remedy for this was to recut the clear cover an extra 1/4" deep over the section that meets the dust collector hood. This allows for a more positive depression of the switch actuator. I also ordered a new cutting bit..

thanks for the helpful replies, they led me directly to the problem.