PDA

View Full Version : Worn paint on Y-rail

scootertrash
05-06-2014, 04:03 PM
CX, about 20 hours on it, and I noticed some paint is worn off the y-rail. Looks like there's some wear on the Z axis as well.

Do I care?

/waiting on my Ringneck Blues insert...6936769368

unitedcases
05-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Does it still carve fine?

scootertrash
05-06-2014, 04:24 PM
It sure seems to. It's carving one right now.

fwharris
05-06-2014, 04:42 PM
I think that is just normal wear. Hard to tell on the Z rail but it looks like a little bit of rust or build up. WD-40 on a rag to clean it up and lube....

It is going in the mail as soon as I get of the computer....

scootertrash
05-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Well, then get off your ding dang computer!!! LOL

I just cleaned the rails, bearings and sweepers and the head moves a bit more freely than it ever has. /shrug

fwharris
05-06-2014, 08:16 PM
You got mail!

The ease of movement was from removing the dust build up on the rails and bearings.

gapdev
05-07-2014, 01:59 PM
I noticed white residue on my rails as well. I thought it was from using Dry Lube so I quit using it and now use Way Lube (used on Mills and Lathes).

Kenny

cestout
05-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I switched from 3 in 1 to WD40 for my rails and rollers.. no more clog
Clint

lvwood1212
05-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Have been using wd40 since I got my machine and no problem so far yet. after every carve I clean all the rails with wd40 blow out the hole Machine then Vac up everything I and around the machine and blow out the hole shop into the street. as far as the rub marks don't worry just wipe them down at the end of your carve.

CarverJerry
05-08-2014, 08:17 AM
I use the dry lube and have never had a problem at all. I think I'd be afraid to use way lube as that is really thick and heavy oil and would hold the dust and wood chips. WD 40 would be ok in my book as well as it does dry up after a while. Just my 2¢ worth.

scootertrash
05-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I noticed white residue on my rails as well. I thought it was from using Dry Lube so I quit using it and now use Way Lube (used on Mills and Lathes).

Kenny

It's definitely not residue - as I ran my hand over it tiny chips of paint stuck to my fingers. It seems to carve OK so I'm just going to ignore it.

SteveNelson46
05-08-2014, 06:19 PM
It's definitely not residue - as I ran my hand over it tiny chips of paint stuck to my fingers. It seems to carve OK so I'm just going to ignore it.

It could be a chemical reaction of the dry lube and the oil lube. I don't use dry lube at all. If you do be sure to clean all surfaces very thoroughly before applying it. I can tell you from experience that mixing the two will definitely cause problems.

DickB
05-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Funny - I never clean the rails on my machine and have had no issues. I do use a dust collector. I have had frozen bearings.

scootertrash
05-09-2014, 11:39 PM
It could be a chemical reaction of the dry lube and the oil lube. I don't use dry lube at all. If you do be sure to clean all surfaces very thoroughly before applying it. I can tell you from experience that mixing the two will definitely cause problems.

Well, being a new machine I had never lubed the rails with anything. Now they have a very light coating of WD40.

CarverJerry
05-10-2014, 09:09 AM
I want to correct clarify myself, I use dry lube but only on the 4 vertical rods that guide the head. I don't use anything on the Z and Y rails as they only guide the roller bearings like railroad tracks do for a train. And yes be sure not to mix different lubes as that could very well cause things to gum up.

mtylerfl
06-22-2014, 04:07 PM
I use dry lube on the four posts, the bit plate, the truck bearings, the Y-rails, and the Z-rails. I do not use any lube that will attract and hold sawdust (i.e., no lithium grease, no oil-based lubes and no silicon lubes on those items). I spritz some on and wipe with my fingers. It can dry with a white residue which is normal...you can just wipe it off if it bothers you.