PDA

View Full Version : Warped plaques

skeeterman
05-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Had a order for 12 plaques for upcoming event, carved all 12 and sanded and stained,,had to leave town for work , got back and 9 of the 12 were warped,any quick response on un warping or just have to recarve?
steve

RogerB
05-05-2014, 05:10 PM
For wide carves glue your panels . 3 inch strips max. rotate the grain.. The grain stress will make them cup even if it is kiln dried.

FWMiller
05-05-2014, 05:43 PM
It depends on what conditions they were last flat under. If the warping was caused by a sudden change in humidity you may be able to get them to flatten back up by returning them to the original environmental conditions. And then seal them with the final clear coat which will help slow down moisture absorption.

unitedcases
05-05-2014, 05:51 PM
I have a few times, been able to lay the board with the cup up. So the edges are on the ground. Wet the bottom pretty liberally in the sun and let it bake. The moisture will rise and uncup. This is a sure fix but sometimes can remove that little bit of cup you need.

kcc2012
05-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I am currently working on a plaque that is carved out of recycled wood from an oak desk. It carved nicely and then started warping on me. I placed mine on a flat surface carving face down and put about 80 lbs of weight on it for two days, it took the warp out. Hopefully I can finish it and have no more problems.