PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Jig Synergy

jackh
05-04-2014, 10:52 AM
I am starting a new thread so we may identify the sources we use, plan to use, beg borrow or buy, ect. to obtain patterns for carving with the Rotary Jig.

My first rotary jig carving(photo below) known as Dog's and Cat's was designed using the Designer 2 S/W and required about 3 hours to carve on the rotary. It was an easy design with some carving complexity to be used as a learning experience for me to get my feet wet with the rotary. It is carved on a Doug Fir 4" X 4" which I turned round on my lathe to a diameter of 3.25" X 10"+. I used the 1/8" long bit. I was surprised at how well it carved.

I have the free student version of Autocad and I have been taking a class at a local junior college using it. So far the class has been aimed at 2D drafting use. I am not sure if this will be useful for rotary carving. Maybe with the DXF importer.

I have the student version of SolidWorks which if you are a veteran with your DD214 can be obtained for $20.00. I have no experience with it yet but plan to take a class on it next semester. These drawings should be importable using STL importer

I am also looking at AutoDesk 123D and their free design S/W. I am confused by all the packages offered and which one or ones that would be useful for rotary carving import.

I have high hopes that through this forum we all can form a synergy through which we learn and benefit from each others experiences.

blhutchens
05-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Jack,
I have used solid works, sketch up(free) but u need the add ons for stl files(also free) also gives u the ability to explode and edit stl files you have loaded as well as a ton of models to download. I have been playing with autodesk 123 it has an iPhone app to take multiple pics of objects and convert it to a 3d file. I have not used it much either.

P.s. awesome first carve. Mine was a Jesus I bought from the CW store (I figured I was gonna need his help so I carved him first)

eelamb
05-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Jack, there are many sources on the internet with free 3d models, just search for them. Here are two sources http://archive3d.net/?page=1, and sketchup wharehouse is another one.

For 3d you need a program for creating quad type models, or a sculpting program. Blender is for quads, and sculptris is for sculpting, both are free. Both are very good programs. Of course there is the 2d and 3d suite from LHR an add on for designer.

I have to warn you quad modeling or any type of 3d modeling has a LONG learning curve. Thus to learn 3d modeling you have to be willing to stick with it for a year or more.

Most of what is shown on the forum is 2.5D not 3d. 2.5d is much harder than 3d as far as I am concerned. The rotary jig can use either, as you saw using 2.5d of the cats and dogs. But a 3d model is best.

SteveNelson46
05-05-2014, 05:55 AM
I am starting a new thread so we may identify the sources we use, plan to use, beg borrow or buy, ect. to obtain patterns for carving with the Rotary Jig.

My first rotary jig carving(photo below) known as Dog's and Cat's was designed using the Designer 2 S/W and required about 3 hours to carve on the rotary. It was an easy design with some carving complexity to be used as a learning experience for me to get my feet wet with the rotary. It is carved on a Doug Fir 4" X 4" which I turned round on my lathe to a diameter of 3.25" X 10"+. I used the 1/8" long bit. I was surprised at how well it carved.

I have the free student version of Autocad and I have been taking a class at a local junior college using it. So far the class has been aimed at 2D drafting use. I am not sure if this will be useful for rotary carving. Maybe with the DXF importer.

I have the student version of SolidWorks which if you are a veteran with your DD214 can be obtained for $20.00. I have no experience with it yet but plan to take a class on it next semester. These drawings should be importable using STL importer

I am also looking at AutoDesk 123D and their free design S/W. I am confused by all the packages offered and which one or ones that would be useful for rotary carving import.

I have high hopes that through this forum we all can form a synergy through which we learn and benefit from each others experiences.

Jack,

Take a look at Sketchup. You can do 3D modeling and then export directly to an .stl with the su2stl add on. There is a bit of a learning curve as with all 3D drawing programs but, there are lots of free videos. There are also hundreds of ready-made 3D models. Best of all, it's free. Most of the time i live by "you get what you pay for" but, in this case, it's really a gonga.