PDA

View Full Version : Question on Cutouts.

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Earlier today I designed a shape, in Designer 2 (2.0.0.5), for a cutout. I used a few of the drawing tools (circle, arc and line) to arrive at the desired shape - then attempted to group the drawn elements together, for the purpose of welding a complete path for the cutout. But I found that those drawn portions would not group. I have read, and re-read what pdf's I have on cutouts, but none of it addressed what it is that I am presently trying to overcome.

SteveNelson46
05-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Earlier today I designed a shape, in Designer 2 (2.0.0.5), for a cutout. I used a few of the drawing tools (circle, arc and line) to arrive at the desired shape - then attempted to group the drawn elements together, for the purpose of welding a complete path for the cutout. But I found that those drawn portions would not group. I have read, and re-read what pdf's I have on cutouts, but none of it addressed what it is that I am presently trying to overcome.

We really need an example of what you are trying to do. Can you post your project or a reasonable facsimile?

aokweld101
05-04-2014, 12:17 PM
On the circle make it an arc.. But I'm with Steve... More input... lol

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Can you make each a shallow carve area then select all and outline. Delete carve region and make outline a cut path.

AL

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I have attached a file to illustrate my goal. It isn't exactly what I had, previously, but will serve well enough to show what it is I wish to do.

In the example, say that I wished to cut away the arc'ed area between where the two (kinda) winged sections intersect with the outer circle. How would that be done? I had thought that the points could, somehow, be selected, and the scissors used to make the desired cuts.

Then, I wished to select the outer perimeter, as well as the inside circle, and make them cutouts. But I saw no way to group those individually selected sections together, for the purpose of doing so.

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Can you make each a shallow carve area then select all and outline. Delete carve region and make outline a cut path.

AL

Al, I am going to give that a shot, now.

aokweld101
05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
here is what I think you want. Use arc's instead of circles use toggle end points to weld them together.

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 06:19 PM
here is what I think you want. Use arc's instead of circles use toggle end points to weld them together.

Yep - that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So, it is the 'Toggle End Points' command which enables the 'welding'. Thank you, VERY MUCH.

aokweld101
05-04-2014, 06:21 PM
your welcome, glad to help...

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Use arc's instead of circles. Use toggle end points to weld them together.

My friend, I am going to have to play around with this, for a while, because I am not succeeding. It has nothing to do with your guidance, because YOU did it, and IT WORKED. I, apparently, am doing something wrong.

I just drew up something else, selected all sections, and tried both the 'Toggle Control Points', and the 'Toggle Non-End Points' choices in the 'View' window. Neither of those actions produced anything even near favorable, for me. I didn't see a 'Toggle End Points' command to be available.

bergerud
05-04-2014, 07:05 PM
The toggle non endpoints just shows you which points need to be welded. To weld the points you have to have both segments selected, then click and hold the left mouse button to move one end point onto the other. A red cross will appear and you let up the button. The two curves have now become one curve.

aokweld101
05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
It also helps to use the snap to grid, if you use the view endpoints it don't show a solid white line those nodes that are still there need welded. I also want you to know that bergerud is the one that taught me most of what I know these words still are still ringing in my ears..."play with it".. It's like E.F Hutton when he speaks people listen...lol

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
The toggle non endpoints just shows you which points need to be welded. To weld the points you have to have both segments selected, then click and hold the left mouse button to move one end point onto the other. A red cross will appear and you let up the button. The two curves have now become one curve.

AHA!! So THAT's how it's done :). Just tried it, and it surely did work for me. Don't think that I would have ever figured this out on my own, though. Why? Because I wouldn't have been under the presence of mind to select all elements, then left-click, hold and move a control point AWAY from its place of original position - only to being it BACK to (what appears to be) that very same starting point. But it doesn't matter. The fact is that the good people, here, have indeed helped me to overcome the challenge.

And, as always, I am deeply appreciative.

NLAlston
05-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Well, I am no longer standing within such a confused state, after reading from the following:
http://forum.carvewright.com/archive/index.php/t-20704.html.

It was with this that I gained understanding for something else. I wondered why it was that only sometimes did I have to follow the given procedure, for welding. It seems that I had been precise, at some of my drawing positions and - at other times - not so. It was, of course, at those 'Not So' locations that I had to close the vector loops.

So, now I am good to go with this. Thanks again, to everyone.

bergerud
05-05-2014, 01:01 AM
As aokweld101 said, snap to grid is useful. The points weld easier if they snap to the same points on a grid.

NLAlston
05-05-2014, 03:41 AM
As aokweld101 said, snap to grid is useful. The points weld easier if they snap to the same points on a grid.

Truly taken under advisement - and WILL implement.