PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Belts and Graphite

bergerud
05-03-2014, 09:24 AM
I was wondering if the graphite pads they sell for belt sanders would be a good idea to put under the belts of the CW. It seems to me that overcoming the friction between the back of the belts and the aluminum pad must account for much of the work the x drive has to do. I bought a roll of the graphite pad material but its thickness would require I machine a pocket for it in the aluminum. I would do that if I knew it would work. The worry is that the graphite would also get between the drive rollers and the belts and may cause slipping of the belts on the rollers.

I think I will experiment and just load up the back of my rubber belts with graphite. Make the belts into their own graphite pads. (I can always just wash the graphite off if it turns out to be a failure.)

Has anyone tried this? What do you think?

cestout
05-03-2014, 01:26 PM
The friction is not an issue and the spacing is. If you lift the belts the boards won't reach the tracking roller.
Clint

papawbummie
05-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Years ago,most or our machinery we used on farm were used with a lot of belts which would get"thrown off" quite often . Don"t know if still available.we called it belt dressing ,made then stick like molasses Bert