PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Belts ?

Rick P
05-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I know CW sells rubber or urethane belts to replace the sandpaper belts. I have an old CW machine from 2008 and I still use the sandpaper belts. I just had my sandpaper belts rip apart during a carve...I think I left them on toooooo long...they were fairly thin. I lost track of just how old they were I guess. New belts are on and work fine. I think I'm on my 5th set of sandpaper belts. They do tend to roll up on the drive roller side and cause a little problem there and they drift to that same side over time too...though it's easy enough to slide them back.

I wonder if it would be worth upgrading to the rubber belts???

Can I please get some advice from people with older machines who have upgraded to the rubber belts. Do they cause any height issues?? Or any kind of problems.

Thanks, Rick

FWMiller
05-02-2014, 02:24 PM
I just bit the bullet and bought them based on other posts here. Plus I'm thinking of eventually getting the rotary jig and it's needed for that. Still haven't installed them yet but will soon.

aokweld101
05-02-2014, 02:40 PM
When I bought my first machine I ordered the rubber belts and on the second one I bought It had the sandpaper belts it lasted a couple of carves before the bit broke off and tore the belt I replaced the belts with the rubber ones and I have had a bit break off on the rubber belts and put a hole in the belt but it didn't tear it up like the sandpaper belt I'm still using the same rubber belts ...I personally won't use the sandpaper belts >>my two cents

chypes
05-02-2014, 03:01 PM
I know CW sells rubber or urethane belts to replace the sandpaper belts. I have an old CW machine from 2008 and I still use the sandpaper belts. I just had my sandpaper belts rip apart during a carve...I think I left them on toooooo long...they were fairly thin. I lost track of just how old they were I guess. New belts are on and work fine. I think I'm on my 5th set of sandpaper belts. They do tend to roll up on the drive roller side and cause a little problem there and they drift to that same side over time too...though it's easy enough to slide them back.

I wonder if it would be worth upgrading to the rubber belts???

Can I please get some advice from people with older machines who have upgraded to the rubber belts. Do they cause any height issues?? Or any kind of problems.

Thanks, Rick
Highly reccomended. The sandpaper belts are being completely phased out of production and eventually you wont be able to get them at all. The rubber belts do not roll up or shift. All the hardware needed to adjust for the height issues are included. It is a simple swap out procedure. Also improves the overall function of the machine. Better traction+less board slippage...Do the upgrade. It is worth it in the long run.

unitedcases
05-02-2014, 03:01 PM
I wear em out. All my machines have sandpaper belts. My machine I have had the longest has only had 1 belt change. Just hit 2000 hours on it.

fwharris
05-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Rick,

There is no issue with the rubber belts on the older machines as long as you follow the install instructions. My A machine works very well with them.

ktjwilliams
05-02-2014, 04:52 PM
I like my sandpaper belts .... I get em from a Co. in Colorado for bout $ 6 ... They last for many many carves ... The only thing I do is order em 3/4 of an inch shorter on the width so I don't ever have roll up problems .. The set that on my machine now is 2 yrs old and still looks good ...

lynnfrwd
05-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Sandpaper belts rolling towards keypad side is usually an indication that the head pressure is off (too low, I think) OR you do a lot of narrow projects.

Rick P
05-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Thank you for all the good comments. Interesting news that the sandpaper belts will be phased out...though it seems there is a source for belts other than CW.
I am leaning towards getting the rubber belts as soon as I can afford them.

Rick P
05-03-2014, 01:21 AM
I like my sandpaper belts .... I get em from a Co. in Colorado for bout $ 6 ... They last for many many carves ... The only thing I do is order em 3/4 of an inch shorter on the width so I don't ever have roll up problems .. The set that on my machine now is 2 yrs old and still looks good ...

Can you PM me your source in CO for belts? It seems CW is phasing out their sandpaper belts. Thanks !

bergerud
05-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Phasing out the sandpaper belts just means they will not come on new machines.

lynnfrwd
05-03-2014, 05:37 AM
No. It means we will no longer be selling them. The machines are already only available with rubber belts.

bergerud
05-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the correction. Curious though, not supplying a consumable OEM part. This forces customers to either go rubber or go for the third party belts.

lynnfrwd
05-03-2014, 09:08 AM
We hope everyone either has or will go rubber. It's just a better solution and needed for some features like rotary.