PDA

View Full Version : Carving on a painted board ?

Rick P
05-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I was given a piece of white PVC board material. One side was painted with gray latex house paint.
I wanted to carve the owners name through the painted side so their name would show up in white letters.

But my machine's Board Sensor would not recognize the painted surface as a board.

Is that to be expected? Is there a way to trick the Board Sensor??

Thanks for comments or advice !
Rick

fwharris
05-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Masking tape!

Digitalwoodshop
05-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I have done the PVC board and the white will turn darker over time unless painted just in case that was the plan. It collects dust in the rough surface. I would find a vinyl shop and buy a end roll of wide transfer tape and put it over the painted surface. Centerline Text then spray paint the letters then remove the transfer tape.

Solves both problems.

AL

Rick P
05-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Masking tape!

I think you mean "masking tape" the entire top surface? I tried just the edges and no go.

Rick P
05-03-2014, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=Digitalwoodshop;227850]I have done the PVC board and the white will turn darker over time unless painted just in case that was the plan. It collects dust in the rough surface. I would find a vinyl shop and buy a end roll of wide transfer tape and put it over the painted surface. Centerline Text then spray paint the letters then remove the transfer tape.

Solves both problems.

That was my plan...to use the white pvc as the lettering. I would clear spray the entire top surface to hopefully cover up the rough white surface.

fwharris
05-03-2014, 09:58 AM
I think you mean "masking tape" the entire top surface? I tried just the edges and no go.

For the measuring process just run a strip across the width and down the center length under the area the truck travels for the board sensor to read. After measuring you can remove the tape.

bergerud
05-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I have found that two layers of masking tape are sometimes required. The IR must "see through" only one layer.

DocWheeler
05-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Actually, if the board is not reflective and will not measure correctly, you need to mask some small areas.
Where you set it to measure the width, put two small pieces of light colored masking tape flush with the edges.
The tape on the edges for width measurement must not be 1" or more in width.
Tape 1" or more (unless it is all the way across) will cause it to not go to the back side.

For the length measurement, the tape needs to be about 1.5" wide and placed in about the center of the width of the board on each end.
Tape beyond 1.5" is not seen by the sensor in the X direction.

These are my understandings.