PDA

View Full Version : Maybe an unconvential use of my CW...

Bigtyme
05-02-2014, 12:51 PM
I was commissioned to build this breakfast table by a customer in NW Lower Michigan. She had a basic idea of what she wanted and I turned her ideas into the design. I really like what she had in mind and I know I could have built the leg assembly conventionally, but I heard the call of my CWs and decided to go that route. I designed the leg top and bottom in designer and forwarded screen shots with dimensions to my customer who liked them very much. The leg system is 2" thick so I did a double sided carve leaving about a 1/16" at the bottom of each side, so it ended up with a 1/8" tab piece in the center of the board. A little work on my band saw and spindle sander and I was in business. The customer wants to paint the table herself to match her kitchen, so we chose poplar for the wood as it is a nice, reasonably priced hardwood to work with and holds a painted finish very well. With 2" thick legs and a 1 1/2" thick top, it is a very solid piece and should survive most if not all of the rigors of a young family. I will be delivering the table to its new home this weekend. It will be a long day as it is about 4 hours each way, but will be a good trip to catch up on some good tunes ....

Rbacak
05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Wow, nice work!!

fwharris
05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
John,

Job well done in the design and build. I am sure she will be very pleased!

Bigtyme
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Thank you both for the kind words. It was one of those projects that just seemed come together nicely. I am really happy with how the CW contributed. Far easier than conventional means....