PDA

View Full Version : left card in washer

skeeterman
04-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Has anyone ever left card in pocket and then have it washed in washing machine?
i did tonight , hopefully it still works , put it in a ziplock bag with rice . not sure what damage has been done , will post on outcome
steve

DickB
04-29-2014, 07:10 PM
It will probably be OK, as there was no power applied while wet.

skeeterman
04-29-2014, 07:30 PM
well not sure what i messed up , but will try early next week with this card and see if it is ok, thanks for reply DickB
steve

FWMiller
04-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Since no power was applied your main problem would be due to corrosion. If you dry it out well enough and quickly enough you may get lucky. I've had friends do the rice trick on iphones and have it work.

aokweld101
04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
skeeterman, sorry that happened, I haven't washed my wallet in years. I will say that I have to admit telling us that took one heck of a man I guess its no worse than some of the mistakes that we make along the way.... Just last week I got on the forum thinking I missed my machine up by taking the memory card out while the machine was on, come to find out it was a compressing roller that was stuck, it was coincidence that it stuck at the same time I took the card out..... But for future reference I'll put this in the memory banks....lol...;)

Deolman
04-29-2014, 10:49 PM
You might try hitting it with compressed air to help dry it.

I would also order another one just in case...

swaggerstick
04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
If none of the above works, You might try putting it in an oven at about 100 degrees and bake the moisture out of it for about 4 hours. I have seen it work with a 3 phase pump motor before any power was applied. I would not bake it at any higher temp tan 100 degrees. Length of time will be more effective than temp. Good luck and let us know what worked if anything.

DocWheeler
04-30-2014, 11:06 AM
I left a "V" bit in my shirt pocket once.
Drying did not fix the broken point.
I have some cloths with extra holes now.

atldal
04-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Try putting it in a bag of rice for a day or two, the rice will pull the moisture out. Works on computers so should do the same for this.

skeeterman
04-30-2014, 11:20 AM
its sitting in bag of rice i am gonna leave it in there for a week before i try, i will let ya know the outcome .so if it happens to someone else they can see if this works
steve

scootertrash
05-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I've had great luck with leaving wet electronics in the sun. If you have a nice, dry, breezy day it will dry out in no time. Unless you live in southern extremities the sun won't heat it enough to harm it. Heck, in South Florida - where the sun will curl up a CD jewel case left in the car - I left a nortmal PCMCIA card on my dash all day by mistake and other than burning my fingers picking it up there was no harm.

skeeterman
05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Carved plaque using this card after washing and putting in bag of rice , and it worked great no problems

steve

unitedcases
05-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Carved plaque using this card after washing and putting in bag of rice , and it worked great no problems

steve

And it's clean!

dbemus
05-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Learned something new today! Never heard of the bag of rice trick. I will keep that in mind as I often slip the card into my shirt pocket. May need that trick. Just a matter of time.

dltccf
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
That is a standard fix for solving wet electronics especially cell phones dropped in toilets etc. Of course there is a joke about it told to those who don't understand technology. The joke is that when you put it in the bag full of rice, the rice attracts asians who come and fix the electronics.

CarverJerry
05-10-2014, 09:16 AM
I totally forgot that I had my pair of TV ears hanging on my neck when I climbed into the hot tub, I heard this loud screaching sound and realized what I had done..... dead in the water. So I opened the unit up, took the batteries out and laid it in front of the living room heater vent for a few days, put the batteries back in and bingo...they worked just fine. All I could do was laugh at myself but I knew they would be ok as I did this to my first transistor radio when I was a kid back in the 60's, it worked ok too after being dried out.