PDA

View Full Version : Question on pattern skipping and restarting

Ron Smith
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I was cutting a panel today out of that infamous cherry wood and it skipped on me. I started it out on a 10" x 19" piece and was to have wording at the bottom. I began carving and went on to do some other chores. When I returned, this is what I found. I had been listening to make sure the machine didn't shut off for some reason, so I wasn't concerned until I went back. Any ideas why it would skip about seven inches and then restart carving again? I figure it has to be a sensor, but which one and why not finish the pattern as it started?

HandTurnedMaple
02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't know why it would do that. But maybe set it up to carve again. If it measures the board properly then it will carve right over the top of the other carving will no ill effects (besides that piece of cherry is worthless otherwise). Once it gets back to that point watch it and see if it screws up again.

pkunk
02-23-2007, 06:13 PM
That's an odd one! I've not seen that happen yet. I'd call CW for the answer.

kyeakel
02-23-2007, 06:50 PM
It appears that the bottom of the deer's feet are what is 7 inches down. I'd guess that the board sensor didn't make contact wit hthe board in the middle and kept advancing the sandpaper rollers till the sensor indicated movement. Once that occurs, the carvewright thinks it's on the next line it needs to carve. Is the board warped?

Ron Smith
02-23-2007, 07:06 PM
You're right, it is the bottom of the pattern finished about seven inches lower. I checked the board first thing to see if it had some warpage in it, but it was fine. I could see where the machine actually started to cut another line, then stopped and advanced to board, then started to carve again. I'm surprised the cutter head would raise, advance the board, then start again. What would happen if the board tried to advance this far with the cutter head down ... besides maybe breaking a bit and/or jamming the cutter head? I do plan on trying to recreate what happened tomorrow when I have some more time. I couldn't do it today. If I find out anything, I'll be sure and let folks know.

Composites
02-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Not an owner of a CarveWright machine yet.

Thinking out loud...
If the height of the "Folding Outfeed Tables" is too high it could cause the wood to "bridge" above the X roller sensor.

I can't remember if someone said tables are adjustable.

To save your project wood.
Plane it down and put it on a sled or use the backside?

Another Idea.
From the pictures of the inside of others machines the plastic encoder disks seem exposed to the blizzard of sawdust and chips. If trash were to sandwich between the sender and receiver of the sensor assembly no movement would be sensed. Enclosing the sensor disk assemblies would be expensive. Felt wipers like brushes surrounding the sensor could be glued to prevent trash from entering and still allow movement of the disk.

If my observations and assumptions are wrong please tell me.

Just trying to help.
Dave