PDA

View Full Version : Using a sled

Darthmaul1964
04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
If I use a sled to carry the board through the CarveWright do you have to use the thickness of the sled and project board combined in the design software board settings.

DocWheeler
04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
No, just use the actual board thickness in Designer.
I wrote a Tips-N-Tricks about that a few years ago.
I would attach the link but I can never find it.
If you click on Tips-N-tricks you get a page with an option
to select "Past" ones, but it does not work!!!!!

I know there is another link but I can't find it.
Be advised, if you ever find it, that the software
now allows you to do cutouts on a sled, couldn't do that back then.

mtylerfl
04-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Here is the link to Ken's Sled Tips:

ISSUE 7 April 2008 – Carving Jigs – Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Apr08.pdf)

Here is the link to ALL Tips and tricks:

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/tips-tricks/

zan29
04-23-2014, 01:14 PM
I've decided to get lazy and not use a sled anymore. I cut just what I need to fit the pattern and glue leftover pieces from previous carvings (about 4" each) on each end, same height, same width. So far I've had great results and saving on wood.

cestout
04-23-2014, 05:56 PM
When you do that, use hot glue and use the back of the rip fence of your table saw as a guide to square things up. for one sided carves the block do not need to be the full width, just more than half way so the bard sensor can see it - but closer to full width is better.
Clint

lvwood1212
04-23-2014, 07:51 PM
When I do this just tape the 3.5 or + on each end and has worked out fine no problems yet with 150 hours of carving. if cutting thru I use 1/4 in ply wood the same.

CW-HAL9000
04-23-2014, 09:43 PM
I use a simple mdf sled for 100% of all projects. I never have to worry about edges being out of square, boards not completely flat, or any other issues like that. I carve basswood rounds, standard 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch wood all on the same sled.