PDA

View Full Version : "Z- stall 06 0313 press stop"

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 09:17 AM
I waited all winter to start carving and lo and behold.. nothing...
When I turn on the machine and select a project ... I get the following:
"Z-Axis Stall ERR E06-0313.. Press Stop"

The machine does nothing, but shows that message..

I ran the z stall test by going to Options then Config. Menu and then to test z, but the machine does nothing...

Any thoughts other than a total tear down?

bergerud
04-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Does the z truck move at all before the stall? A slight twitch? (I assume it moves freely by hand.)

One of the first things the machine does is move and check the z motor. If it does not get feedback indicating moment, it gives the stall error. Such behavior is usually caused by either a bad FFC ribbon or a loose encoder.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 09:46 AM
There is no movement at all of the z truck.. no sounds, no movement just the error message

bergerud
04-20-2014, 10:05 AM
If there is no movement at all (check again for the smallest little twitch.), I would think the motor is not getting any power. One would hope it is the FFC ribbon wire. Check it for damage or poor connection at the truck. Failing that, I think the power supply is next on the list.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Just pulled some stats off the machine... firmware 1.187.10870
Servoing time 51 hours
Cut motor 45 hours
Total Power on 66 hours
Hope this helps

bergerud
04-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a fairly new machine. The FFC ribbon should not be worn out. I think the connection of the ribbon at the back of the carriage should be checked first.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll think I'll remove the cover this afternoon and try to reseat the cable if that is a word and try again.
Now on to the video of how to safely remove cover and check cable. Thanks John

bergerud
04-20-2014, 11:26 AM
What happens if you try the x axis test? Do the belts go? I am thinking that this could be a test of the power supply. The x motor takes the same 24V as the z motor.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Ran a y test and received a Y axis stall error message 05-303,
then ran a x test and received a x axis stall error message 04-0295
again nothing moving... any thoughts?

bergerud
04-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Well, it sounds like the motors are not getting power. Good thing you did that test. The power supply is now the main suspect. The only thing I can think off to do is take off the bottom plate of the machine and check the power supply plug connections. Hopefully it is just a bad connection from sitting. Otherwise it may just be that 24V on the power supply is out and you need a new one.

Where are you Al? What do you think?

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2014, 02:15 PM
I have been watching this waiting for some of his feedback as to which way to go.... Yes, Power Supply or Connectors are susspect...

Remember to un plug the machine before playing in the bottom of the machine.....

I would un plug and re plug the power supply and computer connectors.... Gentle Please....

I would also un plug the FFC Cable on both ends and inspect..... Again, Enviromental over the winter... Could Moisture have caused Corrosion on the contacts?

AL

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 03:18 PM
It's 3:15pm and I'm on my way out to the shop and remove the bottom cover.. after I watch the video carefully and I'll attach some pictures to show
what I have.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Here are the photos of the underside
If you need additional photo let me know.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Carefully, cleaned out bottom, removed all plugs and plugged back in... everything looked shiny and new with no obvious corrosion. I couldn't remove the fcc cable for some reason. Put bottom back on same results only a cleaner machine.

bergerud
04-20-2014, 04:54 PM
When I turn on my machine, the y and z axis immediately get power and resist movement by hand. I think this is a good test as to whether they are getting power. Move the y back and forth by hand and then turn on the machine. The resistance to movement should change. If it does not change, I would say there is no power to the motors and you have a power supply problem.

If you have a volt meter, the 24v could be tested.

Canemaker
04-20-2014, 07:38 PM
I'll be working with my local Start-U member tomorrow evening to determine my problem. thanks for all your input.

bergerud
04-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Sounds good. Let us know if it turns out to be the power supply.

Canemaker
04-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Replaced the power supply and the machine started up working fine, started carving then it stopped with a power fluctuation message, several times within a simple 14 minute carve. Where should I address my concern now.

bergerud
04-23-2014, 06:47 PM
I would think that either some component of the machine is drawing too much power or your plug outlet is not providing enough power or you got a bad power supply.

Try it on a different plug circuit. If it still does it, send it back for another one. What else can you do?

Canemaker
04-23-2014, 07:17 PM
I tried it on a different plug circuit than I was using for my dust collector and I still have the same problem... check your message board

bergerud
04-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Wiggle the wires to the computer?? I got nothing.

SteveNelson46
04-23-2014, 09:25 PM
I tried it on a different plug circuit than I was using for my dust collector and I still have the same problem... check your message board

If the problem is the external power fluctuation you could try a UPS. They are a little pricey but, it may fix your problem. If the fluctuation is due to the internal parts you will probably have to replace parts starting at the most logical. Remember, just because the power supply is new or rebuilt doesn't mean that it isn't bad. You could also send it back to Carvewright but, that is pricey also. I suggest you give them a call. They will help you diagnose the problem on the phone.

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Most logical, a bad power supply... I know electronics...and yep, power supply's can be good on the work bench and bad at the machine....

At Sony we had special paperwork when something I fixed at the Service Center and then it was sent back for the same thing.... I DID catch my error the 2nd time most of the time.... So I know a Referbished Power Supply CAN fail.... Not the Tech's fault...

AL

Canemaker
04-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Ok SteveNelson: I'm new to the electronics field, so here's a novice question. "What's a UPS", I sure your not talking about sending the carvewright back to Carvewright via United Parcel Service (UPS) lol~!

lynnfrwd
04-24-2014, 03:55 PM
I'd send both the old Power Supply (with rebate form) and new remanufactured power supply into us for testing. Make sure you mark which one is old and which one is new.

DocWheeler
04-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Uninterrupted power supply, big enough to handle the cut-motor for a few seconds.

Canemaker
04-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Looks like the old machine might be making a trip to Houston...with the old and new re-manufactured power supply for proper testing and wiring harness check.

SteveNelson46
04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Ok SteveNelson: I'm new to the electronics field, so here's a novice question. "What's a UPS", I sure your not talking about sending the carvewright back to Carvewright via United Parcel Service (UPS) lol~!

A UPS is an acronym for Uninterruptable Power Supply. They have a bank of batteries and electronics that convert the power to 120 volts while the normal house current keeps the batteries charged. If the power fluctuates the devices plugged into a UPS never sees it since it's drawing the power from the batteries. So there is no fail over or lag time even if you have a total power failure. The larger the UPS and of course the more expensive ones will last longer without the house current recharging them.

Canemaker
05-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks to all the advice and help. Especially to Bergerud, Al Who, Carl Beck and Connie... I replaced the power supply then replaced the DC power supply cable... I just finished a 50 minute carve with no problems.. It looks like I'm back up and running.. Now to catch up on projects. . Thanks you to all of you.

Mikewiz
07-17-2014, 07:23 PM
I got a Z axis stall err E06-0324 yesterday during a carve. Today I took machine apart checked for loose connections and continuity on the FFC cable and z motor wire. All good The only connection that was loose was the board sensor connector on the back of the z motor. Put it all back together and the machine would now home but got check board sensor when trying to measure. Put a new board sensor in and checked the wires for continuity and now getting the z stall again. Could the board have anything to do with a z axis stall. Also with the machine on I have resistance moving the truck up and down, Didn't have it last night when the problem first started. z sensor check reads zero when moving truck. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Digitalwoodshop
07-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a bad FFC Cable... See other post with pictures.