PDA

View Full Version : What fonts work with Centerline?

FWMiller
04-19-2014, 06:23 PM
I've just worked through my computers entire library of 250+ fonts and they all look very poor with centerline. I know folks here seem to have been able to get centerline to carve a smooth curve but I can't figure out how. I had assumed it was the font I had been using but you'd think I could find one or two that would work. You can see from the screen shot and example of what centerline does with my fonts. Can anyone recommend some fonts that work well?

want2b
04-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Not really experienced with ccenterline but I have 2 questions, first what is the font you have shown and second is are you sure you clicked on centerline when selecting your text? My few attempts definitely look diferent than what you posted.
Rick h.

FWMiller
04-19-2014, 07:22 PM
This font is times new roman. Yes, I have definitely selected centerline. The bottom one I have highlighted the font box so you can see the squiggly vector path that centerline is following for this font. I see the same thing no matter which font I select. And if I carve it I get what I see in designer. I know others have posted similar issues but I always figured it was a font problem and I would eventually find a font that carves smooth. But so far, no luck. I'm using version 1.187 of designer.

SteveNelson46
04-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I tried to duplicate your text in 2.005 using "Times New Roman" font and it appears a little smoother on the screen. I didn't try to carve it. Also, you have to keep in mind this is a CNC router with a spinning bit cutting into wood. It's not a laser engraver so some jagged edges are to be expected.

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2014, 07:39 PM
I am wondering if you have a Mechanical Problem... I see you joined in 2012 so how many machine cut motor hours? And have you ever changed the Y Gear Box Bearings? If you had the machine turned off and un plugged and put a bit in the chuck and pulled in 4 directions, would you feel motion as in a loose bearing or something like the pinch roller rail bearing not tight enough to the rail?

What kind of Chuck? If a QC.... Do you have BB Marks on the Bit Holders?

Just some Random questions..

AL

FWMiller
04-19-2014, 07:52 PM
I tried to duplicate your text in 2.005 using "Times New Roman" font and it appears a little smoother on the screen. I didn't try to carve it. Also, you have to keep in mind this is a CNC router with a spinning bit cutting into wood. It's not a laser engraver so some jagged edges are to be expected.

Yours looks much better on the screen than mine does. I guess that is the improvement on 2.0. I do understand the limitations of a CNC cutting wood. However I have seen much better. I can cut very smooth vector paths doing other operations so I don't think the sloppy centerline text is a machine limitation.

FWMiller
04-19-2014, 07:56 PM
I am wondering if you have a Mechanical Problem...

AL

Thanks AL. My main issue is with the software. The machine carves what I see in the designer rendering. I have upgraded to carvetight spindle and the y/z truck is still pretty solid. I have about 125 hours on the machine, 25 since I upgrade the spindle.

DocWheeler
04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Actually they don't look much different when I create them in either 1.187 or 2.005.
They display differently when active depending on the version.
Larger text looks better in Designer than small text (2" high vs. 5/8" high).

I have only used Centerline in two carvings with version 2 and did not notice
anything different from previous carves using version 1 as far as smoothness.
Maybe I need to look closer :)

SteveNelson46
04-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Thanks AL. My main issue is with the software. The machine carves what I see in the designer rendering. I have upgraded to carvetight spindle and the y/z truck is still pretty solid. I have about 125 hours on the machine, 25 since I upgrade the spindle.

At this point I'm not sure of what could be causing the poor cuts. I recreated it again in 1.187 and it's still not as bad as yours. A couple of weeks ago Metallus worked with someone that I think had a similar problem. I'm not sure if it was the same problem but, maybe you need a special patch, if there is one. Give LHR a call and see if they can help.

cestout
04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
When I first got Centerline many years ago, I went thru my fonts and tested the ones I liked. If they worked, I took a screen shot of them labeled it and saved it. Scriptier ones and coligraphiish ones work especially well; but ones with sharp corners are usually good because they are accentuated in Centerline.
Clint

edsingletary
04-21-2014, 07:03 PM
How do I enabled center line on Designer2

henry1
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
How do I enabled center line on Designer2
did you not see the message I sent you
edsingletary send me a private message with your phone # and I will call you and tell you what to do ok

henry1
05-11-2014, 05:35 AM
did not know were to put
http://www.dsslegends.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23650&d=1399792333