PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright and Quality

texasinmi
04-19-2014, 07:23 AM
I have worked around the automotive industry for 15 years. I have watched as the Japanese have schooled the big 3 about quality. I have also watched as the big 3 have responded in a good way. As I do not believe in just complaining but proposing some possible solutions as well. Here I go, though I may be preaching to the choir:

1. I love my B machine but hate the lack of quality and robust design.
2. Quality is a matter of corporate culture
3. One of the many tools for quality improvement in statistical quality control. Us it to measure and then react to the data. You cannot improve what you cannot measure.
4. Many companies improve their quality using Design for Six Sigma, DFSS, for development and Six Sigma for production. Use the tools that are available in this area to improve quality.
5. There is an area of quality engineering called robust design which can provide additional tools to improve the overall robustness of the CW.
6. There is an analysis technique that was developed by the military called Failure Modes Effects Analysis, FMEA, for manufacturing and Design FMEA for product development. Its use has an excellent track record for helping companies improve quality.

Conclusions

1. Study your warranty data and forum feedback to identify the top 3 quality issues and focus on those. I am sure the forum members have some opinions on what these 3 should be!
2. Hire a contract quality engineer to help. The forum may prove to be a good source for some limited free engineering help. After all, we would be feathering our own beds.
3. My reading of the forum indicate that dust is a huge problem, my guess is it is the #1 issue. I suggest you do not sell a CW without a dust collector, make it mandatory. Another source of revenue to fund the quality improvement project is to sell a complete dust collection system, including the blower, hoses the whole works.
4. If the bearings are a big quality issue, which they appear to be, get higher quality more robust models. We are not talking about big bucks here.
5. If the FSC cable is as big a source of issues, as it appears to be, source a better quality one. Again, not big bucks.
5. Commit to being a world class DFSS company, at least 4 or 5 Sigma.
6. I recognize LHR is not a big company, but a bad reputation for quality will not help you grow.
7. Adopt as many quality engineering disciplines as it makes sense to use.
8. Some small, low cost fixes can get you a lot of bang for the buck. Again, the forum may help you engineer a solution.

Please accept this feedback with the positive attitude I wrote it with. I do love my machine when it works.

A loyal customer

texasinmi

aokweld101
04-19-2014, 08:57 AM
my reply is as a automobile, nothing last forever, things wear out... considering the activity the carvewright does... it is a very active machine, carvewright advertisement says it is for hobbyist not industrial use... I myself don't like buying parts, but the replacement parts are not so sky high that you can't afford them.

texasinmi
04-19-2014, 10:00 AM
I agree that maintenance is necessary, like changing the oil in your car. However, one of the things engineering management learned at the big 3 is that you cannot let those kinds of arguments that you make be an excuse for poor quality to start with. Production management at car companies used to say, "Get the product out and let the dealerships handle the quality issues under warranty." Then that decision began to come home to roost as warranty costs soared into the $1,000,000,000.s of dollars.

In today's world there is no excuse for poor quality.

texasinmi

lynnfrwd
04-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Every new model has delivered improvements. You weren't here in 2007.

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Ouch... That hurt... It is a hobby grade machine at a hobby price...

You get what you pay for and at this price it is a pretty incredable machine.

That is honest and not negative.... So I am not jumping on him.

And yes, lots of improvement since 2007.

AL

unitedcases
04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
I will ask...what are the big 3?

lynnfrwd
04-19-2014, 11:54 AM
I think he meant ford, Chevrolet and GM.

bergerud
04-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Ford, GM, and Chrysler?

RogerB
04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
The big three also got lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$ from the tax payers to save there ***. The CW is very good for the price. I have worked with wood for the past 20 yr. You want the best you pay the price. Some time's the best is living off the name from the past. Bostic come's to mined.

CW-HAL9000
04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I think he meant ford, Chevrolet and GM.

Chevrolet an GM are one company.

lynnfrwd
04-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Ok. Then I don't know, but that's the direction I took him to mean. ;) I'm a girl...

CW-HAL9000
04-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Ok. Then I don't know, but that's the direction I took him to mean. ;) I'm a girl...

But a girl who can carve! Thats special!

rmock
04-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I have one of those she's out in the shop right now, Yes she's very special

swaggerstick
04-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Chevrolet is part of GM. I think he meant Ford, Gm, and Chrysler as they were once know as the big 3. Not sure that you can classify them that way now. It is an old term that has carried over. They all have lost a big share of the market. I worked for GM parts plant.

Dan-Woodman
04-19-2014, 05:22 PM
The big three make computers that take extreme heat, cold, vibration, dust , rainstorms , etc. I would like to see LHR make a pwer supply robust enough to at lesast withstand vibration, dust and static electricity. My power supply went out several months ago just from my electric service going out and coming back on. Nothing else in the home was affected. This will make the third one I have had since 2006, so I'm waiting to see if these new ones are any better. The first two was from vibration before the new chuck.

cestout
04-19-2014, 06:00 PM
I agree with Connie because I was here in 2007. But practical thing LHR might consider to improve quality, cost, and remove a problem we StrartUers have to explain and apologize for is to bring manufacturing home. Manufacturers in this country are more responsive (faster and more reliable parts delivery etc.) and worker put out higher quality then the Asian workers. Several big companies have realized this.
Clint

Ropdoc
04-29-2014, 07:46 AM
I agree with texasinmi. I have had nothing but problems with my "A" version. Even sent it back for major circuit board repairs. I have done my best to be a "Loyal" customer. I even bought a "C" verson. But I am back to nothing but problems with it now. When I present my concerns and complaints. The reply back is "Well you didn't buy the warranty so we are unable to help. Unless you pay a fee." Hum a fee to fix what should have been enginnered better. I just want the machines I paid good money for to work. That is all I am asking. This last few years have hit me really hard. I do not ask for handouts. I am doing my best to support myself. But when I invest hard earned money in an American made product is it to much to ask that it work past the 3 month warranty period ?? Or if it does breakdown why not some customer care and not smart lip attitude. I am back to saving up money so I can fix both of my machines. All of this is with the hope I can make some money off of them.

SouthernSigns
04-29-2014, 09:35 AM
I think what many people fail to realize with these machines is the fact that they do require end user maintenance in order to be the most effective. 80% of the problems and complaints I see on these forums is directly related to end user neglect of basic maintenance issues. Next to that, I see alot of people here who have not allowed themselves to make it through the proverbial "learning curve" that is essential to getting the most out of these machines especially the users who start complaining about quality after using the machine for 3 months or less. At 3 months in you are only just beginning to master the basics. These machines can do so much more than what many people realize, but it takes time to get to that level of mastery. LHR / Carvewright as a company is in a similar position. The machine has improved exponentially over the years. Every improvement has been a result of learning from the mistakes and from customer feedback and trial / error. What we should all realize is that the company is ALWAYS looking and working to improve their products. I cant wait to see what they come up with in the next 5 years or 10 years. Comparing a 10 year old company to a 100 year old company is ridiculous. Im sure the "Big Three" had their own issues early on with quality issues and they still do. I wouldn't buy a Ford product if my life depended on it. Why/ Because I personally think their quality is horrible compared to other manufacturers and my opinion is based on my own personal experiences with them. I too own an A machine. I have invested alot of time and effort into doing the upgrades and performing the required maintenance on a regular basis. I love my machine and it operates flawlessly every time. Do I think it could be improved? Of course. I would love to see a built in dust reduction or collection system as part of the package deal...however, my table saw did not come with a dust collector either so I think that argument is invalid. I still have to manually clean the sawdust away from the motor on my table saws and other tools that did not come with a built in dust collection system.
In summary....You will get out of the CW machine what you put into it. Take the time to educate yourself on the many tools and operations the machine can perform. Allow yourself to get through that learning curve. Most of all....DO your maintenance on the machine. It is a machine...a tool. It requires some maintenance and cleaning...Anything less than that is just lazy. Just my two cents!! Happy Carving!!!

cjudas
04-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Since I am VERY new to this machine my voice may not carry too far but.... I am EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with my CW. She has done everything I have asked of her and has treated me well so far. Yes, I have had a couple minor concerns... "check rollers, check cut motor, and a flex shaft that was feeling pretty warm". With each of these issues I had the sense to STOP and do a little research on the issue. A good example is the flex shaft. I "thought" I was doing the right thing when I bought some Liquid Wrench chain lube. When the shaft heated up I STOPPED and did my research. I found out that Liquid Wrench had changed the make up of their product which made it ineffective. So, I got some of the stuff Carve Wright sells, which is a lot cheaper than Liquid Wrench and PROBLEM SOLVED. My point is, true, this is not a machine for mass production and thus, not built or designed for that. It is however an AFFORDABLE CNC FOR THE HOBBYIST, use it for that or go spend $$$$$$$ on a bigger machine and I BET you have issues with that one too. One of the BIGGEST and MOST IMPORTANT parts of MY machine is RIGHT HERE, THIS FORUM. This is where I do my research and this is where I get my solutions. It's not ALL ABOUT TOP OF THE LINE QUALITY, it's about being able to afford a machine and have FRIENDS here that help and support each other.

OK, my soapbox just broke so I guess I'm done. LOL

C Judas

dehrlich
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Yep, do they maintenance. And don't forget how complicated this machine is, stuff is gonna break. I almost gave up on my A machine when I had all the trouble to start, but I stuck with it and now it runs like a top (knock on cyber-wood).

Also, reference the auto makers... why would anyone want a Ford or Chevy? Dodge now has the best looking stuff out there. Look at the truck I just got a month ago and tell me that a Ford or Chevy truck can hold a candle to it. Not to mention, 390 HP from the factory (I got it well over 400 already with mods). Can't be beat. But, there was a time that Dodge was the low man on the totem pole. Give it a chance, improvements are being made all the time. And the best tool will stop working if you don't maintain it... keep the dust blown out, oil it where needed, and I ALWAYS unplug the machine from the wall when not in use.. we have lots of thunder storms. My two cents....

kcc2012
04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Dodge very funny Jeep is the way to go. :)

Mikewiz
04-29-2014, 08:24 PM
I'd take Chevy over Dodge any day.