PDA

View Full Version : flex shaft, replacement of spindle

aokweld101
04-18-2014, 12:43 AM
I have two machines... one has worn the square part of the flex shaft out two times I wonder if they make the flex shaft out of weaker material than where the square is that it fits into on the spindle I would think they would so it wouldn't wear the square on the spindle out... how would I check to make sure it's not wore out on where the flex shaft fits into the machine ? Thanks.... I have approximately 600 hrs. on it. I have turned the top hat around 180 degrees and it still tore the second flex shaft up.

lynnfrwd
04-18-2014, 12:47 AM
How long have you had your machines? After a certain amount of time you will need to replace it.

lynnfrwd
04-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Remember the holding it at each end test and twisting it?
More than 1/2" (1/8?) inch; replace?

aokweld101
04-18-2014, 12:50 AM
18 months... that test is for flex shaft am I right... I was more wondering where it fits into the spindle

bergerud
04-18-2014, 09:27 AM
The flex is spring steel and the spindle is hardened. I do not understand how these could wear out. Does your flex insert all the way into the spindle? It should go in at least 1/2". Could you post a picture of the worn end of the flex? To check the square hole in the spindle, shine a light from below and look down. By moving the light around you should be able to see the sides of the square hole.

aokweld101
04-18-2014, 10:22 AM
I will check the spindle with a light and see if that is worn and post a picture of it when I get in the shop today, I still have the worn out flex shaft... (I don't know why, its worn out on both ends) ...thanks Dan

ekimnamyr
04-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Here is another way to check for slop in the spindle, take a known good flex shaft and stick it in the spindle top hat, hold flex cable and twist the spindle back and forth if the flex cable does not move and the spindle does there is an issue with the square hole.