PDA

View Full Version : first large sign layout

myshop1044
04-15-2014, 08:28 AM
This will be my first large sign design. I am having trouble with the concept of laying a design out on 2- 11 1/4" boards
and having the outside and inside lines coming out correctly. All the lines will be vector and text will be centerline and one simple carving.
I was concerned with the bottom board when rotated in the machine to cut the lines will exit the board on the keypad side of the machine,
will this cause a problem? The top board when rotated in the machine, the lines will exit in the center of the machine, if I'm correct.
I then made a pattern of both inside and outside lines and I was able to rotate the ptn so the bottom board , it would have the exiting lines in the center of the machine.
Should I be concerned with this or am I over thinking this.
Will cut path work on half of the design ?
attached is the whole design on 2 -7" boards glued up.
the other 2 attached is my version of the designs lay out on separate boards.
A after thought, I will to make 2 of everything since the sign will have to be read from sides.
Any advice would be great help, feel free to adjust the 2 boards to help me.

Perry B.

DocWheeler
04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Perry,

Since I have yet to make an over-sized sign, take this with that understanding.
Since the CW will stop carving at the edges of the Virtual board, you do not have to
worry about not having roller support if your real board is wider than the virtual one.
If that is what was worrying you.

I think it is sometimes easier to carve separate patterns than to try to carve a two-sided design.

I am not sure about your statement about making "two of everything"; why have four faces?

myshop1044
04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Thank you Doc for the input, I will need to carve 2 separate signs and glue them together, so you can read them from either side.

Perry B.

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Correct, the machine will not harm itself and cut deep at the Brass Roller.... You can see on the boards I have cut paths and the machine lifts and cuts short.

Note the Masking Tape area with the missing cut path on the bottom. I cut 4 from each end.

And see the picture with the yellow arrow. The Y Gear Box skipped a tooth due to a worn bearing and gear. I heard it and stopped the machine and changed the gear box with a spare. That is the clicking I mentioned in the never ending Y Gearbox post.

AL

DocWheeler
04-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Thank you Doc for the input, I will need to carve 2 separate signs and glue them together, so you can read them from either side.

Perry B.
OK, I understand now, you were talking about pieces and I was reading your meaning as two completed signs.

kcc2012
04-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I've been working on 3 large sign's they are 6 feet long and 11 inches wide. Just letters but they needed to be double sided so I did two of each and glued them together. Now I have to figure out the best way to mount them to the 4X4 post's.

Ambrose

cestout
04-15-2014, 04:43 PM
If your project file shows 11" wide and you load a 12" wide board and center it, you will have a 1/2" lip at top and bottom for the rollers. I did an experiment a couple of weeks ago to prove this (raster carved however).
Clint