PDA

View Full Version : centerline vs. carve region

gman
04-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Point me in the right direction, please. can I use Centerline in a carved region? When I try it just disappears. I've got Designer 1.180. There are likely newer versions but the last I tried my Mac said no go.

DocWheeler
04-14-2014, 05:39 PM
You will need Conforming vectors software for that, here is the link (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21143&cat=252&page=1).

FWMiller
04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
If you are in a flat bottomed carve region I think you should be able to set the depth of the centerline text to the depth of the carve region and use it without conforming.

CarverJerry
04-14-2014, 06:34 PM
There are ways to do it without conforming text, but it's a risk. I use the conforming text all the time, works on just about any surface. Sometimes hard to justify the $100 but if you're going to be doing a lot of carving with text it's the only way. Check out the link DocWheeler posted.

fwharris
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
If you are in a flat bottomed carve region I think you should be able to set the depth of the centerline text to the depth of the carve region and use it without conforming.

You can not control the depth in centerline...

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Back in the early days.... I was making many Maltese Clocks. It had a flat region as part of the pattern that was a GREAT place to put the name of the Fire Dept in Centerline Text...

As you see, the text either goes away or looks light in the final design.

What I would do is bring up the pattern design very shallow and do the text layout in centerline and you should be able to see the text at this time. I would then select the 2 sets of text and copy them and copy them in a exact same size board and rename that project TEXT. I would go back to the first project and delete the text then set the pattern and cut path to the proper depth. The bit would touch the recessed area when checking for the board surface.

I would cut that project without any text. In my case the areas where the text was to go was very shallow, less than 1/4 inch.

I would run the Text Project but this time when the machine asks you if you want place the bit at the starting point to get the board depth, you move the head over the flat area in my case where the text is going to go. This sets the DEPTH slightly below the board surface but will let your centerline text carve.

The DANGER in this, is if the DEPTH of the Text Carve Area is TOO DEEP, the Bit can TRIP on the higher wood and snap a bit or snap a Z Truck.... Since I was dealing with 1/4 inch, it worked fine most of the time...

I don't know if any program changes have prevented this... but it is just 2 projects for the same board....

As seen by some of the text... I even had some light text and had to use a nail to press v text into the area making for a less than ideal project...

So 2 projects, one with just the text.

AL

mtylerfl
04-15-2014, 02:39 PM
... Sometimes hard to justify the $100 but if you're going to be doing a lot of carving with text it's the only way.

The price Jerry gave is incorrect (he said it's $100). The Conforming Vectors module is $50 and WELL worth the investment. :)

Here's the link: http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21143&cat=252&page=1

cestout
04-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I agree with MT! It works with any vector carving, not just Centerline.
Clint

CarverJerry
04-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Opps, Michael you are correct. It was the centerline that cost that much. My fault, sorry guys.