PDA

View Full Version : Easter Eggs for My Grandkids

mtylerfl
04-11-2014, 09:19 AM
My wife and I have two of our grandkids coming over this weekend, so I thought I would make them each a surprise - Easter Eggs with their names on them! I bought a bunch of 3"x"3x12" Basswood blocks, so I decided to use one of them for this. My design layout was based upon a 2.904" rotary diameter for this block. The diagonals from corner-to-corner measure 4.25", so that's the maximum size I could put into the jig. (I could have used a larger 4x4 Basswood stock, if I rounded or cut off the corners first - you just have to be sure that no portion of the diameter measurement exceeds 4.25".)

I created the layout for rotary using my original egg STL I created for a recent POM, then "decorated" one egg with simple "puffed" shapes using the CarveWright 3D Suite tools. I also used the horizontal array copy for the multiple decorative shapes at the base of the egg. I added their names using the Text Tool, then vertically Mirrored the decorations for the one egg to duplicate them on the other.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some photos of my last-minute project carved just yesterday. I will saw off the eggs from the stock and proceed to sand and apply finish today. I'll leave a flat bottom so the eggs will be able to stand on their own. I might make some kind of base with magnets in the base and egg bottoms too - I haven't decided yet.

lynnfrwd
04-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Can't wait to see them finished!

lvwood1212
04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Wow how nice the wife and myself was thinking of that the other day. Because just got rotary jig and was sanding the monthly Egg project was going to do after this one nice to see what you can do. More Ideas.

mtylerfl
04-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Wow how nice the wife and myself was thinking of that the other day. Because just got rotary jig and was sanding the monthly Egg project was going to do after this one nice to see what you can do. More Ideas.

Funny - I was just SURE someone else was going to beat me to it - figured I would see a bunch of eggs done on the rotary before I got a chance myself. I thought of the rotary egg thingy while sanding my POM egg, too!

DocWheeler
04-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Very cool project!

SteveNelson46
04-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Michael,

Nice Rotary Jig project. Are you going to put it in the Pattern Depot?

RogerB
04-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Very nice carve Michael. Are the kids doing the finishing.:p I know my grandkids love that part.

mtylerfl
04-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Very nice carve Michael. Are the kids doing the finishing.:p I know my grandkids love that part.

Thanks, Roger.

I'm doing the finish...Roy's egg is stained American Walnut and Kayla's is Traditional Cherry. Applying clear coats now. After the clear coats are cured enough, I will use a 18K Gold paint Pen to accent the details and their names. I'll give them to the kids on Sunday just before we take them back to Savannah to Mom.

Tomorrow afternoon we are taking the kids for a train ride and Easter Egg hunt (pre-Easter hunt, that is). They'll be egg-ed out by the time they get back home!

mtylerfl
04-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Michael,

Nice Rotary Jig project. Are you going to put it in the Pattern Depot?

I hadn't even thought about that, Steve. Food for thought, though!

It was just a personal project created on a Beta version of the software. That project file won't open on anything else, at the moment.

mtylerfl
04-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I posted a video on YouTube of the rotary Jig just finishing up the egg carving. (Starts out top view, clear cover view, view from under the cover, then LCD showing the final overcarve percentage - I manually stopped it at 104%.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgdg16u6o4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgdg16u6o4

fwharris
04-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Michael,

Nice video of the jig carve! It give the non jig owners a great show of how it works!

I know of something that would get rid of all of the saw dust! :D

mtylerfl
04-11-2014, 08:16 PM

I know of something that would get rid of all of the saw dust! :D

Hi Floyd,

I thought you might notice that build-up of curls and sawdust! I received one of your dust hoods as a gift and have it new in the box along with the 2HP Harbor Freight DC system and extra accessory kit. Sittin' here nice and pretty waiting for someone to unpack, assemble!:D

fwharris
04-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi Floyd,

I thought you might notice that build-up of curls and sawdust! I received one of your dust hoods as a gift and have it new in the box along with the 2HP Harbor Freight DC system and extra accessory kit. Sittin' here nice and pretty waiting for someone to unpack, assemble!:D

Well well well, sitting there and getting dusty I bet! :D Did you also get a set on installation instructions? If not let me know or you can down load it from the CW support site..

mtylerfl
04-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Whee! Finished up the eggs and just gave the grandkids their surprise!

See the photos and their captions...

ronboley
04-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow...beeeutiful finishes!