PDA

View Full Version : Trial DXF test run?

keninar
04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Am entering my third year with my CW - and still have a great deal to learn. For the most part it has been a most enjoyable and enlightening experience.

Only add-on is Centerline - well well worth the investment!

I have yet to invest in the DXF import software, having been able to employ "work-arounds" to achieve the result needed.

I sense I've run into a scenario where those will no longer suffice.

I have drawn a set of entities(arcs/circles) in Corel and saved in .DXF format and would like to see how these "translate into a pattern" via the DXF Import software.

Is there is current owner of the DXF module that would be willing to do the conversion as a test? (part to see if the conversion result is workable, but perhaps more so to determine if I'm smart enough to o down that route.)

Using Designer version 1.187

Thoughts?

Thanks!

keninar

fwharris
04-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Post away and we will see what we can do for you. Also I think you can use DXF in the demo mode..

keninar
04-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Here's the file for a trial run - and a screenshot of the CDR file68776

.dxf attached.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

keninar

fwharris
04-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Looks good...

blhutchens
04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
are you building a Longworth chuck? I just built a self centering drill jig for the rotary using this basic design

keninar
04-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks, fw!!

That addresses a couple of queries I have at this point. (I'm sure there will be more - I'm just not sharp enough to recognize them yet!)

The vectors seemed to have translated from Corel through the importer in Designer quite well. Even a few anomalies, slight but intentional irregularities, seemed to translate well.

As to entity manipulation, is there a way to group and move the consolidated entity as a whole? The board size of the .mpc was 13 x 13. Let us say I wished to go to a 14 x 14 and center the drawing/entities on that new board size. Is the board size set at time of importation? (Which would address the issue fine) . I tried to group and move - and the arcs did just what they thought I told them: center on both the H and V axis - not moving as a "grouped set.

I really appreciate our willingness to assist on this.

keninar

keninar
04-05-2014, 06:30 PM
BLHutchens: Yup - got into a discussion with a fellow turner on the Longworth chuck - and thought the CW should be able to handle this well - and allow for scaling (the original dxf) would a chuck of a different size be needed.

k

fwharris
04-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks, fw!!

That addresses a couple of queries I have at this point. (I'm sure there will be more - I'm just not sharp enough to recognize them yet!)

The vectors seemed to have translated from Corel through the importer in Designer quite well. Even a few anomalies, slight but intentional irregularities, seemed to translate well.

As to entity manipulation, is there a way to group and move the consolidated entity as a whole? The board size of the .mpc was 13 x 13. Let us say I wished to go to a 14 x 14 and center the drawing/entities on that new board size. Is the board size set at time of importation? (Which would address the issue fine) . I tried to group and move - and the arcs did just what they thought I told them: center on both the H and V axis - not moving as a "grouped set.

I really appreciate our willingness to assist on this.

keninar

Yes the board size was set during the import process. To move/size all at the same time either just select the group or all in the group.

And no problem, always glad to help out..

bergerud
04-05-2014, 06:57 PM

There are "center group horizontally" and "center group vertically" buttons. Or look in the layout menu - align - center group horizontally/vertically. (More than one thing has to be selected for these to be active.)

keninar
04-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks. Once again on the centering , if I may.

1 Selected all the entities and "grouped" them. Seemed to be indicated in the item list on the left.68780

2. Selected the "Group" from the list - but Centering tools are not available.68781

3. Selected all entities from the drawing, selected the V and H center tools and the "group" integrity was not preserved: 68782 Granted, it DID center everything well!

But I kinda want to preserve the spatial relationship. I foresee a need to carve a recess in the center to accept differing faceplate diameters - so it would be quite nice to center this carve with the outside cutout (given the accuracy of the machine). As Mr Harris has indicated, the board dimensions made be set at the point of importation - which would accomplish the same thing.

Still, I would like to understadn the mechanics of grouping/moving as it applies here. I see many other applications.

Thanks!

bergerud
04-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I do not think you used the right centering tools. It is called group center. The objects do not need to be in a group. You only need select more than one and they will be centered without moving relative to each other.

keninar
04-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Come on - "Group Center?" I've been looking at Designer and fighting the challenge to move individually drawn vectors...........and NEVER realized that tool existed????!!!

Once again - Sincere Thanks to the Board Vets for a) being willing to help those less intelligent; and 2) not making me feel quite as ignorant as I apparently must be!

Group Center? Well I never.............................

Thanks!

ken

DickB
04-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Come on - "Group Center?" I've been looking at Designer and fighting the challenge to move individually drawn vectors...........and NEVER realized that tool existed????!!!

Once again - Sincere Thanks to the Board Vets for a) being willing to help those less intelligent; and 2) not making me feel quite as ignorant as I apparently must be!

Group Center? Well I never.............................

Thanks!

kenI believe that is a Designer 2 feature only.

fwharris
04-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Try using the "align" tools. It has group horizontal and vertical centering...

bergerud
04-05-2014, 08:18 PM
I believe that is a Designer 2 feature only.

No, it is a 1.187 feature. I think they changed the button bitmaps in 2.0.

keninar
04-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Got 'em in 1.187: Here:68784

I never realized they were there. Always used the other ones -the Center Vertically and Center Horizontally (As opposed to the Group Center Vertically and Group Center Horizontally)

Who'd a thunk it.

Thanks again.

ken

FWMiller
04-05-2014, 08:26 PM
It is in 1.187 but under "Layout" / "Align"/ "Center Group". Took me a while before I figured this one out on my own since intuitively you'd look for it under "center".

keninar
04-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Ha! My intuition didn't get me too far!!

(Guess I should have asked the wife. Her intuition is ALWAYS right!!!)

Thanks again!