PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mill on the Rotary Jig

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Well, the plan worked. I started with a 2 3/4" square blank and cut the top and bottom parts to length from it. Then, on the lathe, I drilled the holes and turned a double ended plug to hold the top and bottom together and a jam chuck to fill the bottom hole. The jam chuck was inserted and trimmed to create a overall length of 9 1/8". The finished height is 7 7/8".

mtylerfl
04-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Fantastic, Steve! Great work and very nice outcome!

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks Michael.

Foggycarver
04-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Yes! that is a great job and alot of good problem solving on how to hold the work piece.

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks Foggycarver. I made 3 attempts before I finally got the one I was satisfied with. Mostly getting the top joint and the bottom length in the right locations. The one shown in the pictures is just the prototype made from a redwood 4 X 4. Fairly cheep wood to practice with.

fwharris
04-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Steve,

Great job sir! Now you lathe guys need to show us non lathe guys some tricks!

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Steve,

Great job sir! Now you lathe guys need to show us non lathe guys some tricks!

Floyd,

I guess you could use the Rotary Jig to carve the plug and the jam chuck but, it might take a few trial and error attempts. They have to fit really snuggly. It would also depend on the accuracy of the drilled holes (wobble). I drilled mine on the lathe but, you could use a drill press. Also, I made notes as I progressed through the trial and error process and if anyone is interested I will post them. Oh, btw, thank you for your kind words.

fwharris
04-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Floyd,

I guess you could use the Rotary Jig to carve the plug and the jam chuck but, it might take a few trial and error attempts. They have to fit really snuggly. It would also depend on the accuracy of the drilled holes (wobble). I drilled mine on the lathe but, you could use a drill press. Also, I made notes as I progressed through the trial and error process and if anyone is interested I will post them. Oh, btw, thank you for your kind words.

Yes please share your notes!!!

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Attached are my notes and the .mpc. I really would like to see others carve this and see their modifications.

EDIT: These instructions are for the Crush Grind mechanism.

eelamb
04-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Steve, nice combination of the CW usage and your lathe.

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Steve, nice combination of the CW usage and your lathe.

Thanks Eddie.

fwharris
04-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the write up. Some day the lathe instructions will come in handy for me as I do not have one right now. I do know someone who does though and I am sure he would have no problem helping out on a few of these...

Foggycarver
04-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the write up. Some day the lathe instructions will come in handy for me as I do not have one right now. I do know someone who does though and I am sure he would have no problem helping out on a few of these...

Just holler :)

Foggycarver
04-05-2014, 10:27 PM
It is nice to work the lathe and the carver at the same time. It's really neat to see how each can compliment a project and have it come together. I'm glad to see this Steve, I don't think i could ever give up the lathe but the machine can do so much more with putting patterns on a work piece to make it even more special. How long did it take to carve Steve?

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 10:30 PM
It is nice to work the lathe and the carver at the same time. It's really neat to see how each can compliment a project and have it come together. I'm glad to see this Steve, I don't think i could ever give up the lathe but the machine can do so much more with putting patterns on a work piece to make it even more special. How long did it take to carve Steve?

About 4 hours carving time on optimal setting.

Foggycarver
04-05-2014, 10:35 PM
About 4 hours carving time on optimal setting.

Yes thats the hard part for me. On the lathe i can turn a deer call in about 15 min and a pepper mill in 25 min. I wonder if you can turn the shape and then carve the pattern

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Yes thats the hard part for me. On the lathe i can turn a deer call in about 15 min and a pepper mill in 25 min. I wonder if you can turn the shape and then carve the pattern

You might be able to but, it would take some thought and planning. Anyway, carving on the Rotary Jig really isn't work once the carving is started. Just watching the blinking lights. There is something to be said for exact repeatability also.

jiml
04-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Pepper mill? I wonder why one of those would be in the night stand? :)

SteveNelson46
04-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Pepper mill? I wonder why one of those would be in the night stand? :)

I don't know. It doesn't have batteries so it can't be used as a flashlight.

dltccf
04-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Perhaps someone wishes to spice up their night?