PDA

View Full Version : Proxxon PS 13

atldal
04-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but here it goes. Has anyone tried the Proxxon PS 13 sanding system. It looks like it would be good to use for many applications.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Proxxon-PS-13-12-Volt-Pen-Sander-Transformer-sold-seperately-28594/203459681

DocWheeler
04-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Yes I have used it. It works well in places that it can be used.
It is pretty aggressive and easy to handle.

Not sure if it is the same manufacturer, but it looks the same.

mtylerfl
04-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi Ken,

Are you using the stock sandpaper or something else? I read awhile back the stock sandpaper didn't last but a very short time and folks mentioned "using their own" instead. Do you have any tips on how to affix an alternate sandpaper to the various heads the tool comes with?

DocWheeler
04-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Michael,

Sorry for the delay, I'm supposed to be doing something worthwhile today, but as usual I'm not.

I have used it only a couple of times and was actually impressed with how long the sandpaper lasted!
Used it mostly on the nameplate I made for you as I remember, trying to get the bottoms of the card-holders smooth.

DocWheeler
04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I looked it up in the catalog, it is a different make.
See it here (http://www.micromark.com/micro-sander,7704.html).
No, I,m not rich, just old and I need to pamper my joints.

So, my comments are about a different sander.
Maybe that is the reason for the price difference?

While I'm at it, there are two interesting catalogs that I get,
Micromark.com [Micro Mark] (where I got the sander) and
japanwoodworker.com [Japan Woodworker] where the prices scare me.

atldal
04-05-2014, 11:12 PM
I read that a lot of people are buying adhesive backed sandpaper and just using it

atldal
04-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I looked at that link and it looks almost like the same tool only 110v instead of 12v. I think I like the idea of that one better.

DocWheeler
04-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Atldal,

Sorry to have not noticed the "12 volt" description in your original post.
I just looked at the tool itself and thought I recognized it as the one I had.

Maybe using the sandpaper from Micro Mark would work better on the 12 volt model.

atldal
04-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I like the tool you have better I think. I will keep looking around and pick one up.

cestout
04-06-2014, 03:53 PM
I have had a Dremel Contour sander from before the CarveWright and even before the CompuCarve. Unfortunately then quit making them just about the time they would become very popular. My first one quit working but I found a replacement o Ebay. There was also a Sears knockoff on Ebay . It has rubber things of various shapes that fit inside a sandpaper sleeve. They are round - different diameters concave and convex - pointy, flat etc. I couldn't survive without it. and my mops. We need to all holler at Dremel to put it back into production.
Clint

mtylerfl
04-06-2014, 05:40 PM
I looked at that link and it looks almost like the same tool only 110v instead of 12v. I think I like the idea of that one better.

Me too! Nice to not have to buy a voltage transformer. Thanks for the link to the MicroMark, Doc!

mtylerfl
04-06-2014, 05:52 PM
...We need to all holler at Dremel to put it back into production.
Clint

I agree. Perhaps they'll consider bringing it back. They have discontinued a number of items over the years. Must be either they didn't sell enough, or those items gave them troubles. I discovered another discontinued item last November...I had one of those Dremel-brand super-thin 7/8" dia. sawblades which served me well for a couple decades. It finally broke off from the mandrel and I was surprised I could no longer get one from Dremel or their retailers. Fortunately, I found a replacement made by another company and ordered it from Amazon.

DocWheeler
04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I really do not remember paying that much for it, I think it was about $70 or so at that time.
I could be wrong about that, either way don't let my wife know that I spent that much money on it!

When I read through the Micro Mark catalog I see all kinds of interesting things.
Interestingly, when I look at it again I see many more that I didn't see the first time.

The only things I've gotten from them is the sander that we are talking about and
those plastic sanding "sticks" with the 1/4" sanding belts (http://www.micromark.com/micro-sanding-wand-set,7760.html) that work very well.

atldal
04-07-2014, 05:55 AM
I also have a sears contour sander that I liked for larger projects that they stopped making sanding paper for. Seems like they are good for making a product, then getting rid of all parts that are needed for it to run. I have an industrial planer/molder of theirs that you can't get the blades for anymore.