PDA

View Full Version : Merging two Vectors

DianMayfield
04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I am working with an DXF imported file. It is a bare tree, and it ended up with two splines. I have tried every combination merging, clipping, conforming and cannot get the small spline to carve to the depth of the background carve region.

The background carve region is set to .18, so is the "gap" carve region
The tree is set to .141

Any ideas on what I might be missing?
Dian

bergerud
04-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Have you tried clipping exclusive on the main carve region?

DianMayfield
04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
When I changed the background carve region to clip/exclusive and then cycled through all of the merge/clip/inverting options on the gap region, there was no change. The frustrating part is I can get the gap to carve into the background if I move it to an open area. Getting it to carve down into the tree is the issue.

bergerud
04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
I believe that clip exclusive is the answer. Can you post the mpc?

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
I am working with an DXF imported file. It is a bare tree, and it ended up with two splines. I have tried every combination merging, clipping, conforming and cannot get the small spline to carve to the depth of the background carve region.

The background carve region is set to .18, so is the "gap" carve region
The tree is set to .141

Any ideas on what I might be missing?
Dian

A carve region needs to be a closed path. Move one of the vertices to see if it is connected. If it's not then only one end will move. If it is, all of the lines connected to it will move with it. Select undo and try another vertex. To connect two end point vertices, move one on top of the other. You will see a red star in the background when they are connected. You can also select "Toggle Non-Endpoints" from the "View" menu. This will hide all vertices that are not endpoints.

EDIT: Also, the carve region may be too small for the size of the bit.

DianMayfield
04-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the responses! I do have conforming checked, did toggle non-end points and got just a white outline.

Spline2 copy is the one I played with the vertices.

I am the figure it out kinda person, but three hrs is about my limit :)

The file is 5megs and will not upload.

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the responses! I do have conforming checked, did toggle non-end points and got just a white outline.

Spline2 copy is the one I played with the vertices.

I am the figure it out kinda person, but three hrs is about my limit :)

The file is 5megs and will not upload.

If you only get a white line when you turned off "Toggle End-Points" then you have a closed path and should be able to create a carve region unless the area is too small or it is a carve region within a larger carve region. Try unchecking the "Conform" box, turn off all clipping and merging, and set the depth manually.

If you prefer, I can send you my email address in a PM and you can send me the file.

bergerud
04-05-2014, 11:31 AM
How about just breaking the loop and connecting it to the main vector. After all, it is only tree branches.

fwharris
04-05-2014, 11:33 AM
WAG here but try dragging one of the red points out so see if it might be over lapped/twisted on itself. I've seem some vectors that look like they are drawn correctly and had similar issues. I just started moving points around and found some that were twisted around and had to be straightened out.

DianMayfield
04-05-2014, 11:36 AM
I may have made too many changes to track at this point :) I took puffing off of the tree and now the file is small enough to upload.

SteveNelson46
04-05-2014, 11:38 AM
You can also try unselecting the line and use it as a guide to redraw the region over the top of it. Then delete the original.

DianMayfield
04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I copied it and played with the copy..seemed clean.

bergerud
04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Clip exclusive on the main tree.

DocWheeler
04-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Dan, What version of Designer are you using?
Can't open it in 2.005.

bergerud
04-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Opps, sorry, beta version. Will fix.

DianMayfield
04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Gentlemen.

Thank you for all of your help! After installing the .005 update all is well.

Do so hate it being a stupid miss. I spent so much time on the background and gap piece I never thought about the darn tree.

Because I do not own the "tree", I will be deleting my upload. Hate to do it, but we know there are those out there that will take advantage. Bergerud, if you would do the same I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for being such a great support group!